NorCal Coast Route Suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

NorCal Coast Route Suggestions?

I am going to do a 2 dayer this weekend up the coast north of SFO. The provisional route is 1165 miles, achievable I think in 2 big days given the road conditions.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Anyone is very welcome to ride with me, starting early Saturday morning from Mountain View, aim to have brekkie in Bodega Bay, maybe Stinson Beach if I start a bit late.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA North Coast Possibilities.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	17736  

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Super Moderator

Re: NorCal Coast Route Suggestions?

That looks pretty good to me considering the timeframe and distance. I'm heading back to Arkansas to help my mom and driving a cage in the land of humidity and large bugs for the next 2 weeks. Enjoy, I'm jealous!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Looks like you've got highway 36 in there. You can't go wrong on that road - 140 miles of twisties!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 8 Old May 8th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Nice route until @ Red Bluff .... You should find your way west soon as you can and ride south back to the bay on Hwy 101, Riding I-5 from Redding is just the shits IMO.

Have a GREAT ride !

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #5 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 3:48 am
IBR# 366

Garage

There are some awesome roads in there, you're gonna enjoy it. While I agree that I-5 south isn't all that interesting, if you're worn out or pushing time by then it'll get you back south in a hurry.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 2:38 pm

If you're not going to get back up there very often it would be a shame to miss the "Lost Coast" road (Mattole Rd.) between Ferndale and Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #7 of 8 Old May 12th, 2008, 2:24 am Thread Starter

Re: NorCal Coast Trip Report

Thanks for the advice everyone, very useful. I did the route and found it more tiring than I expected. The changes were:
1. I went up 101 to Leggett - I didn't get going until after 8am so I left the Fort Bragg ride for another day.
2. I added in the "Avenue of the Giants" in Humboldt Redwoods State Park that runs parallel to 101 from north of Garberville thru to Pepperwood. This was an excellent ride...like Muir Woods but 20 miles or so long. Really, to be fair, the trip was worth it for this portion alone (if I had got off the bike that is!).
3. Did the "Lost Coast" which was interesting except for the coast itself which was pretty ordinary. I had pictured crashing surf a la Carmel Highlands and "Play Misty For Me"...instead we got something like the Aleutian Islands where they clean all the fish...the route wasn't helped by the 500 cyclists in various stages of distress plastered all over the route, reducing it to a crawl most of the way. Ferndale produced a GEM though....the No Brand Burger Stand.....I had a double cajun bacon cheese burger which required an extra click on the preload.....my goodness it was good, reminded me of a proper Aussie hamburger, lots of juice.
3. Instead of taking the 3 from Yreka to Callahan, I went down the 5 a way and came over the road from Gazelle...that was a very nice run.

About 1200 miles all up. Its a very full 2 days, even starting early. I stayed in Weaverville which is a great place to stop, some real choice in accom and meals. Recommended.

Highlights:
1. The Avenue of the Giants.
2. The southern end of the 3 from Douglas City to the junction on the 36...apart from the Hayfork flats, this is a nice sprint.
3. The 96 from WIllow Creek to Happy Camp.....I thought this was the wildest area and was a wonderful run after breakfast Sunday morning.
4. The best run I had was late Sunday afternoon when I did the eastern half of the 36. The central section around the junction with the 3 is infected with gravel on right handers if heading east and effectively spoils the run - due to logging trucks dragging on the corners. But a few miles east of Wildwood, the road swaps to the other side of the ridge (beautiful views north eh?) and then its clear of gravel for those heading east and what a brilliant run. Gave it a caning really.

Also, be aware that the road from Callahan to Cecilville, rated #2 for NorCal in the Destination Highways book, has red pea-sized gravel all over it and this became a 50 mile round trip of frustration. Otherwise, I suspect it would deserve its high category. This gravel seemed only to be inside the boundary of the State Forest so its probably of their doing.

Finally, I stopped at Wildwood Store on the 36 to get gas. Its now owned by a bloke (Andrew Boehm...no relation) who is an ex bike racer and wants to make it a bit of a haven. He's started out well, he has the only Super I could find on the 36 plus they still have the old nozzles and the flow has been regulated to be bike friendly...its the fullest my bike has been since I've been in California.

So, upon reflection, my suggested itinerary would be:
Leave Friday evening and get north as far as you can, even Santa Rosa or Petaluma would be good, just to take the edge off things.
101 N to Avenue of the Giants
36W to East.
5N to Redding
299 W to Weaverville for the night.
299 W to Willow Creek, have breakfast there.
98 N to Happy Camp then stay on 98 E across to Yreka.
5 S to Gazelle
17 S to Callahan
93W to Cecilville and pray the gravel is gone. Return.
3 S to Weaverville.
3 S to Junction with 36.
...then you have a choice of east/west on the 36 and taking the 101 or the 5 home. Scott was right, the 101 is an order of magnitude nicer than the 5.

Great weekend, I'm stuffed, thanks for the advice everyone...

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 8 Old May 12th, 2008, 11:36 am

Thumbs up Re: NorCal Coast Route Suggestions?

Glad to hear you had a good ride and got back home safely. A bit of a butt burner for sure, but you got a good idea on what the area has to offer given a slower pace and some time to enjoy it. Beautiful part of the state without a doubt !

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in