Engine Problems After Replacing Battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Engine Problems After Replacing Battery

For some unknown reason my bike sounds like its missing or starving for fuel. It will not idle right. I read in my manual to set the Motronics by turning the key on and not starting it but just opening the throttle a couple of times. I did this and no change. Im wondering if I pinched a hose or knocked something else out of whack when I changed out the battery. Any ideas?

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not all who wander are lost"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:59 pm

I have forgotten to reset the Motronic a few times and found that the engine will have a hard time idling. It will relearn the settings as you ride. Just keep the throttle partially open and take a 5 mile ride.

Otherwise, you can disconnect the battery again. When you reconnect the battery, turn on the key but don't start. Fully open and close the throttle. Repeat. Key off. Then start as normal.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #3 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I have forgotten to reset the Motronic a few times and found that the engine will have a hard time idling. It will relearn the settings as you ride. Just keep the throttle partially open and take a 5 mile ride.

Otherwise, you can disconnect the battery again. When you reconnect the battery, turn on the key but don't start. Fully open and close the throttle. Repeat. Key off. Then start as normal.
Brilliant advice there...make sure to follow it precisely.

There isn't anything (fuel lines, etc.) anywhere near the battery that you could have inadvertently pinched when you installed the new battery, unless there was something dreadfully wrong already, so disconnect the leads, follow the above, and ride the beast. Oh, and report back.

Feel free to email...

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

No luck as of yet. Im beginning to think it has something to do with the fuel and am looking to remedy that. Any more ideas?

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

post #5 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:27 pm

what exactly did you do, and did you do anything other than switch the battery?

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Battery was replaced. I attempted to reset Motronic in prescribed method. It will start but runs very rough and sounds like its starving for fuel and will not idle very well. I rode it a bit, not quite 5 miles and it did not change. I am going to try to work on it on Friday and if I dont have any luck I may just have to take it in. To further clarify the situation I had to remove retainer on gas tank to lift it up to remove the battery from housing and to replace. The fuel tank was open for several days in my garage but I really dont think any foreign matter got in but I may as well check the integrity of the fuel to elimanate that as a possible condition. Thanks for your help and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 8:04 pm

well, you can take the right side tupperware off and peek at the fuel lines underneath the fuel tank, it's possible that there's a kink in one of them...but not terribly likely if it'll run for you (even though it's rough). I'd still make that my first peek.

You say "it was open for a few days in my garage" which is not a good thing, my bet is something ended up inside, got sucked into your fuel filter (or, heaven forbid, your fuel pump if it made it past the filter) and it's causing issues.

If you're really aggressive, you can always remove both sides of tupperware, disconnect the fuel lines, remove the tank, drain it, get a strap wrench and remove the fuel pump on the bottom and inspect the pump and filter (and as long as you are there, replace the thing).

Or, you could siphon the majority of your remaining fuel, run a tank of Shell high octane (it has extra detergents that might just knock whatever crap is in there loose--worth a shot) through her and see if that does it.

good luck

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 8:37 pm

I'd get rid of the fuel... could be it's old and now that you left it open it's just not going to run

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Well shes back up n runing. What I did was remove all the tupperware again, wiggled every hose, wire and sensor I could find and disconnected the ground side of the battery. I then performed the 3rd reset of the Motronics, waited a couple of hours and then started it. She started and ran exactly like she always does which is good. Thanks for all your help and saving me from loading it up and taking it to a dealer. You guys are awesome!

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

post #10 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 10:20 pm

feel free to send payment (half of what your dealership would charge is fine) to my paypal acct!

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in