Short Winter Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Short Winter Ride

Renná and I departed our house a 7:30 am. It was a "crisp & cool" morning, of about 31 degrees. We live in the Sierra Foothiils.

We end up taking a short, meandering route, covering about 110 miles altogether through the valley & foothills. Was a balmy 42 when we returned home.

Discover that while warm for the most part, Renná needs electric socks; perhaps heated pants (electric vest was toasty). Renná also pledges to not leave home again when it's below freezing. I will get some heated gear, if we ever venture into colder weather - at freezing, I am still warm. I use Olympia Motosports gear, with Damart underwear.

Overall, Brian thought the ride was awesome! With proper gear, cold weather allows you to control your temperature. Plus, we saw only three others on bikes (one doesn't count, since he was a LEO, and "had" to be there) - giving us the added bonus of looking like "Crazy M*****F******"!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Renná and I departed our house a 7:30 am. It was a "crisp & cool" morning, of about 31 degrees. We live in the Sierra Foothiils.

We end up taking a short, meandering route, covering about 110 miles altogether through the valley & foothills. Was a balmy 42 when we returned home.
We took the GCDSR Poker Run today. Don't know how cold it was down here in the Pocket at 6:30 AM when I left, but I tell you that it was cold, and since the fuse blew I had no electrics. Thank God for layers!

We ended up in GeorgeTown, Auburn etc, after a start and finish at A & S, so we had a similar 100 + mile ride today too!

Considering the guys in the east have their bikes up on blocks, we are lucky!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
... Considering the guys in the east have their bikes up on blocks, we are lucky!
... but the guys in the SOUTHEAST were riding today in 73 deg. F, sunny weather.

To be honest, our average high temp this time of year is in the low 50s, so this is very unusual weather we're having. Supposed to be 78F tomorrow, breaking the all-time high temp for that day by 5 degrees. I'll be riding ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
... but the guys in the SOUTHEAST were riding today in 73 deg. F, sunny weather.
Yes, true, Florida perhaps. But if you've ever driven or rode in Florida... There are a high percentage of retiree's that perhaps should not still be driving if you know what I mean.

Makes the driving experience more "interesting".

Not that we have any shortage of bad drivers here mind you.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in