What a day yesterday - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

What a day yesterday

Got up yesterday morning and headed to Morgan Hill to pick up a used boat from a long time friend. After lunch, I hooked up the boat after checking all the lights, tires etc and headed back out for home.

Around 3 PM just as I was approaching the I-5 South and 580 split at 205, the right tire on the trailer blew out and part of the tire wrapped itself on the axle behind the wheel. Coasted to a quick stop. Got out and assessed damage. Wheel was fine. Called AAA and had them sent a flatbed.

Then I figured if I could get the wheel off I could cancel the service. Spent 10 minutes in the 100 plus heat trying to get the jack from under the passenger seat of my Dodge Ram 1500. Whoever designed putting it there is an idiot.

Went back to the trailer and started the process of pulling the wheel off so I could drive down to Tracy to see if I could get a new tire mounted. Got 4 bolts out but the fifth was not accessible due to the tire covering the area. Frustrated I stood there waiting for the tow truck.

Then the worst thing that could happen happened. I felt my stomach churning and the need to go to the bathroom real quick. Now it was wait for the tow truck and risk another blow out or leave the boat and get to Tracy to go to the bathroom. Disconnected the trailer, hopped in the truck and headed down exceeding the speed limit just so I wouldn't have another accident...

While heading down, the tow truck driver called and asked where exactly the boat was. I told him where and mentioned I was on my way to a restroom and would back track to the boat asap.

Got to a gas station and found much needed relief just in time. Then I high tailed it back to the boat. Tow truck driver showed up a few minutes later. We put the boat on the trailer and proceeded to Tracy. All the tire shops were closed. The tow truck driver called a tire shop in Manteca and asked them if they could wait for us. We got there and got the boat off the flatbed. Within 20 minutes I had a good used tire on the wheel and on my way back to Sacramento.

Made it home after a 12 hour day.

Should have checked to see if the spare wheel/tire were in the boat. Won't make that mistake again.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:43 am

Re: What a day yesterday

Raffy, do you think you got sick because of the heat?
Glad you made it OK in the end!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:16 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Nope. I should not have had a veggie burrito lunch.

I have not been feeling well the last few days. Fluttery stomach but no incidents. Lunch did it yesterday.

Still have the flutters. I may have to call my doctor tomorrow if this doesn't go away.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 9:28 pm

Congrats on making it to the restroom in time, and the new boat.

The kids will enjoy it. Make sure you get all the safety stuff, and a spare tire.

Finally gave mine to the son so he could have ALL the fun, not just being pulled behind it, but all the other crap that goes along with it.

It was like they say, one of the happiest days of my life when I finally decided to be done with boating, but still have lots of happy memories.

Watch your wake, keep the rope out of the prop, and you may want to get a portable toilet.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks. It's a 1978 Tahiti with 120 hp I/O 4 banger. I've fished off of this boat for several years. So I know it runs good.

I need to look in my trailer parts box and see if I have another 4" drop so the trailer sits parallel to the road. The 2" drop is going to cause issues backing it up the driveway. Don't want to drag the outdrive.

Raffy
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:32 pm

Had boats when young (grew up in South Louisiana, of course)..

I realized having the boats was a huge hassle and it took a lot of work just to START having fun!

My Pop asked me.. "Why did you get a MC and sell the boat?"

I sez... "Because as soon as I throw a leg over the bike, I am having fun until I get off the bike." He looks winsomely at me and understands...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A couple years before,

Folks took me to a "shrink" to have me "tested". Shrink asks.. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"A Pilot" sez I.

Shink sez.. "Cargo or passenger?"

"Fighter Pilot" sez I.

Shrink sez... "There are no fighter pilots on the Missisippi River!" (He thought I wanted to be a "River Pilot" like at least one fine member of this site....)

"Not yet....." sez I...

Shrink quit talking... just wrote a buncha notes...

Shrink started showing me ink blots... "What do these look like to you?"

"Crash patterns... Blood splatter patterns.... and this one kinda looks like the butterflies when they hit my faceshield"... sez I..

Shrink writes a WHOLE lot more... Invites my Mother into the room and suggests she enroll me Military Boarding School... soon.

No one suggested I operate a boat...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:54 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Thanks. It's a 1978 Tahiti with 120 hp I/O 4 banger. I've fished off of this boat for several years. So I know it runs good.

I need to look in my trailer parts box and see if I have another 4" drop so the trailer sits parallel to the road. The 2" drop is going to cause issues backing it up the driveway. Don't want to drag the outdrive.
I have a 4" drop with 2" ball on it I'm not using any more.

We want pics!!! of the boat, not the other stuff

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:01 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Will take some tomorrow. The boat is nicknamed Sponge Bob. You'll know why when you see the pictures.

I'll take you up on the 4" drop.

Thanks,
Raffy

Raffy
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:06 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Will take some tomorrow. The boat is nicknamed Sponge Bob. You'll know why when you see the pictures.

I'll take you up on the 4" drop.

Thanks,
Raffy
I'll be home most of the day tomorrow. Give me a call. I just remembered that the 4" has a 1 7/8 ball on it. We should be able to get it off...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:26 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks. I can do that. Will swing by after work if that's ok.

Raffy
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am

Wow, glad you made it, know the feeling.

A new boat, good.

A spare tire and easy to reach jack, great.

A camp shovel and a roll of toilet paper, priceless.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image023.png
Views:	167
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	18483  

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:32 am

need that RV?

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 1:05 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Sorry been busy. Decided to tent it.

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in