Bob Bacon Injured in Accident - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Bob Bacon Injured in Accident

Bob Bacon, a long time member of our LT family as well as a CCR Board member, went down on his LT Monday morning commuting on 880 through Oakland, CA. According to what his friend Ken told me, he developed some kind of shimmy in the bike (possibly loss of tire pressure, unknown what happened at this point) and he went down on the freeway in traffic, sliding down the roadway. During the course of this a car ran over Bob's legs, breaking his right thigh and effectively crushing his left ankle. He has had surgery and they have pinned his thigh and ankle back together, but the long term prognosis is unclear at this point as far as next steps and his path to recovery.

Bob is in Eden Valley Medical Center in Castro Valley, CA., where they expect him to stay for at least the next 5 days. I just spoke with him and he's awake, but on pretty heavy medication so not able to communicate too well. I plan on going to see him tomorrow morning, and I'll post an update if I get any more information.

Please have Bob in your thoughts and prayers as he starts his recovery process.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Bob Bacon Injured in Accident

Wow that sucks Please give Bob my best wishes and let me know if he needs anything or if you think he'd appreciate a more visits. I know I was pretty grumpy in the hospital and didn't really want to see people, but everyone is different.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Hey Bob
If there is any thing I can do to help you now or later during your recovery please call me 707-974-7743.

Bruce

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #4 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 5:41 pm

Bob, Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.
This is exactly what was going thru my mind after we crashed.
Sorry it had to happen to you..
I guess we'll find out what happened along the way.

John & Lindy

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 6:08 pm
Old Dawg

Wow, this is really sad news. Jessica and I are praying for a speedy and full recovery Bob. When your better I am sure we can come up with some Baconized jokes but for now please know you are in our thoughts.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #6 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 6:44 pm

Man, this is not good. Bob, like David said, has many, many miles under his belt and I can't imagine what he's gonna feel if he can't get back on the horse in short order.

Being run over by an automobile is nightmarish in thought, butt to actually experience it!!! Good grief!! And I know it coulda been a lot worse, butt having a broken and then penned hip, and a crushed ankle, and maybe other injuries that'll take a while to heal up, is just mind numbing for anyone.

Can't help Bob much from Boerne, butt when anyone pays him a visit, please convey that I've got him in my thoughts and prayers, along with wishes for a speedy and complete recovery from this event. And that I'll be looking forward to another of his cross country trips, with a stopover in Boerne like the last time.

Thanks in advance to David, and anyone else in the vicinity, for keeping us informed on Bob's progress in recovery.
post #7 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 7:07 pm

Bob,
I'm sure it will be a while before you are up to reading this, but Kay and I are thinking of you and Barbara. And like others have written, if thereís anything either of you need donít hesitate to ask.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #8 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 7:56 pm

Dave,

Please pass on to Bob and Barbara they are in our thoughts and prayers as well for a speedy recovery.

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #9 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 9:06 pm

Bob,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good drugs. Know that your in our thoughts and prayers for your recovery.
David please pass on our best wishes.

John and Cathy

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #10 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 2:07 am

David, please, pass on my thoughts and prayers to Bob and Barbara.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #11 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 2:26 am

Best wishes to Bob and Barbara. I'll pray for a speedy and complete recovery.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #12 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 7:37 am

Bob,

Wishing you a speedy recovery from Texas. It sound like you have a long road of therapy ahead of you. It really makes me pause when this happens to someone with so much more experience than most of us.

Wishing you the Christmas gift of good medical care and the presence of family and friends.

All the best Wolfgang and Emily

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #13 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Unhappy Re: Bob Bacon Injured in Accident

Roz and I wish Bob a full recovery. Our thoughts and prayers go out for him and his family, especially over the holidays.

On a side note, I had a shimmy in my front end last year that was bad enough to cause me to pull over to check it out. I was on I-80 at the time. I did a quick check of the air pressure and the front bearings. It turned out to be a bad tire. The inside tread separated and created goose bumps on the outside. This wasn't a new tire either. It had plenty of miles on it.

Bob & Roz Wallace
post #14 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

All the best for Bob and Family...

Yes, you are in our prayers... especially in your time of need...

Hope you can get back in the saddle again...soon!

God Bless and keep you!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Saw Bob this afternoon and I posted a quick update in the thread in the bike talk forum. Here's a link to it -

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=23

Bob really appreciates the thoughts, prayers and kind words. Even in his somewhat altered state he was touched by the outpouringof well wishes. Keep the good thoughts coming!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #16 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Thank You David for visiting Bob and the updates.

Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery.
Please let the HDDC Posse know if there is anything we can do to help durring his recovery.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #17 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2008, 12:27 pm

There is no words to express our concern, wishing you the quickest recovery in history Bob if there is anything we can do please drop us a line
Ed and Dovie

Ed & Dovie Crum
99 K1200lt
2002 R1150RT
post #18 of 29 Old Dec 26th, 2008, 11:20 am

I just got on the computer for the first time in days. I'm shocked. And depressed. This brings back bad memories of my accidents. This couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Or couple. They are special people. We are all with you Bob and can't wait for you to get home, heal up and get better. I'll be anxious for more reports and updates. Your friend, Roger

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #19 of 29 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Just checking in to see if Bob is ok. He's been on my mind all week. And Barbara too. I sure hope things got better and he is healing well. Thanks...

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #20 of 29 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Got an snipet update today that Bob is off the super meds and lucid. Still at Eden Valley Med center. Seems to be on the mend but with a good deal of rehab in front of him. Dave was thinking he(Dave) might be able to take a peak at the bike today. I'm sure we'll see another update soon.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #21 of 29 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
Just checking in to see if Bob is ok. He's been on my mind all week. And Barbara too. I sure hope things got better and he is healing well. Thanks...

Hi Roger;

Most recent reports are here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43153

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Last edited by dougholck; Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:03 am.
post #22 of 29 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer, Doug. I'm putting all updates I have in the thread Doug has the link to. I just posted an the latest news about 10 minutes ago.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #23 of 29 Old Jan 4th, 2009, 9:15 am

Hey guys... I updated the new thread last night http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43153

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #24 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:04 pm

How's Bob doing? Anybody know?

Regards,
-joel
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2009, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

I talked to him over the weekend and have seen hima few times. He's on the path to recovery. He had the surgery to fuse his ankle about 4 weeks ago and has a Taylor Spatial Frame (check wikipedia) supporting his lower leg during the healing process. He's able to get around on crutches some now so he's not limited to the bed or short stints in a wheelchair. He's in very good spirits and is doing the work the therapists are telling him to in order to heal as quickly and completely as possible. Iplan on paying him a visit again someitme in the next 2 weeks, and I'll try to give another updated after that.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #26 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Anything new on the crash analysis? I read through both threads and didn't find
any conclusions yet. Did the Insurance company already take the bike away?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #27 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2009, 7:04 am

Thanks for the update David. I was pretty impressed that the first thing Bob was worried about was how he was going to shift his motorcycle. Please pass on my regards when you see him. (Or, hi Bob if you see this!)

Take care,
-joel
post #28 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2009, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Bike is still at the shop as Bob has not reached a final agreement with them on it. no final determination on teh cuase of the accident, and probably will never know definitively. Best guess is black ice, oil, antifreeze, or some other spilled substance on the roadway that caused a loss of traction. But that's just my opinion; nothing conclusive has come from any investigation that I am aware of.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #29 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Hey Joel! Yes, I check in here once in a while. You would think I had lots of time to goof off while recuperating but I'm just working from home, putting in more hours than I did before the accident!

David summed it up pretty well. I was at the doctors office on Monday (getting there via ambulance!) and he x-rayed the legs. Told me they were healing pretty well and come back in another month. I did ask him when he thought I could get this cage thing off my left leg (originally it was estimated to be 3 to 4 months) and he said two more months was likely. Good thing too since I've got a charity ball in exactly 2 months and I could never get my tuxedo pants over this thing!

I'm still planning to replace the LT around June and be at CCR with the Mrs.to help check everybody in!

James - No further word on the accident. David and others went over the bike with a fine tooth comb and found nothing. I got the CHP accident report on Monday and they sez it's my fault for losing control of the bike. They apparently didn't find (or didn't look too hard) for anything slippery on the road. As David sez, that's why they call 'em accidents.

Thanks again to everyone for the flowers and kind thoughts and words here in the forums. It all helps!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Last edited by ltcommuter; Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:44 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in