Death Valley 2009 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Death Valley 2009

Anyone going and when?
Some are discussing moving to Panamint Valley on different date than usual.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally Posted by 1KLRMike
There are about 30 reservations made At Furnace creek already. Does anyone know if the IBMWR or Village Idiots are going on these dates? As we tried to make contact and nobody would respond. Seems like the Beemer folks want to have their own show in Feb. All this negative talk with no substance. I have only heard rumor and gossip. and a couple of trivial instances, that certainly can be corrected for this year. I enjoy the numbers the camaraderie, and a certain level of heightened safety with more numbers out in the desert. Some of the Original Leaders of DVDaze may not like the numbers, thats OK. I think the message is out. The Park is all of ours to enjoy and respect.

Yes, the park is all of ours to enjoy, however the gene is out of the bottle and AdvRider has made some problems for IBMWR and the Village Idiots. As I said in my post above, DVDaze has been going on for 14 years and on the weekend in question. The Airheads have been going in Feburary for quite a few years as well. There is an anual Harley ride out there as well. One year it was the same weekend.

As to your comment about rumor and gosip? I'm on the DVDaze list and the person who usually coordinates the event, which is actually a misnomer, was told we need a permit and insurance. Period.

Brian's coordinating was limited to just making sure you put Village idiot or IBMWR on you reservation and make sure the rangers knew we were coming and approximately how many. This was before the on-line ability to reserve specific spaces. WE minded our business, didn't cause too much trouble and all generally got along. You will not get an answer from either group unless you're a member. Why would they acknoledge any request concerning DVD? It might be the Park Service trying to get the requested insurance and permit.

Since I've been going:
2002 and 2003 We had one issue and that involved some IBMWR folks burning palm frons.

2004 WE has issues with noise after 10 PM. I had to kick everyone out of my campsite (where all the firewood was) at midnight because the drunks didn't understand the 10 pm rules.

2005 was pretty uneventful from what I remember

2006 was a very large crowd. Someone complained about pot smoking so those that partook had to be real careful. AdvRiders were warned repeatedly that the speed limit was 35 mph when off road. I don't believe anyone was ticketed but if you've been there you've seen the plume of dust. It's not hard to see who is doing what (I was one of the guilty).

2007 was larger yet. In one campsite we had as many as 50 folks when dinner was served. Some might call that a group gathering which bring along new rules.

2008 was the snow bowl. I didn't make it but it would appear an AdvRider did the fire on the dunes and posted it up on YouTube. Someone rode through the campground in the mud and left tracks. Several were noted riding in the campground without helmets. Someone brought a hot tub and someone was selling without a permit.

So basically we're law breakers and have finally wore out our welcome, period. Play righteous all you want on the internet. It won't help you at all if your predecessors have already peed in the pool.

Mind you the campground, up to now, has always been very tolerant of us bikers. The rules say no more than two motor vehicles per campsite. They also state no more than 6 adults per site. We've more than streched those rules and haven't had any issues.

Bottom line is you'll be under the microscope with NO tolerance to breaking ANY rules. Be prepared and don't bitch if this all goes to hell in a handbasket.

Gerg
I still don't know why you guys don't go to Panamint Springs instead. They got showers right there, a great restaurant, a beer store, internet access, Hotel Rooms and camping for riders and RV's. And they are close to the best rides in DV. Saline, the Racetrack, Hunter Mountain, Cerro Gordo, Darwin are all great rides. You can even run down to Mengal Pass and the Manson Ranch (or what's left of it).

A great idea would be to station a truck on the north side by the dunes or the crater with some gas so everyone could do 200 or 300 mile loops.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:25 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Re: Death Valley 2009

I've got a reservation for a cabin at Furnace Creek Ranch arriving Thursday 1/29 and leaving Monday 2/2.

Personally I don't care how many or who shows up, as long as there are some HDDC/Nor Cal/ BMWLT.com folks to hang with. This is my personal "man" vacation (That's what the wife calls it) and I REALLY look forward to it each year.

So come on HDDC, make your reservations and let's go!!!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #3 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 1:42 am

I believe the dates for DVD are 23,24,& 25 Of Jan 09

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #4 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
I believe the dates for DVD are 23,24,& 25 Of Jan 09
Technically/officially there is NO DVD and we may actually be better off going on Hal's dates as the Park Rangers will not be looking so hard for something to bother us about.

Going to get me a cabin.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #5 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:10 am
BMW Guru

You kids have fun. I'm going on a cruise

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 48 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 5:28 pm

i will be going the same dates as Hal. The Panamint Springs thing sounds cool, but will probably end up camping at Furnace Creek. Trying to coerse Nathan and Dan to switch dates too

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #7 of 48 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 5:57 pm

my lack of patience got the better of me and i made a reservation in the campground for the 29th thru the 1st.

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #8 of 48 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
my lack of patience got the better of me and i made a reservation in the campground for the 29th thru the 1st.
Attaboy!!!

The HDDCDVD

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #9 of 48 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 8:01 am

The HDDCDVD

hope this is right

Let's do this add your Name 1-29-09

I move my date

1.Doug
2.Hal
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan
post #10 of 48 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 5:03 pm

If things hold true to form, I'll prolly be over in Beatty for the White Stag rally but if that turns into a lounge rally again you can bet I'll be over in DV drinking and carrying on with the rest of you clowns.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #11 of 48 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:35 pm

I and my local BMW club
www.azbeemers.org

made reservation at

PAHRUMP NUGGET
681 S. HWY 160
PAHRUMP, NV 89048
www.pahrumpnugget.com
TOLL FREE (866) 751-6500 PHONE (775) 751-6500
FAX (775) 751-6535

arriving on 01/23/2009 and checking out on 01/25/2009 which is a total of 2 night(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Anyone going and when?
Some are discussing moving to Panamint Valley on different date than usual.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally Posted by 1KLRMike
There are about 30 reservations made At Furnace creek already. Does anyone know if the IBMWR or Village Idiots are going on these dates? As we tried to make contact and nobody would respond. Seems like the Beemer folks want to have their own show in Feb. All this negative talk with no substance. I have only heard rumor and gossip. and a couple of trivial instances, that certainly can be corrected for this year. I enjoy the numbers the camaraderie, and a certain level of heightened safety with more numbers out in the desert. Some of the Original Leaders of DVDaze may not like the numbers, thats OK. I think the message is out. The Park is all of ours to enjoy and respect.

Yes, the park is all of ours to enjoy, however the gene is out of the bottle and AdvRider has made some problems for IBMWR and the Village Idiots. As I said in my post above, DVDaze has been going on for 14 years and on the weekend in question. The Airheads have been going in Feburary for quite a few years as well. There is an anual Harley ride out there as well. One year it was the same weekend.

As to your comment about rumor and gosip? I'm on the DVDaze list and the person who usually coordinates the event, which is actually a misnomer, was told we need a permit and insurance. Period.

Brian's coordinating was limited to just making sure you put Village idiot or IBMWR on you reservation and make sure the rangers knew we were coming and approximately how many. This was before the on-line ability to reserve specific spaces. WE minded our business, didn't cause too much trouble and all generally got along. You will not get an answer from either group unless you're a member. Why would they acknoledge any request concerning DVD? It might be the Park Service trying to get the requested insurance and permit.

Since I've been going:
2002 and 2003 We had one issue and that involved some IBMWR folks burning palm frons.

2004 WE has issues with noise after 10 PM. I had to kick everyone out of my campsite (where all the firewood was) at midnight because the drunks didn't understand the 10 pm rules.

2005 was pretty uneventful from what I remember

2006 was a very large crowd. Someone complained about pot smoking so those that partook had to be real careful. AdvRiders were warned repeatedly that the speed limit was 35 mph when off road. I don't believe anyone was ticketed but if you've been there you've seen the plume of dust. It's not hard to see who is doing what (I was one of the guilty).

2007 was larger yet. In one campsite we had as many as 50 folks when dinner was served. Some might call that a group gathering which bring along new rules.

2008 was the snow bowl. I didn't make it but it would appear an AdvRider did the fire on the dunes and posted it up on YouTube. Someone rode through the campground in the mud and left tracks. Several were noted riding in the campground without helmets. Someone brought a hot tub and someone was selling without a permit.

So basically we're law breakers and have finally wore out our welcome, period. Play righteous all you want on the internet. It won't help you at all if your predecessors have already peed in the pool.

Mind you the campground, up to now, has always been very tolerant of us bikers. The rules say no more than two motor vehicles per campsite. They also state no more than 6 adults per site. We've more than streched those rules and haven't had any issues.

Bottom line is you'll be under the microscope with NO tolerance to breaking ANY rules. Be prepared and don't bitch if this all goes to hell in a handbasket.

Gerg
I still don't know why you guys don't go to Panamint Springs instead. They got showers right there, a great restaurant, a beer store, internet access, Hotel Rooms and camping for riders and RV's. And they are close to the best rides in DV. Saline, the Racetrack, Hunter Mountain, Cerro Gordo, Darwin are all great rides. You can even run down to Mengal Pass and the Manson Ranch (or what's left of it).

A great idea would be to station a truck on the north side by the dunes or the crater with some gas so everyone could do 200 or 300 mile loops.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #12 of 48 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

The HDDCDVD

hope this is right

I move my date

1.Doug
2.Hal
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan
8.Dan

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #13 of 48 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:50 am

The HDDCDVD

hope this is right

I move my date

1.Doug
2.Hal
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan
post #14 of 48 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The HDDCDVD

hope this is right

I move my date

1.Doug
2.Hal
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan

What I can't go twice?

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #15 of 48 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
The HDDCDVD

hope this is right

I move my date

1.Doug
2.Hal
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan

What I can't go twice?
It's not for sure you can go at all yet!

2012 Custom Twin Cam (Building now from the frame up)
2011 HD Road Glide Ultra (Sweet Ride)
2010 HD Road Glide (Traded)
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic (Sold)
2007 HD SE Ultra - RIP
2006 KLR650 "SOLD"
2006 R1200RT "Traded"
2000 HD Road Glide "SOLD"
2001 HD Softail (Sold)

post #16 of 48 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:27 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Death Valley 2009

HDDCDVD 2009

Death Valley, Ca
Furnace Creek Ranch Hotel/Cabins/Campgrounds
https://www.furnacecreekresort.com/r...stination=DVFR
Cabins are at the bottom, scroll down

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

1.Doug - down on 1/29 - returning Monday 2/2 - Cabin
2.Hal - down on 1/29 - returning 2/2 - Cabin
3.Dan
4.Nathan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #17 of 48 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 9:43 am

HDDCDVD 2009

Death Valley, Ca
https://www.furnacecreekresort.com/...estination=DVFR

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
4.Nathan - down on 1/29 in a Jeep and trailer (BMW R1100GS)- returning - ? - ?
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan

Last edited by Nathan; Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:53 am.
post #18 of 48 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:37 am

HDDCDVD 2009

Death Valley, Ca

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan
9.Bruce & Denise- down on 1/29-returning 2/1 to Paso Robles-Home2/2 - cabin

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #19 of 48 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 3:24 pm

HDDCDVD 2009

Death Valley, Ca

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
5.Keith
6.Scott
7.Jan
9.Bruce & Denise- down on 1/29-returning 2/1 to Paso Robles-Home2/2 - cabin
10. Chuck - Cabin
post #20 of 48 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Good ride report off ADVrider of last years DV noob rally which is happening again this year 11/7-8-9 at Stovepipe Wells. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...b+valley+rally
Not to late to go if you've got the time.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #21 of 48 Old Nov 24th, 2008, 8:31 pm

update

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
5.Bruce & Denise- down on 1/29-returning 2/1 to Paso Robles-Home2/2 - cabin
6.Chuck - Cabin
7.Dino
post #22 of 48 Old Dec 10th, 2008, 7:47 pm

update

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
6.Chuck - Cabin
7.Dino
8.Bob & Ken - (cabin) down on 1/29 and returning 2/1

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #23 of 48 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 9:16 am

update

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
6.Chuck - Cabin
7.Dino 1/28 - 1/31 sleepin in the dirt, BITCHES!

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #24 of 48 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 9:40 am

update

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan
4.Nathan
6.Chuck - Cabin
post #25 of 48 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 6:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Updated:

1/29-30-31 & 2/1 2009

3.Dan- Going in Deano's Truck Dino, and camping.
4.Nathan
6.Chuck - Cabin
8.Bob & Ken - (cabin) down on 1/29 and returning 2/1[/QUOTE]

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #26 of 48 Old Dec 12th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Furnace Creek

1. Doug - down on 1/29 - returning Monday 2/2 - Cabin
2. Hal - down on 1/29 - returning 2/2 - Cabin
3. Dan- Going in Deano's Truck Dino, and camping.
4. Nathan
6. Bruce & Denise- down on 1/29-returning 2/1 to Paso Robles-Home2/2 - cabin
7. Chuck - Cabin
8. Dino 1/28 - 1/31 sleepin in the dirt, BITCHES!
10. Bob & Ken - (cabin) down on 1/29 and returning 2/1
11. Raffy (cabin)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Dec 12th, 2008 at 10:37 pm.
post #27 of 48 Old Dec 13th, 2008, 12:32 am

Nathan, r u riding down with us?

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #28 of 48 Old Dec 13th, 2008, 1:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
Nathan, r u riding down with us?
Dino that you headed up 16 last sunday? I think it was sunday. What day is it now?

Never mind had to be you Orange bike Red gas Can Blue Stich could'nt catch you

Yea Had to be you.

Chuck
post #29 of 48 Old Dec 13th, 2008, 8:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Dino that you headed up 16 last sunday? I think it was sunday. What day is it now?

Never mind had to be you Orange bike Red gas Can Blue Stich could'nt catch you

Yea Had to be you.

Chuck
Was prolly him. He met up with several of us in Volcano for a dirt/street ride.

Yes the 800 is dirty now.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #30 of 48 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Bump to the top.

Death Valley 09
Furnace Creek Ranch

4. Nathan
7. Chuck - Cabin
11. Raffy (cabin)

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #31 of 48 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 9:41 am

leaving wednesday 28th early. room in the truck and on the trailer if anyone wants to join. I have to be back for dinner Saturday nite, but i have given Lt. Dan the option to stay until Sun. and drive the truck home.

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #32 of 48 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:34 am

Death Valley 09
Furnace Creek Ranch

4. Nathan
7. Chuck - Cabin
11. Raffy (cabin)
13. John & Cathy 1/30 returning 2/1 - Nice warm room.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #33 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Hey Dan sent you a PM if you are returning on Sunday I would like to catch a ride /trailer space/seat in truck- Back

I was going to spend Sunday and return with Doug and Hal but My Business partner/Boss is recieving some award on the Week of 2,2 through2,6 and will be flying out on 2,2 so I have to be here to watch the inmates.

Chuck
post #34 of 48 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Chuck, Doug and I arrived at 5:45 pm, in spite of Doug thinking his Yukon was a motocross bike and trying "triples" from hill top to hill top at 90 mph. Oh, did I mention we were towing a large trailer with three bikes on it?

Anyway we ran into Dan anf Fen and had dinner with Bruce.

Tomorrow the day starts out with use invading the "campin' bitches.." and making them fix our breakfast. Then the first ride is Titan Canyon...

Out from the HDDCDVD...

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #35 of 48 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:18 pm

We made it too. Did the long way round. Tomorrow Scotty's Castle and the sights around the valley. Saturday Las Vegas and Sunday home ttfn

05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #36 of 48 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:53 am

I prolly shuda mentioned sooner, I'm out of DVD this year. Had reservations but had to cancel after the accident. Have fun!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS

post #37 of 48 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 11:47 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
I prolly shuda mentioned sooner, I'm out of DVD this year. Had reservations but had to cancel after the accident. Have fun!

Cheers!
Bob I hope this is only a short term change to the "I ended up having to stay in BFE" stories

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #38 of 48 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Well, interesting day.

Short story....

Doug hurt his back.

My hurt back got worse...

Chuck lost his nut...

So we are heading back Saturday, ya'll have fun!!!!

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #39 of 48 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

whoa!

Details details...

Do you guys need help unloading etc, let me know.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #40 of 48 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:19 am

Well the Old Mens Club is heading out this morning. From the stories told at dinner last night Doug's GS took a nap and he hurt his back waking it up. Chuck's motorcycle took a few naps during the day and woke up once missing a nut. It did'nt make it all the way back to the cabin but got close.

It was great to see Ya'all yesterday and have a beer or two. Hope the trip home was pain free.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #41 of 48 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Well the Old Mens Club is heading out this morning. From the stories told at dinner last night Doug's GS took a nap and he hurt his back waking it up. Chuck's motorcycle took a few naps during the day and woke up once missing a nut. It did'nt make it all the way back to the cabin but got close.

It was great to see Ya'all yesterday and have a beer or two. Hope the trip home was pain free.
John not that it would polite to count but One or two of those "Beers" was over 10% alcohol

And the name "Frontal Lobotomy Bach" is well - apt.

But it was fun and WE had the same Waitress this morning for Breakfast and the same table - we must have been ok since she did not throw us out.

Could have been the tip.

Chuck
post #42 of 48 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It was a good time, nice to see everyone. It was a bit fragmented this year with some at the hotel, and some camping.

Camping was fun, and we had some good rides. Here are the routes we rode as tracked by my SPOT satellite tracker.

The southern route was out the west road and over the top via Warm Springs, up to Charlie's Ranch and over to Ballerat, and then back via the wildrose highway. The second day took us I don't know where, ending up in Beatty, and back through TIGHTASS canyon.

Here is a link to the pics I took.
(a sample)

If you want to find out more about Joe, our friend from Chicago, look here.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Last edited by Dan-A; Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:41 pm.
post #43 of 48 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:34 pm

OK
Doug , Hal and I are back . Hal had a tweeked back before he left Lodi

Still has it.

I let my F650 take several "naps" ON the first the whole gang was headed cross country to Beaty NV I only made it about a mile before the first "Nap"

My bike refused to start once I got it upright. had to "Fool" around a bit . Doug made it to a cross road where Dino was waiting to direct Doug took Dino's place waiting for me ( Last as usual) when I did not appear he came back to look for my remains.

He made it about 100 Yards before his fully equiped GS took a nap. in his words "it must have landed on some Kryptonite" because when he tryed to pick it up " it felt like it was nailed to the ground"

Second "Tweeked back"

Doug and I went back took the pavement to Beaty NV and waited for "Awhile" for the gang to apear. When they did we had a picknick in the park

No sense telling you which one if you know Beady.

Then Doug and I started on Titus Canyon while the Gang toured Ryolite (??SP?)

Needles to say they cought me MY bike took another nap refused to start on it's own had to push up a small hill to bump start going down the other side.

Had to bump start for several stops . I hate Batteries.

To end the roumor Doug does have to stop to Pee at least once a weekend I saw the spot. ( tired of sharing yet?)

So i lived through the canyon Hit the pavement and thought Hey thats what this bike was made for ( not the dirt) so I was flying low ( short bike no wind screen ) ( No sense) Dougs lights dissepearing in the rear.

THinking to myself " you know that was not bad you bought this with a bad trans tore it all down - sort of fixed the trans ( another story) put it all together put 20 miles on it and came to DV " IF I had not been hanging on I would have patted myself on the back -

Bad Karma came to visit- slowing for a MTR Home with Jeep in tow I cranked it up to go arround and.......... nothing!

HMMM???? engine is running Clutch cable works but No Mo GO !

Parked it about two miles from Camp

Doug went for the trailer I looked at the sand. Lots of sand there you know.

Got it back and looked at the chain it looked "Loose" pulled a cover and Presto no NUT! OH for you "other" BMW owners the 650 has a Chain and the counter shaft sprocket has/had a nut holding it on. But you knew that

Not a chance in hell that DV had a 22mm nut so back on the trailer.

Pics :
Doug resting his back.

Somewhere on Titus Canyon trail

And No MO Nut. Pick taken after i put the sprocket back on before it was resting on the shaft - hope there are enough left to put back on another nut/keeper.

Doug and some of the "Gang"

Dan and "Joe" I thought his name was Fin ?

And the end of the trail ( waiting for the shameful trailer ride back to camp)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	21655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2894.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	21656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	21657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	21658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	21659  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2902.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	21660  

Last edited by Chuck Presnail; Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:54 pm.
post #44 of 48 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:56 pm
BMW Guru

More Pics!!! Here's Mine CLICK CLICK

Dan's bike takes a soil sample

Would you believe I rode my 12GS up this??

Finn's new bike takes a dirt nap

Lotta water in Panamint Valley near Ballerat

Natural Blond?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #45 of 48 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Soil Sample, I like it! Good dirt!

Thanks for the pics.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #46 of 48 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
I let my F650 take several "naps" ON the first the whole gang was headed cross country to Beaty NV I only made it about a mile before the first "Nap"

And the end of the trail ( waiting for the shameful trailer ride back to camp)
No shame in a trailer ride. The one I took last year with my truck was the shameful one.

I think alot of us had "naps" this time out. I know I had several.

Great to see you out there.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #47 of 48 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:55 pm

More pics

http://www.dino2000.smugmug.com/gall...65692897_wfg98

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #48 of 48 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you want to see the ride route Click Here.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in