Quick Weekend Ride South... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Quick Weekend Ride South...

I though I might have a bit of a ride this weekend...what do you guys think of how this hits the high-spots for a trip south of the Bay area?

Any ideas....I don't mind riding further, I know the Santa Barbara area pretty well from prior travel.

Anyone want to come, leaving Saturday morning....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South of SanJose Run.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	15989  

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:03 am
Super Moderator

Not sure why the route cuts over 46 to 41 then back to 1. 46 is nice but not overly twisty, and while 41 is fun from 101 back to the coast it can get some heavy traffic at times on the weekends.But it should still be fun.

I have one suggestion. When you get to Cambria on Highway 1 drop into town and stop at Lynns in the East Village for some Olallieberry pie A La Mode; you will not regret it. Aaron Lynn runs the joint; tell him I said hello. After that treat head south out of town on Main street to Santa Rosa Creek Rd., and turn left on that for another treat. It's about 18 miles of twisty little road with no line in the middle through some nice countryside with little to no traffic; it's a fun and beautiful ride. It'll drop you on 46 about halfway between 1 and 101, just turn left and continue on the route.

Overall you're hitting a number of my favorites - 1, 58, 198, 25, and I hear 166 has some fun bits. Wish I could go, but I have some family stuff to do this weekend. Enjoy!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks David, I was just trying to cover all the spots with this circuitous route. Soon I'll be heading north and that will probably take up most of the rest of 2008 trying to cover everything....I have Destination Highways, NorCal, and I mean to hit most of these this year if possible.

Ralph

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
I though I might have a bit of a ride this weekend...what do you guys think of how this hits the high-spots for a trip south of the Bay area?

Any ideas....I don't mind riding further, I know the Santa Barbara area pretty well from prior travel.

Try Cholane Valley Road north from the Hwys 41/46 junction to Parkfield (quaint bar stop and earthquake capitol of Ca.). Then north/ west / south on Vineyard Canyon Road to Indian Valley Road (this is the south extension of Hwy 25).
Turn right and proceed north to Hwy 198/25 junction bypassing Avenal (unless you have a prision buddy) and Collinga.

Have no recent knowledge of posssible storm damage but these are narrow paved roads with no centerline and rough in spots. Did them a few years back on the LT with no worries.

Watch for sand and debri due to recent rains/wind on all the roads of your route.

Give us a ride report next week.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:39 am

Make sure you stop in Half Moon Bay tomorrow, Mavericks is on !

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Quote:

Looks like fun. I have taken 198 from Sequoia Kings Canyon all the way to 101, and the stretch from Coalinga to 101 is very entertaining. Over hill off camber turns, but an enforcement area so the cops... watch the speed.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas everyone...had a great ride, about 750 miles all up, over two absolutely beautiful days in January....almost like a NZ summer :-).

Here are some of the highlights:
1. A hotted up Jetta or Honda and I broke free of the pack along the 1 on Big Sur and had a pretty good 10 miles or so nose to tail running the corners.Two cops pulling over a victim sobered us up and we went our separate ways.
2. An interesting cutoff highlighted by David out of Cambria..Santa Rosa Creek Road...not great riding but very ineresting seeing back country as the locals must see it.
3. The 166/33/58 was less interesting than I had hoped, though Tina at the cafe in Maricopa was a character. Near the end of the 58 (near the 101) there is the 279 north. This is quite a different road, being a single lane varying from 1-2 lanes wide. 8 miles long. Very tortuous. I thought it was OK until I met a high-speed car coming the other way..now I would advise a fair bit of caution, though its still fun to ride briskly.
4. The best road in the entire trip I thought was the central 10 miles lengthof the 41 in the section between the 46 at the north and the 101 on the south. This was an great 10 miles of curvey road, ideal for the LT, worth the whole ride (I did it twice). If you can brave the blind crests, its a very fun road. Highly recommended.
5. Indian Valley Road (thanks Doug) was pretty lonely as well and though I over-cooked one corner from being too tired (cut short the riding not long after and hit the 101 home), its a pretty good road for something so close to home.

Overall, I thought it was a great intro to the area and really, who could ask for more on a relatively easy ride, close to two huge population centers. Thanks everyone.

Ralph

post #8 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:12 am

Quote:
Indian Valley Road (thanks Doug) was pretty lonely as well and though I over-cooked one corner from being too tired (cut short the riding not long after and hit the 101 home), its a pretty good road for something so close to home.
Sorry about that. Really like that road and usually take it all the way from Hollister south to the end when going to the Cambria ride.. Section from Hollister to 198 is wider with lane markings but still lonely (just the way I like em).

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Its a long time since I have run into the oncoming lane, not since an early day on the LT years ago. I knew I must have been buggered to make that mistake, so when I got to the 198, I didn't dogleg onto the 25 again, I just took it across to the 101 and headed for home. It was 4.30 anyway. Nice road the southern 25.

Ralph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in