What happened too the SNOW ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 19th, 2008, 12:27 am Thread Starter

What happened too the SNOW ?

The wife & I did Hwy 108 (Sonora pass @ 9800') Hwy 89 (Tioga pass @ 9000) today and We were shocked by the lack of snow !!

Damn we are in for one hell of a drought

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; May 19th, 2008 at 12:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:59 am

Re: What happened too the SNOW ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
The wife & I did Hwy 108 (Sonora pass @ 9800') Hwy 89 (Tioga pass @ 9000) today and We were shocked by the lack of snow !!

Damn we are in for one hell of a drought

I rode sonora, carson and monitor pass yesterday as well. Very little snow and the lakes are all low as well. It will be a very rough year for water.

PS, HWY 89 is not Tioga pass. Tioga is 120 in the Yosemite park. HWY 89 is monitor pass.
post #3 of 9 Old May 19th, 2008, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
I rode sonora, carson and monitor pass yesterday as well. Very little snow and the lakes are all low as well. It will be a very rough year for water.

PS, HWY 89 is not Tioga pass. Tioga is 120 in the Yosemite park. HWY 89 is monitor pass.
Monitor .... My bad, was pretty whipped tired when i posted last night

Yea, waters pretty damn sparse every place.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #4 of 9 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:29 pm

What time were you out and about? I didnt see any other LT's on the road. I was on an Impalla Brown LT but I left sac around 8 am and never stopped much except for an occasional photo. I dont know about you but my LT was sliding on those tar patches on the road. The later the day went, the hotter they got and the slipier they were. I also had to watch some of those turns on 108. There was some light gravel on some of those tight turns. I had never ridden 108 before so some of those crazy switchbacks caught me off guard. I just slowed down and played it cool but I must say I felt like a rookie rider on some of those turns. I took 49 down to 108 and over to 395, up 89 and down 88. I will post some pics when I can.
post #5 of 9 Old May 20th, 2008, 12:01 am Thread Starter

We left PV @ 9:00 and did not make it too Sonora till @ noon, were having lunch in Walker @ 2:00, Icecream in Marklyville @ 3:30. Did 88 as well &
tried to go down iron mountain road but it was closed ... WTF, did Omo ranch road into fairplay, onto somerset & bucksbar road back towards PV.

Yea, we were slippin & a sliden on the snakes too. Gotta watch the corners because of the RV'er headed up 108 to Kennedy meadows .... Damn corner cutters !!

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; May 20th, 2008 at 12:10 am.
post #6 of 9 Old May 20th, 2008, 12:11 am

I'm glad I wasnt the only one that noticed the slip N slide. My dad has always forewarned me of those but there is just no preparing for that sliding feeling. You definatley need to look out for the crazy RVers. I almost saw an accident on front of me from one. I wish I stopped more often but I had a birthday to go to that evening and I was trying to make it back early. I almost stopped in Markleyville but it was nothing but a bunch of sport bikes and harleys so I passed. I had a close call on 88. I had a huge buck jump out in front of me. Luckly the servo brakes on the LT brought me to a quick stop. Everyone was slamming on brakes and I was concerned of the truck behind me not stopping in time but there was more room than I thought between us. That buck scared the crap out of me. He freaked out when I stoped and jumped from one side of the road to the other, and his hooves slid on the road. Sort of funny to watch.
post #7 of 9 Old May 20th, 2008, 12:14 am

I am in folsom just down 50 from you. Let me know if you want to ride sometime. I am always looking for riding buddies, especially LT riders.
post #8 of 9 Old May 20th, 2008, 12:24 am Thread Starter

You have a PM,
Another buddy of mine lives in Folsom up behind Costco and rides a 06 LT as well

Actually quite a few of us nuts in the local area. Watch the Nor-Cal board and just hook up with some of the activity, you will soon have MANY LT'er in your phone book.

Scott

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 9 Old May 20th, 2008, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
You have a PM,
Another buddy of mine lives in Folsom up behind Costco and rides a 06 LT as well

Actually quite a few of us nuts in the local area. Watch the Nor-Cal board and just hook up with some of the activity, you will soon have MANY LT'er in your phone book.

Scott
Funny, thats where I live. I live in Empire Ranch right behind Costco up in the hills. I will heep an eye out for an 06. I had seen a pre-05 blue one in the morning but I havent seen him in a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in