Best day ride out of Monterey - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Best day ride out of Monterey

Arrived today early for Moto GP. What are your recommendations for the best day rides out of Monterey/Carmel. Highway 1 is closed to the south due to fires. Where would you ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:50 am
Super Moderator

Re: Best day ride out of Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Arrived today early for Moto GP. What are your recommendations for the best day rides out of Monterey/Carmel. Highway 1 is closed to the south due to fires. Where would you ride?
I heard the reopened 1 earlier today. You can call the local CHP office and find out or the CalTrans Roa Conditions website - http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ - I just looked and 1 is open from Monterey south.

Probably the best day ride would be Carmel Valley Rd to Arroyo Seco, then cut over to King City and pick up Bitterwater Rd. out by the airport. Take that to highway 25, hand a left and enjoy blasting the canyons formed by the San Andreas fault for about 30 miles, then big open straights to play on until you get into Hollister. From there you can connect with 156 and cut back over to Monterey.

Another option would be to go north up 1 to Santa Cruz, take Highway 9 up to Skyline (Highway 35), 35 north to the 84 junction to world famous Alice's Retaurant, then down 84 (my favorite road anywhere) back to Highway 1, then south for a scenic ride back to Santa Cruz and on to Monterey.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:55 am

Do you have Garmin ? I will send you a couple of route suggestions. How many miles is your idea of day rides?

Ramon

PS: What kind of bike are you riding?
Attached Files
File Type: gdb Carmel-Monterey.gdb (160.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by DaFlake; Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:56 am.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Unfortuately I ride with a TomTom. We just did back to back 700 mile days to get here so were looking for touristy rides with twisties and scenery and maybe 200 miles or so.
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:00 am

Sorry. Not tech savy in conversion from Garmin to TomTom. Maybe someone can step in to help?

Ride safe .....
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
Sorry. Not tech savy in conversion from Garmin to TomTom. Maybe someone can step in to help?

Ride safe .....
Post it on a google map with a link.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:51 am

Follow Davids route, and on the way back stop in Castroville and try the deep fried artichoke hearts at the Giant Artichoke! Also, a great BBQ place just up the road.

Enjoy!

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54 am Thread Starter

I just inished putting in all the way points for Dave's "Alice's Resturant" route. I'll let you all know what I think about it. By the way, can we get lunch at Alice's? Can't believe I used to know that entire song by heart! Thanks for the great ideas. We'll run another one tomorrow.
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Lunch at Alice's is always available. VERY biker friendly. When I had occasion to ride by there several times, there was never a time I didn't see at least a few bikes in the parking area. Food's good, too.

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Just got back from the Alice's Resturant ride. Good tip, Dave. Thanks. Now Arlo Guthrie keeps singing in my head trying to force me to recall all the words. Maybe he'll settle for " I don't want a pickle, just wanna ride my motorcycle..." We'lll figure out tomorrows ride and let you know. Thanks again for the good tips.
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Alice's Restaurant Lyrics "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

Anyway +1 on the 9/Skyline/84/1 loop and Alices, you know that now.

Also +1 on Carmel Valley Rd, and then I'd recommend Hwy 25 up to Hollister and then 152/Hecker Pass over Mt. Madonna on the way back to Monterey.

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd through Hunter Liggett is nice too, but with Hyw 1 closed it's hard to make a loop. Be prepared to show license, registration, and proof of insurance when you go through the Hunter Liggett base.
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Alice's Restaurant Lyrics
Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd through Hunter Liggett is nice too, but with Hyw 1 closed it's hard to make a loop. Be prepared to show license, registration, and proof of insurance when you go through the Hunter Liggett base.
Agreed, very nice road. You know, I've been through there a number of times and have never been asked for any ID. I keep hearing people talk about it but they've never stopped me to check. I guess I just look honest and all 'merican and such.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 19 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:09 am

A short ride just south of Watsonville/Pajaro is the backroads of Elkhorn Slough. Might be entertaining if you're interested in sightseeing around Moss Landing and checking out some interesting twisties try Elkhorn. Coming up One from Castroville turn right at the Power Plant. Dolan road , i think, it changes name after Elkhorn, which means you've gone too far. Turn left on Elkhorn; its easy to blow past. When you get to the road to Pajaro/Watsonville turn left then turn left on Salinas Road which is a short hop back to One. Unfortunately, that's a bad place to turn left to go back south on One but it can be done. Just be careful on this part of two lane One! Really. Or, explore 4 to 5 beaches between the first Watsonville exit and La Selva Beach.
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Agreed, very nice road. You know, I've been through there a number of times and have never been asked for any ID.
I've only been through the base once, on a Saturday, and I was asked for license, registration, and insurance. There was a sheriff or local police car there as well. My insurance card was expired (the insurance wasn't, just hadn't brought the new paperwork to the bike) but they let me through. I was with two other K1200GTs, so I don't think we looked like hooligans or anything.

I've been on the part between the base and the coast a few times -- camped at the campground just outside the base because every other campground on Hwy 1 was full. Once of the nice things about camping in there is you've got to run the whole road to the coast to get supplies. :-)
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 5:43 am Thread Starter

I want to thank you guys again for the recommendations. Great rides. I'm heading down to Newport after the main race today and will stop for the night where ever "the spirit moves me". A couple of days in the LA area then back to Colorado. Thanks again. I've ridden almost 12,000 miles since June 16 with a lot of it on roads I selected both Stateside and in Canada based on reccomendations from the forum. That makes this site a pretty damn valuable resource. Where ever I am I just pull out my iPhone bring up the website, find a likely looking recommendation, check it on my iPhone map, load the GPS and head out. Never bored, never lost thanks to BMWLT website.
post #16 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 8:44 am

I am from LA area ,need no maps to get around . Went back to visit and the traffic was bad and moving FAST ,being tailgated at 75MPH on a bike makes me chew my underwear .Traffic is bad round the clock .If it were me I would take
Hwy 1/101/PCH through South Bay

BobG
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to try to force the GPS to avoid freeways where ever I can. Certainly the LA traffic is likely to be my least favorite part of the past 6 weeks of great touring around. And then I get to cross the desert to get home!
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I heard the reopened 1 earlier today. You can call the local CHP office and find out or the CalTrans Roa Conditions website - http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ - I just looked and 1 is open from Monterey south.

Probably the best day ride would be Carmel Valley Rd to Arroyo Seco, then cut over to King City and pick up Bitterwater Rd. out by the airport. Take that to highway 25, hand a left and enjoy blasting the canyons formed by the San Andreas fault for about 30 miles, then big open straights to play on until you get into Hollister. From there you can connect with 156 and cut back over to Monterey.

Another option would be to go north up 1 to Santa Cruz, take Highway 9 up to Skyline (Highway 35), 35 north to the 84 junction to world famous Alice's Retaurant, then down 84 (my favorite road anywhere) back to Highway 1, then south for a scenic ride back to Santa Cruz and on to Monterey.

Perfect!
post #19 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Managed to get off the LA Freeway without getting killed or caught. (words Guy Clark, recording Jerry Jeff Walker) Rode probably 50 miles total while lane splitting. Scary at first but so is feeling like you are going to be rear ended every time the traffic slams to a stop. Lane splitting helps with that fear of being rear ended. Anyway, made it back to Colorado despite the freeways and heat of Death Valley. Thanks to all of you who helped with ride selections and advise. If you get out to Colorado, let me know if I can return the favor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in