Not your normal disturbance in the force - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Not your normal disturbance in the force

Hello all,

Today was a very interesting day for Joan and me. Some of the HDDC riders know that my cancer recently took a turn for the worse. While in the hospital this week a CTScan showed my liver had increased in size and there are new tumors that are not operable.

Needless to say Joan and I were very upset. Usually there is always optimism but for a little while there was only dispair.

Today is my first day home from hospital and it was an interesting day, to say the least. At 10am the doorbell rang and on my porch stood 4 Tibetan Monks and their interpreter. They are in Sacramento to perform the Buddha of Compassion Empowerment on Saturday night and other events relative to their beliefs. Through a friend of a friend the monks heard Joan's and my story and came to bless our house and me.

Me and the Tibetan Monks

Joan, Me, and the Monks

Even though I am not Buddhist I was moved by the ceremony. They chanted/prayed for over 90 minutes. It was an awesome experience. The scarf we are wearing is called a khata and is part of blessing ceremony. Each was blessed by the highest level monk in attendence (Geshe). Joan explains it is a high honor to have been given it and I accept it as such.

Shortly after the Monks went on their way the door rang again and it was Roger Moore (no picture needed).

Roger brought some "cheer-me-up" gifts and even brought my two shelties presents. I must admit that I almost ate one dog treat thinking it was a SlimJim. No luck, it turned out to be a dog sausage. Speedy may still have a fight on his hands for that one.

I am so touched by the "acts of loving kindness" I have received recently. It doesn't matter if we are HDDC, EXR, NorCal, or whatever, Joan and I have received great strength from the fact that in November 2002 we bought an LT and met so many nice and caring people

The Monks, Roger, and some of the POSSE members have helped me to know Joan and I are not alone in this new phase of my battle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Just ridin'

Re: Not your normal disturbance in the force

Thanks for relating the experience. For you, it is clear that opportunity comes from adversity. It is a shame you have to face so many challenges, but very inspiring to see you rise to them.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dell,

I just happened upon this forum message and want you to know that my thoughts are with you and your loved ones as you travel this uncharted road. May peace and comfort be yours as you go forward.
That's a really cool happening with the Monks.

All the best,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Hey Dell,

Great to see that you are home and with a smile.
Hope your up to coming on down to A&S on Saturday, if so I'll see ya there. ( Having Tires put on at 10:30)
IF ya need anything just call.

John

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Dell: If there's anything you need just let me know and I'll round up some RCBers and we'll get it done for you. Nothing but good thoughts coming your way from us.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:39 pm
Super Moderator

Thank you for sharing that with us, I was very moved by it. That is a very special experience and one I'm sure you cherish. You are in our thoughts.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:43 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Dell & Joan,
Through out life we all meet many people. Some interesting, some worthless, but if we are aware enough, some very influential and beneficial to us in many various ways.

I have been blessed with knowing some fine folks in my lifetime that have influenced me a great deal. Many offered wisdom, knowledge, and life changing advice. To those folks I am eternally grateful, and I have told them so and thanked them.

But Dell, you have offered me so much more than friendship. Beyond your wit, intelligence, charm, and vast life experiences, you have provided to me the understanding of one's internal self. And ultimately it is only one's self that guides us through out life. Your inner strength to accept incredible challenges, and to succeed, is simply inspiring. The greater the challenge, the greater your response and resolve. You are my hero.

And I thank you, my friend, for your life lessons to me. You are forever in my thoughts and prayers.

Hal

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Great photo, you must get that one framed.

Your ability to fight on is inspiring.
Your sense of humor is a joy to behold.
Your musical abilities are amazing.
Your compassion for others struggling with adversity is admirable.
But-
MONKS in your livingroom, PRICELESS!

Way to go Dell, with friends like those guys, any and everything is possible.
May all your days be as uplifting as today was.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Dell:

I still have a vivid memory (ingrained) of the picture you posted with you standing up on the pegs of the LT. It shows your triumphant return from a trip. But the underlying message is the 'no quit' attitude.

Fight on!

You have all the support you need.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Apr 25th, 2008 at 4:06 pm.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Thanks for relating the experience. For you, it is clear that opportunity comes from adversity. It is a shame you have to face so many challenges, but very inspiring to see you rise to them.
Dell,

Randy has expressed my sentiments as well.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 9:21 am

For years you have waged a physical battle against all odds against this dreaded Cancer, but miracles are born of spiritual battles. This new campaign is the one that will lift your spirits, cleanse your body and finally give you the opportunity to scream from the mountain tops, I'm free of this disease!

I firmly believe, though the prayers of others and your strong faith, that you'll not only win this new battle, but you'll win the war!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 2:31 am

Thanks for sharing Dell. You and Joan are in my prayers. If you ever need anything, just let me know.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 3:24 am

Best of luck in your recovery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in