Ride Report RTN 5/29-30 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 30th, 2008, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Ride Report RTN 5/29-30

After getting a few errands and phone calls taken care of, I was out of the house at the crack of 10 on Thursday morning. My goal was more points for the RTN tour.

I shot up 88 for some locations for the passes & summits category. Carson Spur was the first. Just a light bit of snow was falling here. Not enough to stick on the road, though.

Carson Pass

Luther Pass

Now back down 50. Echo Summit.

After a late lunch at the St. Pauli Inn, I rode farther west on 50 to the Sly Park exit, then over to Mormon Emigrant Trail, and back to 88 once again.

After dropping in elevation westbound on 88, I turned off on Omo Ranch Road, to North South Road, and then rode a rutted fire road to the campsite of a couple co-workers. They’d hauled up their dirt bikes and quads for a few days on the trails. They had a spare bunk in the Toy Hauler. So I claimed it — after a night of adult beverages, bitching about work, and telling motorcycle stories around the campfire.

Paul cleaning his bike.

John: Paul says he look you up on that “other” board for a bit of friendly harassment.

Next morning my friends were off for more mud puddles. I was off to three reservoirs between 50 and 80 way up in the hills:

Stumpy Meadows

Hell Hole

French Meadows

The Forestry Roads that connect these are a blast to ride. I’d never ridden that far back before.

Came back out via Foresthill, then Auburn, and down 80. I stopped at A & S for a potty break and a free soda. Ted was too busy selling a motorcycle to talk too long but he did say I should post some pics. So --- I just did.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 31st, 2008, 12:43 am

Re: Ride Report RTN 5/29-30

Wow, great report and pictures, Tom.
post #3 of 6 Old May 31st, 2008, 3:13 pm

[QUOTE=tlash] Just a light bit of snow was falling here. Not enough to stick on the road, though.QUOTE]

You should have been there on Tuesday evening around 6:00. I got snowed in and had to spend the night in Kirkwood, couldn't go up the hill, couldn't go down. Fortunately the son of a family friend works there and let me sleep on his couch. It was the second blizzard I had been in that day, first was at the top of Bristlecone Pines that morning. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I'm ready for the heat to start.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:18 am
BMW Guru

Great ride Tom! Sorry I couldn't chat on Friday. Sold 5 bikes in the last two days. Gas prices must be good for business

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Great ride Tom! Sorry I couldn't chat on Friday. Sold 5 bikes in the last two days. Gas prices must be good for business
Ted's buying!

Nice ride report Tom. I better get busy!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 9:39 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Ted's buying!
no no, Ted's selling

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in