From NorCal to Maine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

From NorCal to Maine

After a 9am dentist appointment, I went home to pack and left town at 11:20 am on the 30th of Oct. I went 780 miles the first day, another 775 miles the second and the third was a short day of only 360 miles to MO. to stay with and old friend and brother in law for four days. Left there and went 680 miles the first day, 720 miles the second and only 350 the last day before getting to Dover. Total trip for gas and rooms was only $601. Not too bad I guess.

I got over 30 miles a gallon for several tanks in the upper plains. I get around 27 now around Dover and Bangor. In CA, I only got around 23 mpg. The lowest gas price for the trip was in Dade County Missouri where my friend lives. Only $2.09 for premium (turbo). It's only $2.39 now here in Dover.

Every state is different and has it's beauty. Every state has it's quirkiness too. I kind of judged the states by the rest areas. Some were very nice. Some had weird speed laws. Some were construction area prone. I was really messed up with the three hours I lost plus the one I gained with daylight saving time. And it gets dark out here at 4pm. What universe is this?

I used a Valentine One Radar Detecter, A Sirius Satellite Radio, a Zune Ipod and a Garmin GPS. I was lit up man. My VW Passat Wagon was a mile eater.

Since I've been to Maine, I've been on my Kawasaki Mule Utility Vehicle every day. The trails are all still open and I can go to town easily or explore our family property. I've taken hundreds of pictures and will post some when I can. This computer I'm typing on now is AOL Low Speed Internet. I'm from CA and haven't seen the likes of this since the turn of the century. I go to town and visit by brother with a laptop to get high speed. They seem to be civilized in town. I'll post pics from photobucket when I'm out there.

Later, Roger

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: From NorCal to Maine

Thanks for the update Roger, glad the trip went well.

Get to work on those cabins as I really want to come visit and explore the entire northeast and up to Nova Scotia, maybe 2010.

Keep us posted on how the winter developes and what you are up to.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #3 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Re: From NorCal to Maine

Roger, Very glad you had a safe trip. Keep posting and letting us know what you're up too. And I agree, get those cabins finished so that the HDDC can come visit!!! Pictures, man!!!

(You might want to check out an ATT or Sprint wireless (cell) card for a connection. fairly quick speeds and about $60-70 a month...)

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good report. Thanks.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Roger:
Glad you made it ok. I am relocating to the Bronx in February; not looking forward to driving my two dogs xcountry in Feb!!

Keep in touch; I would love to come to Maine.

Raymond

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #6 of 15 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Roger, glad you made it okay. Good report.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 5:09 am

Welcome to the great state of Maine Roger. Dover Foxcroft is a great little town. I'm just a short distance away in Waterville. If you've moved permanently, we'll have to ride after snow season. Enjoy your stay.

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:40 am

Hey Roger enjoy your time in the great North East. Come Wednesday night on about 11pm your time, lift a glass of ale and thing of the HDDC boyz out West.

take Care

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 7:13 pm
BMW Guru

Hey Roger. Build a cabin for me and I'll come stay with ya

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 15 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Here are some pictures from around our property and the area.

I went through here, no problemo

In our pit

From a distance

On our property, the old Reed place, family moved in the 40's

The Black Stream runs through our property

The Piscataquis River

Along the trail somewhere

Another old fence in the woods on our property near the old Reed place

Dover-Foxcroft

Later, Roger

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 1:13 pm
BMW Guru

Looks beautiful Roger. Can't wait to visit ya

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #12 of 15 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Very cool, Roger. I'm planning on riding out to Maine this year, either last half of June, or maybe July. Will you be around?

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin - but making great time.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Looks a lot like our old family digs in Pennsylvania where I still go back and deer hunt every other year with by brother.

We be riding through Maine in late September 2009. Maine is the only state I have never visited.

It is amazing how many people look offshore when they haven't really seen much of America. It's quite an experience running from state to state as you say. Probably why so many songs have been written about it!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
Very cool, Roger. I'm planning on riding out to Maine this year, either last half of June, or maybe July. Will you be around?
I probably won't be here much longer. I'm going to head down to Portland for a short stay and then maybe North Carolina before I head back out west. I plan on looking for work in the Bay Area. Not going to work in my business any more. Colby, another driver and my office manager are running things.

The last half of June and early July would be a good time to visit. Mud and bug season will be over for the most part. The best months to visit around here are July through October and then Jan to April for the snowmobilers.

I would be glad to talk to anyone before your planned trips. Kind of brainstorm a little. I'm sure the members from Maine on this board may be of more help than me. My family property is right on route 7, The Moosehead Trail. And Dover is in the Maine Highlands. We're about 45 minutes from Moosehead Lake going north and about 45 minutes from Bangor going south.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #15 of 15 Old Dec 1st, 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I probably won't be here much longer. I'm going to head down to Portland for a short stay and then maybe North Carolina before I head back out west. I plan on looking for work in the Bay Area. Not going to work in my business any more. Colby, another driver and my office manager are running things.
We'll see you when you get back.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin - but making great time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in