Summer ride planned: Ventura-Monterey - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 29th, 2008, 6:54 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Summer ride planned: Ventura-Monterey

Next summer, my wife and I will take a West coast trip. For planning purposes, how much time should I plan on for a ride from Ventura to Monterey, mainly on Hwy 1, over a major holiday weekend. No choice on dates, it will be 4th of July weekend. All we can do is leave Ventura early, maybe I could get the wife out the door at 0600 if I'm lucky. Thanks for any advice shared.
Scott
NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 29th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Re: Summer ride planned: Ventura-Monterey

Not clear how many days you have for the trip, is it a round trip?

Ventura to Monterey is about 275 miles if you swing thru Solvang so is doable in one day if you eat and look quick.

Hopefully you have more time for something like this;

Day 1
Ventura to Santa Barbara, 22 miles, stop and look around.
On to Solvang, 51 miles for breakfast/sightsee.
On to Morro Bay, 80 miles for lunch (many shops to enjoy) and book afternoon tour for Hearsts Castle which is 34 miles farther north.
Return back south 14 miles to Cambria for the night. There are some upscale accomodations at San Simeon but Cambria is a jewel.

Day 2
Cambria to Monterey is 102 miles of the most beautiful coastline anywhere!
Take your time, stop at the overlooks and just sit and enjoy. Many small art galleries, Big Sir, Pebble Beach Scenic Drive, did I mention the fabulous coastline?

Day 3
Montery to Holister, 40 miles and then pick up Hwy 25 southbound. (Be sure to fuel up in Holister as fuel is scarce on this lonely road thru the foothills).
Proceed 103 miles to Parkfield for lunch (stop a Pinnacles State Park on the way).
Then its 182 miles back to Ventura if in a hurry or head over to Yosemite National Park, Lake Tahoe, or Death Valley.

Google any of the mentioned places for more info.

Come out in May and join us for our Cambria weekend http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43237

April showers bring May flowers (global warming might be screwing this old rhyme up)

July can get warm inland but the coast is usually nice.

Keep us informed of your plans and maybe someone can meet up and ride along or join you for a meal along the way.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old Dec 29th, 2008, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
SEG

This will be a one-way trip, departing from Ventura, early in the morning and then heading north, stopping in Monterey for the night. We're due in Mill Valley, the following day. We'll spend 6 nights in Mill Valley and take day trips into S.F. and probably a day trip to Alice's Restaurant in Woodside. I'll post more as we get closer to the time of the trip. Because this will all happen during the height of the vacation period (4th of July weekend), we decided to get our reservations in early, and hopefully this save us some money. Thanks for the advice.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:56 am

Doug's route is a good one, but you can definitely do it in a day. Along with the expected heavy holiday traffic, keep in mind this is the same weekend as the MotoGP races at Laguna Seca in Monterey. So enforcement will be higher than normal, but you'll see a whole lot of bikes!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 30th, 2008 at 5:49 am.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Thanks for the tip about Moto GP & LE

Thanks for the heads-up about the Moto GP races in Monterey and the likelihood that the roads will be extra heavily patrolled. I do tend to ride at a brisk pace on the primary roads. Later I'll work on picking the small side/day trips to make during our West coast trip. The trip in general terms will be:
NYC-Ventura-San Francisco-Cody, WY-Mount Rushmore-Duluth-Chicago-NYC, about 7,000 miles. Appreciate the suggestions on routes, places worth a stop. Will report later as the planning progresses on this trip. In the spring, we'll plan some regional trips, probably down south in early spring and the NE in late spring/early summer.
Scott
Manhattan

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 7:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Post your day trips, and maybe some of us could meet up with you around Lake Berryessa, Napa, or Sonoma areas, good day rides from Mill Valley, and Sacramento.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in