Kept a Promise today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Talking Kept a Promise today

The last time I spoke to Dell Fields we were talking about birthdays and age in general. I noted my 50th was coming up. He implored me to get checked out after I reached that age. Well, unless you have a history of colon cancer in your family, Kaiser won't do much more than a stool test before age 55, UNLESS, you insist. I did 5-6 weeks ago and went through the whole process over the past couple days. Certainly a strange and different experience but not the worst thing I ever been through by far. Everything looked fine and I had all the prostate stuff done in June so we'll do it all again in five years.

If you're in our special age group, let me implore you, git'er done! Sure I did it for my own confidence but also for my wife, my kids, and a friend of mine too.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Re: Kept a Promise today

Good for you Bob. My doctor wants me to have a colon something or another....some tube rammed you know where. I still haven't made that appointment. I asked him am I behind on my bill?

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Good going Bob, glad things looked fine.

Here is Dell's message to us left behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrOXtGacNk

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Bob. Had my first colonoscopy at around age 35. Thought I saw blood in my stool. Turned out I had 2 polyps, which Dr. told me were of the type that develop into cancer. Damned glad I did it before age 50.

I strongly urge anyone who has a history of colon cancer in their family or are over age 50 to get a colonoscopy if you have not had one. It's a small pain in the butt, but it can save your life.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Had it done. Actually had it done on my 54th Birthday... Although I did not know Dell, I read of his valiant and honest battle... and it helped my courage.

Thank you, Dell!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 20 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 1:40 pm

Bob, thanks for the reminders. There were two: recalling a good friend, AND one of his most strident messages.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 2:07 pm

We lost a local guy many years ago this same way. Harvard MBA and President of Local company doing business all over the US. He had been having lower back pains for years but did not know what it was. Doctors did not think much of it so nothing was done. By the time they got around to checking, he was too far gone to help and they had tried everything including special medication flown in from a Texas cancer center. Sad thing, his best friend was his doctor.

The community lost a really good and very smart guy.

In my case they found two polyps that were no problem and took them out during the exam. Funny thing - the back pain that I purchased my backrest to get rid of - vanished after the painless polyp removal.

If you have not been checked - do it. A quick warning, the prep for the rotor rooter is far, far worse than anything the doctor does.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 5:39 pm

Do a prostate screening check every year. Mine was discovered at age 56 from a routine PSA blood test. 15 years later after having my prostqate removed, I am very healthy, performing all my bodily functions and riding the heck out of my bike, bicycle, and skiing at age 71.
Had a colonoscopy every 5 years and good for another 5. I did have a polyp removed on my first colonoscopy, but not since then. if you have your health, you have everything!!!

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the reminder. I called my doc TODAY. Have a consultation appointment for next Friday, and the procedure will follow some time after that.

My dr. recommended it be done at age 50. That was 2 years ago. I think about it from time to time but your post spurred me to "git 'er done".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 20 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:27 pm

Had it done this summer and the worst part is 2 days of chicken broth and jello.
Every thing needs a little pro active maintenance if you are gong to keep it for the long haul.

Bob G
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Thanks for the reminder, Bob. Had my first colonoscopy at around age 35. Thought I saw blood in my stool. Turned out I had 2 polyps, which Dr. told me were of the type that develop into cancer. Damned glad I did it before age 50.
Just had this done, age 41, same result. Don't have the polyp results back yet, but I'm glad I had it done. Good reminder.
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 1:14 pm

Better to suffer a LT rear end failure than a personal one. At least the bike can recover from a complete failure.
post #13 of 20 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 8:57 am

Being "Over" 50 I have had the stool test done for a few years now and since I was scheduled for my yearly oil change and tire rotation again, I thought I'd ask the doctor about the "Scope".

There are three main tests for colon cancer, blood, stool and scope. With these three comes three different frequencies on when they are done, stool is yearly, blood is every five years and scoping is ten years. (At Kaiser at least)

I had the opportunity to meet with both my regular doctor and a proctologist yesterday and they were explaining the pros and cons of each. I was set to schedule a scoping procedure and they were willing to "ger r done", but I was surprised to find that of the three tests it was the least reliable as it is only as good as the camera operator and is manually read. The stool is the most accurate because it targets the most aggressive cells and since it is done yearly can catch anything anomalies early verse every 10 years.

I will still get the scope done at 55 and the yearly stool tests annually and keep the wolves away from my door, or the back door if you prefer.

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #14 of 20 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 1:37 pm

I have to give you guys credit. I'll take death over any medical procedures, as long as I'm able to make it day to day. I've had numerous surgeries for that reason (bike crashes, etc) but not much else.

Never had a complete physical other than my military stint (72-74) and like I told the doc last week, never will.

I take as good as care of myself as possible and just don't have the patience to fix things that ain't broke.

Going type II a couple years back, the doc ordered a drink & test test of some sort that took 6 frikin hours, told him not a chance. He put me on the meds (can't live day to day without these) and I've been takin care of biz since.

I'm just not made up to deal with western-style medicine I guess.

And honestly, I do not trust the medical community whatsoever, I believe most of this stuff is money related, they ain't too worried about me.
post #15 of 20 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
I was set to schedule a scoping procedure and they were willing to "ger r done", but I was surprised to find that of the three tests it was the least reliable as it is only as good as the camera operator and is manually read. The stool is the most accurate because it targets the most aggressive cells and since it is done yearly can catch anything anomalies early verse every 10 years.
This sounds quite dubious coming from a physician. The tests compliment each other. Chemical analysis and visual inspection. Sounds like they weren't willing to pay for it or find a way to make it happen.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #16 of 20 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTER1100
Better to suffer a LT rear end failure than a personal one. At least the bike can recover from a complete failure.
Well said!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Well, I had my first Colonoscopy last Friday. The prep was literally a pain in the ass, but the procedure itself was a non-issue. They knocked me out for the checkup, and I suffered no ill affects at all--except the feeling that I was violated while in a comatose state.

Good news; I don't have to endure another one for 8-10 years. Hurray!!!!!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #18 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfredriksson
Well, I had my first Colonoscopy last Friday. The prep was literally a pain in the ass, but the procedure itself was a non-issue. They knocked me out for the checkup, and I suffered no ill affects at all--except the feeling that I was violated while in a comatose state.

Good news; I don't have to endure another one for 8-10 years. Hurray!!!!!
This is what I want (NEED) to hear. Mine has now been scheduled. During the consultation office visit last week I told the doc "I don't want to know what is happening, or know who was there, or remember anything about it." He said "No problem. You won't."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had the colonoscopy done today. It was a non-event. Yesterday was "Prep Day" - clear liquids, an over-the-counter laxative taken at once, and a prescription laxative mixed in 1/2 gallon Gatorade, taken over 2 hours. No big deal. The "fallout" from the laxatives last night was less dramatic than Dave Barry's comedic description of it (criculated previously here).

I woke up after the colonoscopy feeling a little drowsy. Doc says no polyps were found, there are no issues, and come back in 10 years and do it again.

Guys, if you are delaying doing this for any reason just git 'r done. It's not a big deal and it just might save your life.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm

My turn, I have had two since my mother passed 5 yrs ago from Colo-rectal cancer. First one was quite surprising, that is the prep. On the initial one, found one polyp that was benign. Back in three years and all was clear. Besides the prostrate check we all need, there is one other one that I stress to all of you to do. Make an appointment with a dermatologist and have your weather beaten, sunbaked face, neck and arms checked. Melanoma is the fastest most deadliest cancer. I know cause I my dad passed 8 yrs ago with a mole he just neglected. I am light skinned and have lived in AZ all of my life. Wore short sleeve shirts forever. So I go twice a year my next appointment is Monday. I expect they will find these little nasties that they use Liquid Nitrogen to freeze. A couple of hours later it looks like you got burned with splattered hot grease only no pain.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in