RTN April 5-7 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

RTN April 5-7

RCB wasn’t too far away from my house today. Sorry I missed the ride, but I went out for a ride of my own this morning. The last info I had from John was that he was in the lead for points on the RTN tour. That just won’t do.

I met my bride for her lunch break in Martinez at 10:00. From there I rode south on 680 to 101 s/b. At King City the ride got pretty, and fun – just what I’d come out for.

Jolon Road (Monterey G-14) is a smooth two-lane asphalt ribbon with gradual sweepers, winding through spring green California coastal hills. The guard gate/check point into Fort Hunter-Leggett was easy – I had my DL, reg, and insurance all ready; I was waived through with a smile.

Ya know, this post wouldn’t be a bad permanent party assignment for a soldier: small, pretty countryside, mostly serving transient reserve and guard forces. It’s probably somewhat laid back for an Army post. It sure seemed a sharp contract to the post I spent most of my Army time – Fort Hood. Two full divisions, plus several independent brigades. Hood was not a laid place.

The most remote of the California missions is on Hunter-Leggett. Father Serra founded this Mission, San Antonio de Padua in 1771, to save/enslave the indigenous people of California. (Based on your own personal beliefs, you pick which is right). This was the third of the twenty-one California missions.

But more to the point — this site is worth 1470 points in the Road to Nowhere Tour!

I bet I can out run those tracks -- But I doubt I could out run that one-five-two mike-mike!

If you ever find yourself between King City and Paso Robles, and you aren’t in a rush, I’d like to suggest you steer your scooter off of 101, and try G-14 for a nice by-way break. I recommend it.

A short cut to Morro Bay off of SR 46 is Old Creek Road, which passes by the Whale Rock reservoir.

California poppies in the spring:

A few minutes later I was in Morro Bay with 5730 points more with my picture of Morro Rock.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned

Re: RTN April 5-7

Nice Pic's Tom. Did you do the Pinnicles NP on your way home? Hwy. 25 is a real nice ride either direction.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 1:26 am Thread Starter

No, Kay and I got Pinnacles a few weeks ago; right after we got the rally flag. But I did get these on the long way home:

Mitchell Caverns Visitors' Center:

Kelso Depot:

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

Last edited by tlash; Apr 8th, 2008 at 1:51 am.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:27 am

Hey Tom,

My first job out of college (38 years ago) was as a band and choir director for the junior highschool in King City. I rode a Yamaha 650 then and seeing your pictures brought back a lot of memories of places I rode.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Tom,

You pulled a Long Way Back, looks like you collected enough points to take the lead. I'll know more tonight when I get all the points logged in.
Congrats! but this means war!
I guess it's time I go for another ride.

No worries for the rest of the contestants, we're not eligible for the prizes.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Last edited by amarider; Apr 8th, 2008 at 1:04 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
[...] we're not eligible for the prizes.
Just doing it for the glory!
...and the free beer.

There is free beer, right?

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #8 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:26 pm
Banned

Thumbs up Re: RTN April 5-7

After a ride that long....Kay deserves the BEER! I will buy the 1st round. Great trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in