Any Storm Damage? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Any Storm Damage?

The NorCal group is a little slow so let me ask; how did you all fair from the storm today? Five of my Italian Cypress trees are sideways and one actually knocked down part of the fence between my neighbor's house and my house.

I am not sure who to call to get the trees removed and the fence rebuilt but I am not going to worry about it today.

I hope you all escaped damage to your property.

Oh one more thing, this morning from the radio traffic report I heard there was an accident involving a motorcyclist in the Sacramento area. I found it hard to belive someone would ride in 60mph wind gusts. I hope she/he is okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Two of my neighbors trees fell on my driveway, blocking my rear garage. And same neighbors back fence went down, too. Power went out from 11:20 am to 1:15 pm. All is well with the driveway now. Had 5 guys here chain sawing, climbing, cutting, spliting and spitting. Real men doing a real job.

Thankfully I didn't have any route today. I would have cancelled all stops anyway. Just didn't want to go back to Santa Clara for a third straight day.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 8:31 pm

We are'nt affraid of 60 mph gusts are we Del, remember the Columbia Gorge?
I figure if you ride as fast as the gusts it equals either zero or doubles depending upon direction.

If you need help with fence and trees and can not come up with alternative, let me know. Maybe a couple of us HDDCer's can come by. Cypress can just be stood up and staked/tied and be good to go, no need to cut down.

My fence behind (south side) the barn looks drunk, leaning several directions like it could not decide which way to fall. Time for chainlink replacement.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 9:42 pm
BMW Guru

No damage here, my fences are all cinder block Did lose power for about 6 hours but no biggy...

Del let me know if I need to bring the chain saw over...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:20 pm

We lost power from just after 11:00 this morning until about 8:30 tonite in south San Jose. Saw lot 'o rain and some good gusty wind, but no damage. Glad everybody's OK up there.

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:21 pm

We escaped any damage. Some wind driven roof leakage, and some wind driven under and over door leakage though.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:54 pm
Super Moderator

We got off prettty much unscathed in my part of South San Jose. Lights flickered a few times but no outage. I drove around the neighborhood before dark and no trees down (at least out front). Lots of leaves, limbs, etc, and it was garbage pickup day so a few cans got toppled in the weather and made a mess. Water was standing everywhere, though, places I didn't know it could puddle up that deep. Overall my neck of the woods came through OK thankfully.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Bunch of branchs out of the OAK trees, along with a 20 foot section of fence.
Pine needles EVERY WHERE !!
Yard looks like a war zone ... Rural living at it's best

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 1:54 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Bunch of branchs out of the OAK trees..
My oak trees did get their usual "pruning" but that just saves me having to pay someone to do it

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
We are'nt affraid of 60 mph gusts are we Del, remember the Columbia Gorge?
I figure if you ride as fast as the gusts it equals either zero or doubles depending upon direction.

If you need help with fence and trees and can not come up with alternative, let me know. Maybe a couple of us HDDCer's can come by. Cypress can just be stood up and staked/tied and be good to go, no need to cut down.

My fence behind (south side) the barn looks drunk, leaning several directions like it could not decide which way to fall. Time for chainlink replacement.
Thanks Doug for the memory. The Coumbia Gorge for me was harder than the Dempster (well maybe not). As usual you just rode through with no concerns.

Thanks for the advice on the Cypress trees. Monday I will see what my options are. It sounds like Ted is anxious to use his chain saw
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 1:02 am
Senior Member (ret.)

back to normal here. Power outage (blown transformer) from about 11 am yesterday till 4 PM today.

Lots of candles lit, flashlights loaded and ready,, and 3 bath tubs full of water just in case.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 3:08 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Wow, some of you had a tough time with all the wind damage. Here in Lodi, I only lost two branches off of my pine tree.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #13 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 2:06 am
Old Dawg

It was about 75 degrees in Florida yesterday... apparently I miss a lot of action

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 2:08 am

Just got back on line ( who knows I have no idea where this comes from Kind of like the easter bunny - where is he the rest of the year? )

ANY WAY lots of Euci-pukis trees snapped off took out two dog pens )no dogs were harmed during the writing of this) missed my broken GS by inches on all sides - go figure .

the pond is full.

and I start an new class of minds full of mush tomorrow OH Yea !!

Just where do i apply for that Easter Bunny Job?

Chuck
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Just got back on line ( who knows I have no idea where this comes from Kind of like the easter bunny - where is he the rest of the year? )
Chuck
I think they went to Florida, and went on a cruise. So they missed the halficane here.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in