Rt 130, Lick Obs, San Jose area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Rt 130, Lick Obs, San Jose area

Does anyone know if the 130 which goes up and past the Lick Observatory is sealed all the way thru to Livermore. From looking at the map, after passing the Observatory, it eventually becomes Mines Road before finishing in Livermore.

A couple of us from work are taking a run at lunchtime today and this route at 107 miles looked pretty good, probably would be a 2 hour lunch though. Any suggestions otherwise...starting on McCarthy Blvd in Milpitas?

Current other ideas are:
1. Calaveras Road over to the the 84 and into Livermore on the 84. Return is 64 miles.
2. Lick Observatory and return being 59 miles.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 9:33 am

Yes it's paved up to Livermore but not always in the greatest shape. There's also a paved road about 1/2 up to livermore that spurs to I-5.
Becareful of tar snakes and gravel everywhere not to mention the CHP.....

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:00 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Does anyone know if the 130 which goes up and past the Lick Observatory is sealed all the way thru to Livermore. From looking at the map, after passing the Observatory, it eventually becomes Mines Road before finishing in Livermore.

A couple of us from work are taking a run at lunchtime today and this route at 107 miles looked pretty good, probably would be a 2 hour lunch though. Any suggestions otherwise...starting on McCarthy Blvd in Milpitas?

Current other ideas are:
1. Calaveras Road over to the the 84 and into Livermore on the 84. Return is 64 miles.
2. Lick Observatory and return being 59 miles.
THe road up to the observatory is in good shape and paved, but VERY twisty with lots of switchbacks. It's a slow ride up, but a fun one. Watch for gravel in the corners. From Lick out to Livermore is paved and in pretty good shape. I was up there a few months ago and it appeared they fixed the worst of the nast road surface, but there still are some spots to watch. Once you're off the mountain and start running the canyons it's in much better shape. Stop at The Junction for lunch!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 1:39 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Plus watch for all the squids that can't handle the road and end up in your lane. Hopefully that is better on a weekday.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #5 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Great ride

Quote:
Does anyone know if the 130 which goes up and past the Lick Observatory is sealed all the way thru to Livermore.
I just rode this route a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely paved the whole and in decent shape. There were a few patches of sand/dust on the West side of Mt Hamilton, probably from rain a few weeks ago, but they might be gone by now. There are also some spots on Mines Rd that are dusty and show signs of recent construction. Overall it's a great route though.

If you're only going one way I'd recommend starting in Livermore and going up the East side of Mt Hamilton. The East side turns aren't as tight and the road is in better shape, and I think it'd be more fun to carry the speed up there. I always slow down anyway when going down, so the tighter turns and crappier pavement on the East side won't be as annoying.

Here's a google map to the route I mean. The waypoint in the middle is a little bar and grill called The Junction, it's pretty much the only place to stop on this route, on weekends there are usually a few motorcycles and bicycles in the parking lot -- I've never been in. If you're actually thinking of eating lunch, this is pretty much your only option along the route.

Mines Rd to Lick Observatory

I haven't been on Calaveras Rd. into Livermore for a couple of years. It's a pretty narrow road with lots of twisties. If you're pressed for time I'd consider skipping it. 84 into Livermore is fine, but there's usually traffic. They're turning it into a major route, looks like it'll be divided 2 lanes each way all the way through when they're done. Right now there's just a lot of construction on the only twisty part of the road, right outside Livermore. Still worth taking, but don't expect much.

Of the roads you mentioned, Mines Rd and 130 up the East side of Mt Hamilton are the gems for a bigger bike. Calaveras and the West sids of Mt Hamilton would be more fun on a supermoto.

If you're looking for company for this lunch ride, let me know -- I'm in Mountain View but it's a quick ride on 237 over to where you are.

Last edited by bonafidebob; Oct 24th, 2007 at 2:50 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, all great info. We ended up going up to Lick. The round trip plus a good 20+ minutes at the top on a superb day made it 2 hours anyway. As I am an hourly worker, thats an expensive lunch! I liked the ride, a bit of gravel, but speeds were low enough that you had time to adjust for it.

I am looking forward to the run out Livermore on Mines Rd (or rather the other way). The road was effectively empty today midweek so......Bonefidebob, I'll give you a call on the next ride, probably in a couple of week. We may try the MtView side, run up Page Mill and along the main ridge. Is Alice's open during the week?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:05 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks everyone, all great info. We ended up going up to Lick. The round trip plus a good 20+ minutes at the top on a superb day made it 2 hours anyway. As I am an hourly worker, thats an expensive lunch! I liked the ride, a bit of gravel, but speeds were low enough that you had time to adjust for it.

I am looking forward to the run out Livermore on Mines Rd (or rather the other way). The road was effectively empty today midweek so......Bonefidebob, I'll give you a call on the next ride, probably in a couple of week. We may try the MtView side, run up Page Mill and along the main ridge. Is Alice's open during the week?
I believe Alice's is open every day. Don't forget to try 9 and 84 up and down, both sides! And keep me posted, you never know when I might be able to sneak out for a ride and actually meet you!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 7:52 am

May I suggest alternates for long lunch rides in the Mt. Hamilton area. I am using the Mckee Starbucks and the Capitol Starbucks only as start and end references. The reason I did that is because there is a very technical incline hairpin in Quimby road that would be quite challenging if you were to approach it from west to east (San Jose to Lick Observatory) but easy when reversed PLUS has a great view of the valley to boot. Hope you can open this garmin file. If not, I'll translate it to S&T.

Lunch options are:

JUNCTION (intersection of San Antonio Valley Rd and Del Puerto Canyon) for a realistic lunch ride.

Las Gaviotas (Patterson) for good Mexican food

Diablo Grande (located IN the clubhouse of the golf course). Decent lunch but the road going there is awesome!!!
Attached Files
File Type: gdb Hamilton-Patterson.gdb (114.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by DaFlake; Oct 26th, 2007 at 7:58 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in