Death Valley Lodging - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Death Valley Lodging

Hey Doug, Ted and any Death Valley Denizens:
I'm thinking of riding down to Death Valley in late March or early April, depending on the rain, to see if I can catch some wild flower blooms. I'll be going with a buddy on an RT and my wife. Any thoughts on places to stay outside the valley, w/ the wife we won't be camping, that allow for a reasonable ride into DV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Re: Death Valley Lodging

Stay in Furnace Creek at the hotel. You can get a room or a cabin.

You can send your wife to the spa while you go and ride.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Why do you want to stay outside the valley? If this is a cost decision:

There are a number of "lesser" priced room options in Beatty, NV which is about 30 miles east over one mountain range from Beatty Junction inside the park which is a very central access point to all Death Valley offers in any direction. You can get a "decent" room in Beatty at the El Portal Motel and the Stagecoach Hotel for about $50 a night. Both are ah, "vintage" establishments probably built in the 60s but really not bad for the value proposition. If you don't like cigarette smoke odor you may be out of luck but be certain to book ahead and insist on a non-smoking room. There is also a Motel 6 in town.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Stay in Furnace Creek at the hotel. You can get a room or a cabin.

You can send your wife to the spa while you go and ride.
I would agree to a certain extent. The Furnace Creek Ranch has rooms in the $150 range but also offers a number of quality amenities plus access to a great restaurant, gift shop, and ice cream in easy walking distance surrounded by a beautiful setting. The more opulent Furnace Creek Inn up the hill is only open 6-7 months out of the year(no ac) and is more of a unique luxury experience but I doubt you could get a room for less than $325 a night. It may be well worth your time and experience to stay at the Ranch versus Beatty(2 hr roundtrip each day) but if you're wife is like mine, staying behind on a riding day isn't the point of being on the road together.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 5:11 pm
BMW Guru

You should call the Resort first. When we were there in January of this year the Resort was EMPTY and you could have had a room for $150 bucks. March may be a different story but it's worth a call. It is a VERY nice place to stay...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back guys. I wanted to make the trip last year but somethings came up and I had to let it go. But, when I was lookinhg at locations to stay eveything in the valley seemed booked up at that time. If I can get a place inside the valley it would be great. I will check out the suggestions.......
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
You should call the Resort first. When we were there in January of this year the Resort was EMPTY and you could have had a room for $150 bucks. March may be a different story but it's worth a call. It is a VERY nice place to stay...
Late March and early April is prime time for Death Valley. Spring break time plus the wild flower bloom not to mention decent temps both day and night bring in the "crowds." Yet, it truly is the best time to go. I would stay in Furnace Creek Ranch if you can. I believe they have queen bungaloes for about $150 a night.

Bob Morrow #4204

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in