CHP says loud pipes are cool! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy CHP says loud pipes are cool!

I find it incredibly discouraging if the CHP has really bought into the concept of loud pipes having anything to do with rider safety. Study after study have disproven this "theory" and yet we have a CHP spokesperson spouting it verbatim as an excuse not to enforce the law. The loud pipes are part of the Harley cruiser culture that also proliferates other unsafe riding practices such as wearing dark clothing, bottlecap helmets(most also illegal), riding side by side, short rides to long stops at bars, and have the largest demographic of older, inexperienced, and very part-time riders more prone to accidents. How much more visible was that sheriff riding a Harley motor on Coloma Road last week? Why do CHP motor officers and numerous local departments prefer those barely audible RTPs if their exhaust systems are so "unsafe" and "invisible?" It was a pleasure to see loud pipe laws being enforced at Yellowstone this year. Seems no matter how many lives they "save" they really piss off the buffalo.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1403291.html

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 3:13 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: CHP says loud pipes are cool!

If I am stuck in traffic running beside some soccer mom in her mini van, I opt for the loud pipes any day.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
If I am stuck in traffic running beside some soccer mom in her mini van, I opt for the loud pipes any day.

Huh? What on earth could riding next to Sarah Palin have to do with wanting, of all things, loud pipes.

I just thank the lord I am in the seat I am, not riding shotgun in the van.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Gold Supporter

Wild Bill I said "Soccer Mom" not "Hockey"

Now if I were ridin next to her I would be honking the horn to get her to pull over.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 6:42 pm

OK you are going to hate this ( maybe)

First : Loud pipes are a pathetic attempt to say "Hey look at me" for those who have nothing else going on in their lives.

Second: as a safety device they are pointing in the wrong direction You will notice that EVERY!! horn on EVERY!!! vehicle is pointing forward! Hmmm... concept.

Third : OLD people don't hear any better than they see.

Only in this country do WE!! ( you vote don't you?) allow " I did not see him" as a defense.

IN Japan if you say that They TAKE your license since it's your job as a driver to SEE!!!.

ONLY the certain punishment of the court system will come any where close to helping this.

IF you hit a pedestrian exercising their legal rights You WILL ! go to JAIL!!! aren't we as valuable as people who walk?

Demand that your representatives protect you, stop letting them Kill us.

Chuck

PS I hate loud pipes so bad I want to start a class action law suit against every person who has or builds one. YOU are ruining my hearing.

Not that I have an opinion.
post #6 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 7:05 pm
BMW Guru

That article [email protected]#$%KING pisses me off!!! Blaming Deputy Canfield's death on his quite motorcyle ??? Pathetic. The old bastard that killed him didn't see him and loud pipes wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 8:10 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
OK you are going to hate this ( maybe)

First : Loud pipes are a pathetic attempt to say "Hey look at me" for those who have nothing else going on in their lives.

Second: as a safety device they are pointing in the wrong direction You will notice that EVERY!! horn on EVERY!!! vehicle is pointing forward! Hmmm... concept.

Third : OLD people don't hear any better than they see.

Only in this country do WE!! ( you vote don't you?) allow " I did not see him" as a defense.

IN Japan if you say that They TAKE your license since it's your job as a driver to SEE!!!.

ONLY the certain punishment of the court system will come any where close to helping this.

IF you hit a pedestrian exercising their legal rights You WILL ! go to JAIL!!! aren't we as valuable as people who walk?

Demand that your representatives protect you, stop letting them Kill us.

Chuck

PS I hate loud pipes so bad I want to start a class action law suit against every person who has or builds one. YOU are ruining my hearing.

Not that I have an opinion.
"Loud pipes are a pathetic attempt to say "Hey look at me" for those who have nothing else going on in their lives."

You got that right. If I am driving down the road with nothing else going on in my life and happen to get next to that soccer mom I want her to look at me, so I know she knows I am beside her.

"as a safety device they are pointing in the wrong direction You will notice that EVERY!! horn on EVERY!!! vehicle is pointing forward! Hmmm... concept."

Not so, in fact most horns are pointing towards the ground, or to the sides of the vehicle, so they use the concrete or metal as a sounding board. Go look under the hood of your car or truck. Now as to the direction the exhaust points you are right, however, you can still hear them when you are driving in a cage and they are next to you, so as a safety device you have one up on a quiet bike. Note I said "Next to you" because if you are ahead of the bike you will not hear anything, including a police siren until it gets almost beside you. I am talking about those hazardous few seconds you are in a vehicles blind spot or the driver is distracted by cell phones, kids, etc.

"OLD people don't hear any better than they see"

Unfortunately true, but refer to my example of the soccer mom. At least I can protect myself to some extent from some of the cages out there.

"Only in this country do WE!! ( you vote don't you?) allow " I did not see him" as a defense."

Not true. It is NOT a defense in any state in this country not to have seen something on the roadway and people do get convicted of criminal offenses for hitting bikes. The sentence may not be what we would like to see, but it is not a defense to the charges.

Making it a more serious crime will not cut down on the number of bikes hit. If someone does not see us then they are not making a conscious decision to hit us, unlike a speeder or drunk driver. In both of those examples a decision is made to violate the law, so making the punishment more severe might have some effect on decreasing the number of violations because they know when they are breaking the law. If a driver doesn't see us there is no criminal intent to break the law, much less put someone in danger by intentionally hitting them and changing the laws or making them more serious isn't going to make them see us any better. I think we have some obligation to make ourselves more visable, because we KNOW we are hard to see. I accept some of the responsibility and added additional lights to my vehicle, wear reflective clothing and even the pipes help in some circumstances to get me noticed and it has nothing to do with a H-D Cult. I know how hard it is to see a motorcycle and every rider out there knows it as well. You can't force someone to see you by stiffer penalties or laws, but you can make yourself more obvious to them.

"PS I hate loud pipes so bad I want to start a class action law suit against every person who has or builds one. YOU are ruining my hearing."

Well at least your not getting too old to hear them then. How's your vision?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 8:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I don't need loud pipes. I have a 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn. And besides, the pipes can only really be heard from behind. Drivers ahead or to the sides get much less of the direct noise, which is why I always pass them as quickly as I can.

Quote:
Now if I were ridin next to her I would be honking the horn to get her to pull over.
Hm, and I'd probably be reaching for the shotgun . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 8:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

Hm, and I'd probably be reaching for the shotgun . . .
Oh Ken, I think you have delusions of grandeur about your reputation...I doubt she has even heard of you, much less wants to run over you...yet.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #10 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Oh Ken, I think you have delusions of grandeur about your reputation...I doubt she has even heard of you, much less wants to run over you...yet.
I believe that she could be the next Bush. She speaks just about as well, and has almost as much of a clue how the world works as he does. Talk about delusions of grandeur . . .

Besides, I though Homeland security monitored the entire internet anyway, so they know damn well where I stand on such things.

That reminds me, has anybody heard from Levi recently? Or is he simply superfluous now?

Actually, never mind. No sense in hijacking this forum any longer. Remember, it's a Brave New World out there now.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 8:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I believe that she could be the next Bush. She speaks just about as well, and has almost as much of a clue how the world works as he does. Talk about delusions of grandeur . . .

Actually, never mind. No sense in hijacking this forum any longer.
Yuh Think?

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #12 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 8:46 am

Quote:

Actually, never mind. No sense in hijacking this forum any longer. Remember, it's a Brave New World out there now.

When you hit that moment of thought, could you not have just hit "delete" and saved me from reading another obnoxious political post?

post #13 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
That article [email protected]#$%KING pisses me off!!! Blaming Deputy Canfield's death on his quite motorcyle ??? Pathetic. The old bastard that killed him didn't see him and loud pipes wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

Is this the same deputy who's funeral is today? The channel 3 news reported this morning that "the deputy ran into a car", not that one hit him.

If I may wiegh in on the loud pipe thing. I have owned motos with obnoxiously loud pipes. BMW's, Harley's, Triumph's, Norotn's, and even a couple of Honda's.

This is not a brand specific problem nor is it an age specific one. I personally just got tired of listening to all the noise as the rider. I never gave a shit what other people thought. Herein lies the problem, plain and simple.

I believe in California, it is now illeagal to modify intake or exhaust from stock (please correct me if i'm wrong). For the CHP to say it's o.k. seems to me to be an open invite to ignore other similar laws.

So, tomorrow I will drive without my seatbelt, ride without my helmet on my moto with a modified intake and exhaust.

It all seems a little silly to me, the loud pipes and the CHP. Why would they give a shit either way?

I'm still an opponent of the helmet law, the seat belt law, and this new you-can't-modify-YOUR-moto crap too. Guess i'm just sick of the lawmakers in the Peoples Republik of Kaliforniastan telling me what I can and can't do!

(Did this turn into a rant? excuse me, I'm in a crappy mood!)

My .02. And just to be clear, i still don't care what other people think

Ciao, Dino

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #14 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 3:55 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
Is this the same deputy who's funeral is today? The channel 3 news reported this morning that "the deputy ran into a car", not that one hit him.
Yes, that is the same guy, Larry Canfield.

Of course Channel Three got it wrong. Every single time I've had personal knowledge of a story that made it to the news, they've got it wrong. I haven't bothered to watch TV news for a long time.

I will watch the weather if Julie is on though

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 3:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes I ride my Harley and it has loud pipes, and I like it.

Whew, I feel much better now.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #16 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 4:03 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Sometimes I ride my Harley and it has loud pipes, and I like it
It's not a question of whether of not you like it. The issue is can the rest of us or the government (which should be one in the same) prohibit you from making all that noise?

I HATE the noise, but I also HATE big government managing every little part of our daily lives

I think it's time to sell it all and go live in a grass hut on a beach in the tropics

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #17 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Yes, that is the same guy, Larry Canfield.

Of course Channel Three got it wrong. Every single time I've had personal knowledge of a story that made it to the news, they've got it wrong. I haven't bothered to watch TV news for a long time.

I will watch the weather if Julie is on though

http://www.juliewatts.net/watchjulie.html LUVS IT!

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #18 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Loud pipes are annoying IMO. I have friend with Harleys and when I ride with them I have to loiter to the rear so that I can enjoy the ride.

Why would you want a bike so loud that you have to put ear plugs in each time you ride it????

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #19 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 4:26 pm

no one here seems to be getting the point.

The person who owns/rides the bike is the one who makes the call to ride a bike with loud pipes. If the CHP/local mounties don't care, why should he/she?

It's like someone telling you you shouldn't ride a BMW because it's too QUITE. It really is the same thing. You can be annoyed all you want, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Further discussion of this matter is officially discontinued by MY ORDER. God save the QUEEN! (Ted)

The King of Redundancy King

BTW, I wear earplugs when I ride my QUITE moto

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #20 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:12 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:

The person who owns/rides the bike is the one who makes the call to ride a bike with loud pipes. If the CHP/local mounties don't care, why should he/she?

It's like someone telling you you shouldn't ride a BMW because it's too QUITE. It really is the same thing. You can be annoyed all you want, but there is nothing you can do about it
YOUR rights end when what you're doing infringes on MY rights...

That gray area is where the argument lies.

If I have the right to sleep in on a Sunday morning and not be disturbed by load pipes or enjoy a quiet dinner in a downtown cafe without 100db plus noise going by on the street, then my right to have peace and quiet out weighs yours to make noise...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Last edited by Ted Shred; Nov 20th, 2008 at 11:46 pm. Reason: Doin. my part not to oafend Bob with pour spelleng...
post #21 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:42 pm

I missed the part of the nation's/states constitution that states you have the right to sleep in on Sunday or the right to peace and quite.

Neither of these "rights" are protected under law. Peace and quite can always be had, but we seldom get to choose when and where.

Now, if I was using my chainsaw in the backyard nextdoor before 700 a.m. or after 1000p.m. in some municipalities, you may have a point.

Again you can be pissed off all you want, but the decision comes down to the individual on the bike and wether or not the authorities want to persue enforcement.

And the thought that your rights outweigh mine or anyone else's, is something straight out of a cast society handbook.

I have already deemed this discussion closed and it is brutally clear that it has become redundant.

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #22 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:44 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
I missed the part of the nation's/states constitution that states you have the right to sleep in on Sunday or the right to peace and quite.

Neither of these "rights" are protected under law. Peace and quite can always be had, but we seldom get to choose when and where.

Now, if I was using my chainsaw in the backyard nextdoor before 700 a.m. or after 1000p.m. in some municipalities, you may have a point.

Again you can be pissed off all you want, but the decision comes down to the individual on the bike and wether or not the authorities want to persue enforcement.

And the thought that your rights outweigh mine or anyone else's, is something straight out of a cast society handbook.

I have already deemed this discussion closed and it is brutally clear that it has become redundant.

Read my post again. I said "IF"

I even did it in bold italics for emphasis. That's the whole point. Do you have the right make noise or do I have the right to not listen to you???

We may never know

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #23 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:55 pm

just makin sure you got the message

YOU BIG FAT FACIST BASTAGE!!!!!

BTW, if loud pipes were really illegal, you wouldn't be able to sleep w/o being arrested

C-ya later. Think i cood demonstrate how to take a tire off a rim 5 times in a row?

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #24 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 6:17 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
C-ya later. Think i cood demonstrate how to take a tire off a rim 5 times in a row?
I volunteered you for that portion of the presentation tonight. Please be on time.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #25 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

It's like someone telling you you shouldn't ride a BMW because it's too QUITE. It really is the same thing. You can be annoyed all you want, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Further discussion of this matter is officially discontinued by MY ORDER. God save the QUEEN! (Ted)

The King of Redundancy King

BTW, I wear earplugs when I ride my QUITE moto
This whole dialog is "quite" distressing. Perhaps the first step in getting the decibel range section of the vehicle code enforced would be the ability to spell "quiet."

"Ike, maybe poker just isn't your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest!" - Doc Holliday

Hmm, what was that thing about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Then there's that other city ordinance deal about quiet possession. Enforcing objectionable noise before 0700 weekdays and 0800 on weekends is not limited to yard tools. It works "quite" well on straight pipes too.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #26 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Loud pipes may be cool and save lives but quiet pipes save wives.

Anyways, my take on the loud pipes as a driver in a van in traffic everyday for over 21 years. I almost always hear a rumble of a loud bike coming up behind me and will get over a little to give them a nice part of my lane to share. Sometimes getting a raised finger(not middle), hand or nod of their helmet as a thankyou. I see a few people ahead of me get over for riders too. The quiet bikes are usually gone past me before I notice them. And this happens to me everyday when I work in the Central Valley and Bay Area.

The question has always been to me, 'Is it better to be stealthy and sneaky in traffic and put all your threats behind you as quickly as you can or be the 800 pound gorilla pounding your chest and getting as much attention as you can therefore inviting all the people around you to have to make a decision in the moving forest of vehicles?

You pick the one you like best and go with it. This IS America. The land of the obnoxious and free.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #27 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Just to add to everyone's misery, I believe I read that Oakland PD (Harley riders) are going to after market pipes to increase their safety! Maybe they should think about ABS brakes instead of more noise.....Hey Ted, you might think about a set of Vance & Hines pipes on the LT...
post #28 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 9:57 pm
Gold Supporter

Only in California:

http://www.ksbw.com/video/18002899/index.html

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #29 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Well for thoes who like loud pipes I hope you have neighbors who believe LOUD Misic prevents Narcolepsy .

And just for anyones information Spelling is a skill much like Tact and empathy.

Chuck Presnail
post #30 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I volunteered you for that portion of the presentation tonight. Please be on time.
Yeah Deano, where were you? The mechanic did it with a tire machine instead of levers for brevity's sake (did I spell that right?).

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #31 of 39 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:35 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Yeah Deano, where were you? The mechanic did it with a tire machine instead of levers for brevity's sake (did I spell that right?).
Yes and they also demonstrated the trail side repair of a water pump

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #32 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 8:31 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Well for thoes who like loud pipes I hope you have neighbors who believe LOUD Misic prevents Narcolepsy .

And just for anyones information Spelling is a skill much like Tact and empathy.

Chuck Presnail
"Thoes"

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #33 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I find it incredibly discouraging if the CHP has really bought into the concept of loud pipes having anything to do with rider safety.
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1403291.html

HAHAHAH this is damn funny for a supposed group of people trained for traffic accidents,

"A fatal crash in Rancho Cordova last week appears to back the lack-of-visibility argument. A Sacramento County deputy on motorcycle was killed when he ran into a car making a turn in front of him.

The issue of officer safety was behind last month's decision by Oakland police to equip their Harleys with louder tailpipes."

The irony in this part of the message being,
"the car turning IN FRONT of the officer" and the part of louder "TAILPIPES"!
Which does nothing but force noise to the rear, oh yea!

Mr CHP please do not investigate my traffic accidents for me, I want someone who knows what they are doing, to do that job......

too funny!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #34 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 9:20 am

A TIRE MACHINE?

I cant remember the last time I saw one of those on the side of a road/trail?

As for the quite/quiet spelling error: KISS MY ASS!
What a bunch of crusty old bitches!
(how's that for tact and empathy, Mr. "Thoes"?)

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #35 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Enforcing objectionable noise before 0700 weekdays and 0800 on weekends is not limited to yard tools. It works "quite" well on straight pipes too.
Thats just it Tallyho, NO ONE IS ENFORCING! And by the looks of the comments from the CHP, no one will be anytime soon.

The self-righteous (spell check) notion that your serenity takes precedence over someones choice of exhaust is RIDICULOUS! (as unfortunate as it may be).

Without enforcement of a viable law, your peace and serentiy don't mean dick, not even to the people sworn to protect it.

The Tactless Devil's Advocate

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #36 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 9:45 am

Quote:
This is almost as ridiculous as DAVIS!

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #37 of 39 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
HAHAHAH this is damn funny for a supposed group of people trained for traffic accidents,

"A fatal crash in Rancho Cordova last week appears to back the lack-of-visibility argument. A Sacramento County deputy on motorcycle was killed when he ran into a car making a turn in front of him.
That paragraph in the article was not made by the CHP spokesperson. It was inserted by the author of the article.

The CHP officer only commented that motorcycles are not well observed by car drivers. I doubt any of us disagree with that. Then she goes on to say noise is one way of getting noticed. Obviously we disagree if that's effective. But she made no reference to the Rancho Cordova officer's TC.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.

Last edited by tlash; Nov 21st, 2008 at 2:35 pm.
post #38 of 39 Old Nov 24th, 2008, 6:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
That paragraph in the article was not made by the CHP spokesperson. It was inserted by the author of the article.

The CHP officer only commented that motorcycles are not well observed by car drivers. I doubt any of us disagree with that. Then she goes on to say noise is one way of getting noticed. Obviously we disagree if that's effective. But she made no reference to the Rancho Cordova officer's TC.
really, cause this line sure sounds lik eit "California Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kelly Baraga didn't sound sympathetic"

here more of that article, maybe I'm just dense but Kelly Barage was the spokesperson right? tha rticle sure implies this was said by CHP, adn oakland is using the loud pipes save lives for a reason to put louder pipes on the hd's

"California Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kelly Baraga didn't sound sympathetic.

"Sometimes that noise is a good thing," she said. "Motorcycles are not as easily seen (as cars), so noise is a way they can notify people they are on the road."

A fatal crash in Rancho Cordova last week appears to back the lack-of-visibility argument. A Sacramento County deputy on motorcycle was killed when he ran into a car making a turn in front of him.

The issue of officer safety was behind last month's decision by Oakland police to equip their Harleys with louder tailpipes."

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #39 of 39 Old Nov 24th, 2008, 8:45 am

Read the way the "Fatal crash…" paragraph is structured. It is a comment on the previous remark, and not a continuation of a quote. The reporter deliberately inserted that paragraph, at that point in the article, to back the loud pipes argument; but without giving any details on the Rancho Cordova crash.

Perhaps this is a good example of how the media can manipulate public opinion without actually lying.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in