Expresso Riders - Rhythm in the Redwoods - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:35 am Thread Starter

Cool Expresso Riders - Rhythm in the Redwoods

Expresso Riders presents the Rhythm in the Redwoods Ride to the Redwood Coast Jazz Festival in Eureka, California March 28-30. Route to Eureka Friday will include famous Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna. We'll return Sunday via Hwy 101 through Avenue of the Giants in the Redwood Forest. Jazz Festival events all day Saturday including the fabulous Saturday Night Dance Party. Shuttle service between Jazz events as well as motel provided. Accomodations are at one of our favorite motorcycle friendly locations The Bayshore Inn at Humboldt Bay. http://www.bwbayshoreinn.com/ Book your own rooms for two nights ASAP as the town will be literally jumping that weekend. Sign up on the calendar at www.expressoriders.org. Of course, you can do this ride and skip the Jazz Festival on Saturday. There is plenty of excellent riding and scenery in the north coast area but do plan on attending the Saturday night event! This ride is subject to cancellation in the event of protracted severe weather. All riders welcome: couples, singles, two-up, one-up, and any make bike with legal exhaust. Send a PM to Tallyho with questions. Hope you can make this ride part of your spring riding plans!

http://www.redwoodjazz.org/index2.html

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by DavidTaylor; Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:12 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 9:33 am

Bob: Another coincidental ride to Eureka with the RCB! I saw and answered your thread on the RCB website and I'm hoping we can all get together somewhere on that weekend. Let me know if it's possible.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

I saw your response. Thanks. I think everyone would like to try and meet up for some grub and gab while we're all up on the Redwood Coast together.

EXR has plans/tickets for Saturday night Jazz Dance Concert in town so we'll probably skip Samoa Cookhouse this time. Bayshore has a pretty good breakfast included with the room charge. So, I've got an idea for a Saturday lunch meetpoint up in Klamath on Buck Creek about 70 miles up Hwy 1 towards Crescent City. Good stuff if you're game and the weather cooperates.

Bob Morrow #4204

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I don't think I can make this one Bob. But one of these days, I'm gonna suprise everyone on the West Coast.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I don't think I can make this one Bob. But one of these days, I'm gonna surprise everyone on the West Coast.
Just remember you're always invited and definitely welcome. I have five more weekend rides(one per month) after this one in addition to ten days for CCR. Plenty of room before and after as well. We'll leave the light on for ya!

http://www.expressoriders.org/interest.htm

Bob Morrow #4204
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I saw your response. Thanks. I think everyone would like to try and meet up for some grub and gab while we're all up on the Redwood Coast together.

So, I've got an idea for a Saturday lunch meetpoint up in Klamath on Buck Creek about 70 miles up Hwy 1 towards Crescent City. Good stuff if you're game and the weather cooperates.
This sounds really good, I'll put it out there with my next newsletter column in the RCB, just need the details. I'm sure a lot of the RCBers would want to go.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Expresso Riders - Rhythm in the Redwoods

The ride is on!

Details at www.expressoriders.org

Rally @ Starbucks/Arena & I5 0800

TFBECO @ 0830

Let's roll!!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Re: Expresso Riders - Rhythm in the Redwoods

Hey Bob....just waiting for your update on the trip..how did it all go???

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:09 pm

Man... what a weekend...

Pictures can tell some of the story, but a complete diatribe of events will be forth coming. In the meantime, pictures of the ride are posted here:

http://expressoriders.org/gallery/v/UncleMark/Rhythm/

the diatribe is posted here:

http://expressoriders.org/SMF/index.php?topic=16.0

Suffice to say... AWESOME does not do it justice.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 15 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Been busy in meetings for new fiscal year financials. I'll drop a ride report ASAP. Mark's is pretty good with a ton of photos on the EXR site. Our decision to go Friday and stick with our original route despite the variable weather paid off handsomely on both an exciting and beautiful ride up Friday and sunny skies Sat and Sun. They say electric togs can extend your riding season.......and they were right! Be sure to check out the snowfall shots at Wildwood.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
We all met at our rally point Friday morning with partially cloudy skies. The weather report was not encouraging for Friday but this was not the first time we'd decide to run a little rain on the way if the reward would be sunny skies for the rest of the weekend. One of my mirrors was accidently knocked off before departure and despite having it tethered, part of the retainer plate inside cracked off. Two retainer posts were fine so with a lovely piece of duct tape for insurance we headed up I5 under sunny skies to our second rally point in Red Bluff. The clouds were gathered over the coastal range and we could see snow near the top. Everyone buttoned down and switch on the electrics for the ride across 36. It had just turned into a light drizzle as we arrived at the Wildwood Cafe. Seems the place was sold about four months ago to a young couple and their kids. Andrew, the proprietor is big riding nut himself and asked me to pass along his invitation to all riders to stop in at Wildwood as they transit Hwy 36. While we waited for the lunch to be served a glance out the window showed a light snow fall that gradually turned into large flakes. Quite the winter wonderland but with temps in the mid-40s it was not sticking. After a savory lunch and a good warm up compliments of the woodstove we took off into the light snowfall for a beautiful and unique ride through to Hydesville where we pulled up at Murrah Market and its wonderful overhangs just a rain squall started. Here we discovered belting showing through on one of the rear tires. The rain abated and we took off north up 101 for the Bayshore Inn at Eureka our regular haunt when we're in that area. While waiting to check in we discussed the tire situation and the clerk pointed out the Honda dealer right next door. As it was only 1630 we sent over a recon party. Next came the bike. Then the confirmation they had a set of Metzlers in the right size and the right equipment to do a BMW rear rim. They took the bike, gave us a great price, and said it would ready when they opened at 0900 the next morning. These guys went out of there way to help and the bike was ready as promised the next day. I can't think of shorter solution to a remote road problem. We all tried to buy something from them to show our appreciation but the pickins were slim for us BMW types in a Honda shop. Dinner and libations at Marie Callendar's a short walk across the parking lot put us in a jovial mood but before long we all hit the hay after an eventful day.

Saturday dawned to dry tarmac, mostly sunny skies, but a bit colder than the day before. After a full breakfast at the Bayshore and then picking up the bike with the new shoes we dallied up the coastline stopping first at the Big Red Barn where the resident Elk herd was bedded down and posing for photos. We proceeded to Orick where we checked out the redwood craft shops and then hit a local spot called the Palm Cafe for ample servings of homemade lunch fare. Sometime while we ate the west wind decided to come to town. As we headed south back towards Eureka a cold 40-45kt onshore crosswind developed. The sun was high in the sky but the temps kept dropping as we fought the SOB all the way home added a special portion of pucker power on the narrow roadway featuring water on both sides and oncoming motorhomes. We were back at the Bayshore by 1500 and made our plans for meeting the free festival shuttle at 1800 in front of the hotel. We also resolved to warm up body and sole by taking over the indoor jacuzzi and setting up our little tavern at a table nearby. I think most of us were pretty relaxed as we headed back to our rooms. Before long we were back together on the shuttle arriving at the Municipal Auditorium. The Redwood Coast Jazz Festival's big night was about to get underway and we were there in time for great food, adult beverages, and premier seats to hear the bands and watch the locals dance up a storm. This is a BIG DEAL in Eureka and many of the folks were in costume for the event. Why even a few EXR couples made it out to the dance floor. We were back at the Bayshore by midnight with not a pumpkin to be seen.

The sun came up full and unabstructed Sunday morning without a cloud in the sky. Even the west wind had moved on yet it was even colder than the day before. Our electrics were really getting a workout. After another nice breakfast we suited up and were headed south through the redwood forest. We made our traditional stop at the "One Log Cabin House" and its fine espresso bar. I thought I saw someone eating a corndog but it couldn't have been anyone from EXR. Our route rolled ever southward turning inland on Hwy 20 and stopping at the nice confines of the Robinson Rancheria for lunch. The good eats streak continued and there's a Starbucks inside for good measure. This was our final stop as a group so we said our personal good-byes and headed east. As each turn point came by we heard the respective riders sign off on the radio and as the last three bikes separated in Williams the last heartfelt adieu became a few crackles on the radio and that was all that remained of the EXR Rhythm in the Redwoods ride for 2008.

Bob Morrow #4204

Last edited by Tallyho; Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:04 pm.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the update Bob...

Sounds like everyone had a great time...So it snowed big deal

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 1:10 am Thread Starter

Lots of great memories, especially of the snow. It was perfect.

Looking forward to the Sequoia Kings Canyon Roadtrip in May! (SKR II)

www.expressoriders.org

Bob Morrow #4204
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:42 am

Most riders didn't mind the snow.... The only exception was the pillion with the broken powerlet plug on her electric vest.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:27 pm

If you are interested, the Expresso Riders have posted a short 15 min. video of the Rhythm in the Redwoods ride... It's kinda fun....

Rhythm Video

Just click the above link and then click the large blue box to play the video...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in