Can-Am Spyder Test Drives 10/10 in Lodi - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Can-Am Spyder Test Drives 10/10 in Lodi

Marina Boat Sales
820 South Beckman Rd (Hwy 99 east frontage rd)
Lodi , Ca
209/3340661
916/4411475

Today from 10:00am to 5:00pm
20 Can-Am Spyder GS Roadsters available for test rides.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 3:23 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Marina Boat Sales
820 South Beckman Rd (Hwy 99 east frontage rd)
Lodi , Ca
209/3340661
916/4411475

Today from 10:00am to 5:00pm
20 Can-Am Spyder GS Roadsters available for test rides.
Are you gonna go ride one? I'd like to hear what you think about it...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #3 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
Are you gonna go ride one? I'd like to hear what you think about it...
Doug has a 4:00 pm appointment to test drive one....

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 6:45 pm

I have been lusting after this machine since I first saw their website. So, today I dropped by for a demo at about 2pm. After watching a video and getting a little group instruction, it was my turn.

I got on the thing and was immediately uncomfortable. It is just not ergonomicaly right for me. But I pressed on anyway. I rode the LT to the demo so I guess I was still in a countersteering mode because when I first accellerated I promptly drove it into the cones on the right. Very wierd to actually have to turn the handle bars in the direction you want to go.

In the process I picked up two cones that got jammed in the steering mechanism which made it even harder for me to turn. I continued with determination until I reached the second stop of the course. The instructor came over and removed the two cones. Now I was back to a normal steering vehicle. I immediately ran over another cone as I brought 'er home.

I was the last person in line so did not embarrass myself too badly. Conclusion, this is a pretty cool "bike" but not for me.

As I rode the LT back to Rocklin traffic got heavy and I split lanes. Oops, I would not be able to do that on the Can-Am because it is too wide. When I hit the car pool lane I jumped in. Oops again, the Spyder is not considered a motorcycle; you don't need an M1 license to drive it. You might get away with it but I am pretty sure technically it is a violation. A couple of times I gently touched my front brake and thought, hey the Syder does not have a right brake lever. The brakes are linked and only the brake pedal makes them work.

My lack of coordination and the totally wrong for me ergonomics sort of biased my opinion of the Spyder. I am sure I would have the same issues with a trike or even a scooter. On the other hand I am not ready to trade in two wheels for three.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 6:48 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell
I have been lusting after this machine since I first saw their website. So, today I dropped by for a demo at about 2pm. After watching a video and getting a little group instruction, it was my turn.

I got on the thing and was immediately uncomfortable. It is just not ergonomicaly right for me. But I pressed on anyway. I rode the LT to the demo so I guess I was still in a countersteering mode because when I first accellerated I promptly drove it into the cones on the right. Very wierd to actually have to turn the handle bars in the direction you want to go.

In the process I picked up two cones that got jammed in the steering mechanism which made it even harder for me to turn. I continued with determination until I reached the second stop of the course. The instructor came over and removed the two cones. Now I was back to a normal steering vehicle. I immediately ran over another cone as I brought 'er home.

I was the last person in line so did not embarrass myself too badly. Conclusion, this is a pretty cool "bike" but not for me.

As I rode the LT back to Rocklin traffic got heavy and I split lanes. Oops, I would not be able to do that on the Can-Am because it is too wide. When I hit the car pool lane I jumped in. Oops again, the Spyder is not considered a motorcycle; you don't need an M1 license to drive it. You might get away with it but I am pretty sure technically it is a violation. A couple of times I gently touched my front brake and thought, hey the Syder does not have a right brake lever. The brakes are linked and only the brake pedal makes them work.

My lack of coordination and the totally wrong for me ergonomics sort of biased my opinion of the Spyder. I am sure I would have the same issues with a trike or even a scooter. On the other hand I am not ready to trade in two wheels for three.
Thanks Dell. I wonder. If you don't need an M1, will you be allowed to ride it without a helmet???

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 7:31 pm

I think they're getting their next shipment in Feb. or March. Bruce's (Sharkey) wife put a deposit in months ago, and was supposed to get hers in October I believe, but it got pushed back.

The dealership (may have been another dealer, but I thought they said Lodi) only got 4 to sell for their October shipment I think they said, and Denise was #5 on the list.

I'd love to see one. Probably just wait until Denise gets hers.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Basically what Dell said, without the CONES.

If I did not know how to ride 2 wheels or did not want to risk tipovers, this would be another alternative to hack/trike set-up.

Nicely engineered and looks good. Slightly odd feeling but that would go away with time.

For now, I like to lean into the corners and laneshare to much.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Basically what Dell said, without the CONES.

If I did not know how to ride 2 wheels or did not want to risk tipovers, this would be another alternative to hack/trike set-up.

Nicely engineered and looks good. Slightly odd feeling but that would go away with time.

For now, I like to lean into the corners and laneshare to much.
Doug, what was your impression of the performance of the engine?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Technically, it is a 3 wheeled motorcycle, which is exempt from the M1 requirement by the CVC. Because it is under (I believe) 1500 lbs, it is a motorcycle, required a helmet, and is allowed in HOV lanes on the freeway. The vehicle code also exempts sidecar outfits from the M1 license requirement, too. When I bought the MP3's, I heavily researched that issue.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #10 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Doug, what was your impression of the performance of the engine?
Seemed slow to rev but had torque enough to bark the tire in 2nd.
Plenty of get up and go, only got up to 90mph.
Interesting concept, just not for me at this time.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:54 am

I think it would be easier to adapt to if you never rode a m/c or if you never plan to ride another m/c. I also think they should have put the brake on the handlebars not the foot or, if possible, both. I only sat on one and would still like to get a test ride. None came to Connecticut but there are several dealers to the north. Can't wait to see what saddlebags are offered, Givi?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #12 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Jennifer and I both rode them about three months ago here in Sac. Very cool concept, but not something I wood give up my motos for. We considered getting one for Jenn and to give Max rides on, but it's just not practical to have sitting in the garage.
I did enjoy it and thought it was cool. It does have the worlds best V-twin in it! (no bias there)

Dino

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in