Teethmarks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Teethmarks

Yep, got bitten properly for the first time a week ago. I have been down at under 10 mph for various reasons over the last few years, but nothing like this.

Scene: back-country, east of Murrieta/Temecula Memorial Day, riding Ron Rieger's brand new GS. From what we can piece together, I tipped it over too far in a corner, something ground and caught and in a flash I was bashed to the road, then the bike flipped over, I did as well, and ended in the gravel beside the quiet country road at 10 in the morning.

Significant bruises on both sides, broken and cracked ribs on my left, contused left lung, 4 days in hospital, out to a hotel in Oceanside, then flew back to SFO on Sunday. Feeling pretty stiff and sore, but back to work today, needing the 2 percoset every 6 hours still.

Pretty sad about Ron's bike. He was very nice to me about it. Lets hope it gets written off so he can get a new one.

Lessons I can see:
1. I had been riding a FZ1000 all the day before with huge pilot roads, huge grip. I may have been still riding on yesterday's grip. I needed to have a more gradual uptake on the GS's workings, I was over-confident.
2. Never take out your mate's new bike....the guilt is hard to live with.
3. Thank god I had great gear and I was well protected. In particular the perforated Vanson leather jacket proved its worth.

I really like the area though with Mt Palomar etc. Montezuma Hwy was exceptional, the downhill/uphll run was sensational. The FZ was a great bike. Its the first UJM 4 I have ridden at length and I have to say it cornered in quite an exciting manner, the bike seems to simply roll from side to side underneath you, something I have never felt before and I can see why people like them.

Anyway, pretty disappointed to have a crash after 9 years riding in America, especially when its my fault. I'd like to say thanks to Ron back in Chicago for being such a standout guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BitOfABruise.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	18160  

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 5:06 am

Re: Teethmarks

Glad to hear that your okay Ralph. But one question:

Shouldn't you wash the dirt off?? Man, that's one ugly bruise.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:03 am
cws

Garage

Well, 10 points for daring to post that pic, Ralph!
Ouch! Good to hear your not seriously injured.
Was that with any leathers or other (pants) riding gear on, or just jeans?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:12 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

OUCH! Glad you are ok.

Everyone from Chicago are stand up kinda folks.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:22 am

Teethmark and fingernail scratchings, mate!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:27 am
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the accident, Ralph. That's one ugly bruise! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, I'm not that far away.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:36 am

Some random thoughts:

First of all....since when does BMWLT.com post male semi-nude photos?

Not many guys I would let ride any of my bikes....Ralph is one of them. We rode 370 miles of all severe twisty roads the day before with never a hint of problem.

Accident occurred on Sage rd (R3 just south of Wilson Valley Rd) near town of Aquanga. Mostly 15-25mph indicated. Police report not withstanding....we cruised them at 50-60MPH

We switched bikes (2005 Yamaha FZ1000, pipe and chip, Pilot powers)...very fast and 2007 R1200GS w/Metzlar Tourances(just picked up 3 days prior) I rode that bike the previous day and was able to keep Ralph and my Son in sight on Palomar MTN but just barely. It corners way better then you would expect but after just getting off the FZ...Well I think you might expect a little to much grip.

I was right behind Ralph and had been leading prior to the get off I am pissed at myself for telling Ralph to take the lead as I was not 'feeling it' yet. I know the road pretty well as it is only 15 minutes from my place......I think he was still mentally on the FZ and was leaned way to far over. No brake light came on..I think the front end washed out and then the left side peg caught and flipped him off.

Not fun to see one of your best riding buddies flip threw the air and come down hard with a big cloud of dust.

Bike will be repaired or replaced. With 9 other rides in the stable....I don't get too attached anyway. I do however have only one Aussie maniacal riding buddy so heal up soon so we can properly rip up the back roads in Northern Utah!

Ron
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Holy crap, Ralph. That's a nasty contusion, and broken ribs are no fun at all. That's a fairly serious tumble you took, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Heal up well, old buddy.

Ron, you're a class act all the way.

-joel
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joel, David and you other LT mates......

I am just giving this list of my experience with broken ribs so that if it happens to anyone else they will know what someone's experience was as a refernce point....as I found it very hard to get useful information from the doctors (including two in the family, one of whom is an orthopedic surgeon!)......they were very vague, could not give me any useful facts, even anecdotal.....

Situation:
Left side only
54 yo, not all that fit.
1 x definite broken rib (7th) at the back, 2 x other sus. broken ribs one at back, one on the side.
something with the sternum...they couldn't say what.
Contused left lung.
Now 24 days since accident:

1. Painful for 10 days. You'll know what I mean by painful.
2. At 10 days something happened and pain went down by an order of magnitude, I could then get out of bed relatively easily. I think the ends in the 3 places knitted then, before then I could feel them grinding together. Still get some strange pops/sounds though 3 weeks later.
3. Back at work after 7 days. Could have been earlier, but hard to put in normal 10-12 hr days.
4. 8 hrs days at work are best, even now. I have to get up every 1/2 hour or so just to walk a bit to relieve things.
5. Off any regular meds basically, but still take some morning and night (Tylenol + Advil) as at the end of the day still get pretty sore.
6. Not chopping wood yet.
7. Had my first sneeze yesterday....very heavily controlled though.
8. Sleep in a chair/heavily upright for 2 weeks, flatter then on. Can sleep on my side after 3 weeks.

I have also read of a rider who broke several ribs and was riding the next day. I can imagine this, but it must have been quite uncomfortable and I would only have done it out of sheer desperation. Everyone's pain threshold is different, I guess mine is pretty low if this is the scale.

HTH some poor unfortunate.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in