New bike, don't laugh - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:44 am Thread Starter

New bike, don't laugh

Hi all, I sold my RT and the Rocket. I am now riding an 08 Harley Ultra Classic, the 105th Annv. model. I am loving it. One of the first farkles I added has been a Russell seat. Retirement is treating me well with lots of time for riding.

Mike Benzon
06 Red R1200RT
05 Red Triumph Rocket III
Burney CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:51 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: New bike, don't laugh

Congrats on the new bike. Great way to enjoy retirement.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 11:03 am
Gold Supporter

Congrats Mike!!!

Made the same move myself recently, but went with the pearl white instead of the anniversary colors. You are going to love her!!!

I hope your second Farkle will be a stage-one kit with some decent pipes? Not for the noise, but to help that big engine breath easier and cut down on a lot of heat. Third Farkle is the Kuryakyn Saddle Shields (make sure they are for the 08) to protect your thighs from the two nuclear reactors right under your legs. Then get a better horn. After that it's all chrome.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Congrats Mike!!!

Made the same move myself recently, but went with the pearl white instead of the anniversary colors. You are going to love her!!!

I hope your second Farkle will be a stage-one kit with some decent pipes? Not for the noise, but to help that big engine breath easier and cut down on a lot of heat. Third Farkle is the Kuryakyn Saddle Shields (make sure they are for the 08) to protect your thighs from the two nuclear reactors right under your legs. Then get a better horn. After that it's all chrome.
When do you buy the trailer??!?!?
post #5 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Benzon
Hi all, I sold my RT and the Rocket. I am now riding an 08 Harley Ultra Classic, the 105th Annv. model. I am loving it. One of the first farkles I added has been a Russell seat. Retirement is treating me well with lots of time for riding.

Hi Mike, I'm kidding of course... ride what makes you smile. It's all good -- especially the retirement part. Congrats! 167 days to go for me, but who's counting?

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin - but making great time.
post #6 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Sweet ride, and I like the copper/black.

The Ultra comes with the only stock H-D seat that is comfy.

Whenever I get a 2-up touring bike it will be an Ultra or a Goldwing....
post #7 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Nice bike and I love those colors. My dad just bought a 08 Street Glide. Its a nice bike. He spent some extra dought for the stage one kit and some Reinhardt duals out the back. The bike sounds great. One of the best I have heard. Its worth its weight in gold over stock. He hasnt complained about heat yet so I would just ride it and see if it bothers you. I was also able to talk him inot the ABS option. The harleys are becoming good bikes. My dads has electronic cruise, abs, alarm. It also has XM radio and heated grips he can add from the factory. Not too shabby. Nice bike, it would possibly be my pick of a harley.
post #8 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Congrats Mike !!

I'm still riding the LT you missed out on at A&S years ago ...
Enjoy your HD, you earned it

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 2:58 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Mike,
Welcome to the "Dark Side" of motorcycling! I went from a LT to a Streetglide and am very pleased with the results. I added the Stage II kit and it runs very well...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #10 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 3:12 pm

And yet another one who made the switch -- White Ultra SE --- but I won't rule out having another LT some day. I guess I will have to see what the next "generation" brings.
post #11 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 3:34 pm

I, also, went from an LT to an Ultra Classic. I have an '07. My first farkle was going to the Stage II. Having the cam and extra 7 cubic inches REALLY woke the bike up. I put Rhinehart slip-ons on also. A little too loud for my taste, but it feels like it breathes better.

The best farkle, however, is the seat I put on. The stock seat just killed me after an hour or two. I tried the "Tallboy" seat and it got a little better, but I still suffered from burn and pain after a few hours.

I ride a bike at work, and I am able to sit all day with no pain. So I found the same air-sprung seat and put it on the UC. WOW, what a difference. I made a non-stop run from Phoenix to home after Bike Week and spent 12 hours in the saddle and was comfortable all the way.

Short story - do the Stage II and try the air-sprung seat. You will love them both.

JMHO - YMMV

Congrats and enjoy!!

p.s. I have the Tallboy and a backrest for sale. Make me an offer.

Daniel
SF Bay Area
'82 Suzuki GS1000SZ Katana
'01 Harley FXDWG2 "Lily"
'04 Ducati Multistrada "Annabella"

God made some cops perfect, the rest He put in cars.
post #12 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Wow! I am surprised at the Harley owners here. The seat wasn't the only farkle I went for. I did the stage I with Vance and Hynes ovals, SE air cleaner and the SE race turner.
I have been researching the heat issue and the best advice I have found is to replace the cams with something other than the stock cams, something with overlap timing. The overlap timing allows a little cool air charge to reach the cylinder before finishing the exhaust stroke, which effectively lowers the exhaust temp form 1300 F to 900 F. So that is my next step.
The V & H slip ons have a very nice sound, not too loud until you pull hard on the throttle. They seem to have a deeper sound without getting too loud. The Annv models come stock with the ABS and Security system. By the way, new for 08 models is Brembo brakes and a six gallon tank.
Thanks all for the comments.

Mike Benzon
06 Red R1200RT
Burney CA

post #13 of 20 Old May 17th, 2008, 7:54 pm

I am not laughing, as I ride a Harley. Congrats from me too. Look how many Harley riders are lurking. I am surprised too!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #14 of 20 Old May 18th, 2008, 1:40 am

Oh yeah, the heat issue.

I wrapped the exhaust from head to slip-on with a perfomance exhaust wrap that is supposed to keep the heat in and provide more power. Something the racers and drag racers have been for years, I guess. I wrapped it up nice and tight, put the covers back on and you can hardly see that I have done it. In fact, if I didn't tell you it was there, you probably wouldn't notice - except for the fact that the heat from the pipes is down (with no scientific way of telling for sure except bun comfort) about 50%. Makes the bike totally rideable even the in the worst of the summer heat. And if I get an extra horse power or two - GREAT!

I think this the stuff I bought. (The wrap is under a ton of crap in my garage - but this looks right)

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...exhaust%2Cwrap

Daniel
SF Bay Area
'82 Suzuki GS1000SZ Katana
'01 Harley FXDWG2 "Lily"
'04 Ducati Multistrada "Annabella"

God made some cops perfect, the rest He put in cars.
post #15 of 20 Old May 18th, 2008, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks Daniel
I used the same stuff on my race car years ago. Also I might mention that the ceramic coating of the exhaust pipes does an equal job and adds more performance gain than the wrap. I may consider these options, though I still intend to replace the stock cams.
If the Harley people think thier motors are hot now, wait until the motor company goes to water cooled motors, which they say is coming soon.

Mike Benzon
06 Red R1200RT
Burney CA

post #16 of 20 Old May 18th, 2008, 6:25 pm

The heat is caused by the extremely lean air/fuel mixture required to overcome EPA O2 emissions. A lot of the motors have been frying. The only real way to overcome it is to have someone that knows what they're doing install a Power Commander III with the correct map in it and block the O2 sensors. They will enrichen the A/F mix making the bike run cooler and better.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Mike,
Welcome to the "Dark Side" of motorcycling! I went from a LT to a Streetglide and am very pleased with the results. I added the Stage II kit and it runs very well...
I did the same thing form a LT to Streetglide and loving it.
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:10 pm

Thumbs up Re: New bike, don't laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Benzon
Congrats! That's a great bike! At my first service (1K) the fluids were changed to synthetic (Amsoil) and I noticed the engine heat seemed to drop. My legs were very happy!

Enjoy your retirement and the "new" rides!!

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:20 pm

This is a bizarre thread. I went from two Harleys to an LT in May, just sold it on e-bay and going back to an Ultra next week.

cool
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Man oh man, one little ol' Harley sure generated a lotta posting.

Mike trust me, you will get accustomed to riding a bike that is not top heavy and you will likely not miss the joy of going to the dealership for a new rear drive every 15-20K miles.

Congrats.....

Jim

Woodbridge, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in