Back From Maine Jet Lag Report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Back From Maine Jet Lag Report

Left Sun nite the 18th from SFO and flew to Logan/Boston. Drove to Maine in Pontiac A6 25mpg to Dover-Foxcroft. Stopped in Eliot to take pictures of where I grew up 9-16 y.o. Monday was coldest day yet. Tuesday was snow day. Gone by weekend. Looked at work done to bro's log cabin. Walked property in 7 acre lot to find future log cabin site. Not too close to the ITS trail (snowmobile/atv) or the main road. Walked the 40 acre wetlands. Looked over the natural spring. Needs new deck and rail. The trail needs improvement to get back to the Black Stream.

Had Thanksgiving dinner in our old house circa 1850 where there have been 157 others. Of course the kitchen is new now. Had it redone in 1930. Sister now resides in the old place. Went to Moosehead Lake, 35 miles, had lunch on Lake in Greenville. Saw 2 moose, 6 dear and hundreds of wild turkey.

Got used to the weather. Not too bad. Need lots of coats and jackets and sweaters and gloves. Otherwise, perfect weather. Except when driving around at about 4:00pm. It's dark. Should be 5:00pm. Wrong time zone for us. A Mainer thing I think.

Visited nephew's (Scotty's) hot food stand in town. Ex chef and caterer from Chico. He makes the best fries in town. The way Chili's used to make them with skins left on. I noticed that everyone put's vinigar on them. What's with that?

Had more leftovers. Visited 90 year old Aunt Helen, prounced "ahnt" not "ant".
Spent the time talking olden days stuff and watching her new 40" Plasma.

Went to a Kawasaki Mule and then Polaris Ranger dealership in Newport. Met owner Kerry Coveside Polaris. We talked Rangers and ATV's and snowmobiles and then motorcycles for about an hour. He has a collection of vintage sleds and 65 motorcycles. Must check his vintage section. He said he has several old BMW's too. He doesn't show all. Insurance reasons I think.

Saw only a few motorcycles out in Maine. More though around Boston.

Left for Boston late Monday. Saw many more dear and wild turkey. Supposed to fly from Boston to San Francisco direct on Tuesday morning. Had to go to Vegas to refuel. Eight hours total in seat. Headwinds the whole way. Couldn't get JetBlue aircraft over 438 mph. Going back east the other day, we hit about 100 mph faster. A little over 5 hours. Not going back next year. Sister is coming in March. Brother and nephew in June.

Pictures to follow. I'll post the moose and turkey's and some scenery. You'll have to take my word on all the dear. Didn't snap a one of them.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Sounds like you enjoyed the Holiday.

When are we going to have an HDDC New England Tour?
Count me in.

Doug

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #3 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 6:27 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
When are we going to have an HDDC New England Tour?
Count me in.

Doug
Edee and I have talked about doing just that next year,

We're in!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 8:57 am

Roger

what a great report. I believe we would all like to know Just where your place is. how about an address so we can Google up a map or Google earth?

Thanks

Chuck
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Funny you should ask for the address Chuck. It seems that above Bangor and into Canada, you can't get too close. Turns to "there are no images at this altitude" kind of thing. The older Terraserver can get pretty close but the sat. image was done in 1996. I think I have another map/sat. view somewhere. I'll find it and post with some pictures. Thanks.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #6 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 2:53 pm

OK

Roger is in the CIA

Lets look at the facts:

He travels ;
Has no Known History;
never tell us when he is leaving just when he gets "back"

no one knows where he goes

But we all know he is a "Cleaner"

and now the worlds largest database of global pictures " is off limits"
and he is blaming it on Canada EH?

IF I outed you roger It wasent me.

Chuck
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Wink I was a cleaner once

About the closest to the CIA for me is Cleaning In Apartments.

In high school in the late sixties, the actor with my name played someone else before Bond in the seventies. They used to call me that nickname in school.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #8 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007

In high school in the late sixties, the actor with my name played someone else before Bond in the seventies. They used to call me that nickname in school.
Are you trying to tell us Roger that you were called "The Saint?"

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #9 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 7:35 pm

That was trick Hal to expose thoes of us who were borne before 1960

Chuck

OH roger to me you will always be a Saint
post #10 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 7:51 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
They used to call me that nickname in school.
Roger went to school????

Who knew????

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #11 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Very funny. I'll have you know I had my father as an 8th grade English teacher. He was the principal of the Jr. High School too. Doesn't that make me a Saint Hal? I even borrowed my dad's teachers handbook once and cheated on a science test where they trapped me and caught me cheating. I know I was in school THAT day Doug! And, if I'm being mysterious or stealthy Chuck, it's probably because I'm just protecting you. There really is no good map of Maine. They haven't found it yet.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #12 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 9:04 pm

[QUOTE=RMoore007]Very funny. I'll have you know I had my father as an 8th grade English teacher. He was the principal of the Jr. High School too. Doesn't that make me a Saint Hal? I even borrowed my dad's teachers handbook once and cheated on a science test where they trapped me and caught me cheating. I know I was in school THAT day Doug! And, if I'm being mysterious or stealthy Chuck, it's probably because I'm just protecting you. There really is no good map of Maine. They haven't found it yet.:

OH Roger !! your dad was the teacher and the principal Now that was punnishment enough.

Kind of wierd on Parent Teacher night though I expect. hard to hide the report card as well . as to not finding Maine I have always liked the idea of visiting and perhaps continuing on to the Marritimes. And Saint were you tking Sunday Off ? kind of slipped up on that <laugh>

Looking forward to seeing you all when I get to drive again. ( all my vheicles are sticks and it's my right side that has the oops. maybe by next Wed.
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Looking forward to seeing you all when I get to drive again. ( all my vheicles are sticks and it's my right side that has the oops. maybe by next Wed.
Be thinking of a place close to you, or maybe we can bring takeout to you.
You are getting 3 squares a day are'nt you?

Let me know if you need a Special Delivery of anything as you are only 20 minutes up the road.

Doug

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #14 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Let me know if you need a Special Delivery of anything as you are only 20 minutes up the road.

Doug

Doug thanks I will be driving by then since I have to go to the VA for a recheck and XRays Wed Morning.

And at my size I know how to intimidate students into getting me food.

Chuck
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:35 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:

Doug

Doug thanks I will be driving by then since I have to go to the VA for a recheck and XRays Wed Morning.

And at my size I know how to intimidate students into getting me food.

Chuck
We haven't been to Mel and Faye's in quite a while. Lets do that...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #16 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
We haven't been to Mel and Faye's in quite a while. Lets do that...
Didn't we just go there?

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #17 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Well no wonder he's 007....totally makes sense now

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #18 of 27 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:57 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Didn't we just go there?
We had BREAKFAST. We haven't been for dinner is a while

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #19 of 27 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 1:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Didn't we just go there?
Speak for yourself, some of us weren't even invited...

And Chuck, nobody let the "cat out of the bag", there are reruns you know. Maybe some of us didn't see them the first time...

Then again, maybe some of us did.....

Roger, I think you have another nickname now, besides "The Keeper of The List"...

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #20 of 27 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:11 am

Let Chuck pick location, Maybe some where on his route from the VA Hospital depending on timing?

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #21 of 27 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the thought Doug but I have a 10AM appointment so anyplace would be fine . IF too far out I wont make it but within 20 miles should be good-= make that 30 miles <laugh> since there isn't anyplace except Incoots within 15.

Chuck
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:36 pm

Quote:
since there isn't anyplace except Incahoots within 15.

Chuck
And what's wrong with Incahoots?

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #23 of 27 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 6:29 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
And what's wrong with Incahoots?

It's a great place, but we were there just a few weeks ago. I'll go back but I'd vote for Mel's if we're gonna do the votin' thang

Quote:
Speak for yourself, some of us weren't even invited...
Had you been at HDDC the night before when we made our plan you would have been...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #24 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:19 am

Quote:
It's a great place, but we were there just a few weeks ago. I'll go back but I'd vote for Mel's if we're gonna do the votin' thang

Had you been at HDDC the night before when we made our plan you would have been...

Yes dear...

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #25 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 9:40 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Yes dear...

That'll teach you to work overtime instead of having dinner with your friends

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #26 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 4:15 pm

Quote:
That'll teach you to work overtime instead of having dinner with your friends
What can I say, I work for a real asshole SOB...

(I'm self employed.)

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #27 of 27 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:30 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
What can I say, I work for a real asshole SOB...

(I'm self employed.)
Well who's fault is that?? LOL

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in