Why German Engineers are not on my Chirstmas List - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Angry Why German Engineers are not on my Chirstmas List

I had started the Midnight Riders, AMA sponsored, “Political Tour” earlier this year. I got within three photos of being done, and put that tour aside for many other riding events — a Blue Knight convention, the Blue Butt Rally, and a SS2000.

With a month left to finish I figured I’d better get back to the Political Tour; it wasn’t really a very creative theme this year, but I’d gotten this far I might as well finish.

I had toyed with the idea of an overnighter to the southern end of the Gold Country. I considered a ride down 49 (AKA: the Little Dragon) to Coulterville, Mariposa, and then maybe through Yosemite to see the fall colors. There would be towns along the way I could use for the tour. But I opted to wait another week or so for that route, and see if Kay and I could get the time off together for a fall color trip. Instead, yesterday, I decided to do a day ride up around Lake County; there were three towns up there that would work for the tour as well, and I could get it wrapped up in one day.

I fired up the GT and take off up 121, to 128 to Knoxville-Berryessa; over to Pope Valley, through Butts Canyon, and into Middletown for lunch at Perry’s Deli. My plan from there was the get photos of the town limit signs for the city of Clearlake, Clearlake Oaks, and Capella. After which I’d take 101 south to 128, and cruise on home. However, I was soon to discover that my best-laid plans were at the mercy of German engineers.

On SR 53, at the south city limits of Clearlake, there is a wide asphalt shoulder. I pulled off a good 10 feet from the travel lane. As I was soon to find out I’m glad I did. I turn off the bike, got my camera and rally flag out, got the photo of the city limit sign, and put everything away.

I saddle back up, turn on the ignition …

CHECK EWS

Crap. I take the key out, wait, and try again.

CHECK EWS

I yelled at the bike, “This is the same key I’ve been using for 6,000 miles!”

I tried again, the bike’s only response was — CHECK EWS.

I called Ted in the hopes that he knew the super secret BMW incantation to re-set the ignition. And you know what? He didn’t.

Fisher Towing was there in less than 30 minutes after my call to BMW Roadside Assistance. The boss came out in his pick-up and assisted in working out the details. The closest dealer, Santa Rosa BMW (actually now in Windsor) wouldn’t be open until Tuesday morning. They’d load the bike on a flatbed, drop me at a hotel, pick me up in the morning, and take the bike and me to Windsor. BMW Roadside would only pay for a tow to the nearest dealer. I’d have to pay out of pocket to get it back to Napa — at $6 per mile. Then I’d still have to work out something to get the GT back to Santa Rosa, or A&S. The hotel idea was a lot cheaper, and this ride really could have been an overnighter, so what the heck.

The flatbed driver, Marty, did an excellent job of loading the bike — he used my tie down loops that I always carry, and his heavy duty, ratchet tie down straps, and a good front wheel brace. The bike was solidly on the flatbed. He dropped me a the Best Western in Clearlake, got my cell number, and said he’d call in the morning before he came to pick me up.

I walk inside; the hotel is decent place, a restaurant and lounge on-site. Cool. But at the counter I’m told they are booked. On a Monday, in October, here in Podunk, Lake Co., and they’re booked. I wondered if German engineers owned the place.

With Kay out of town, I called my Dad, he’s getting up there in years, and I hate to have him drive too far, but he was there in less than two hours with no problems.

I got up this morning, talked to Marty on the phone. I told him I would meet him at the dealership. I drove to Windsor, and I got there just as Marty had unloaded the GT. Dennis, the owner of Santa Rosa BMW, suspected the antenna ring was the problem. One of his techs will get on it, and they’ll call. So, depending on what Santa Rosa finds, it might be the little GS for me this weekend.

If there are any German engineers at Manchester this weekend, I’m going to TP their campsite.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
If there are any German engineers at Manchester this weekend, I’m going to TP their campsite.
I think you'll find Mike Ivie (from RCB) right along with you as his GT did the exact same thing last week.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:50 pm

Sounds like you had a fairly good interaction with BMW Roadside Assistance. When we had an RT stop running 25 miles east of Lee Vining on Hwy120 a few weeks ago they talked a good game on the phone but the tow arrived in five hours instead of the promised 90 minutes. This, even after speaking directly to the tow truck driver with specific directions and landmarks. Ironically, we sat in a little coffee shop in Lee Vining directly across from a service station with three idle tow trucks. RA "had" to use a tow operator from Bishop. Later we discovered RA only pays up to $500 per incident. Getting it back to Modesto or taking it to Sierra in Reno would be an extra $300 out of pocket.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
we discovered RA only pays up to $500 per incident.
Same in this case -- Santa Rosa was within the $500 radius. And the tow company was based in Clearlake.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:45 pm

Not to rag too much on this but we left the bike on the highway in an area miles and miles of similar terrain. Then rode into Lee Vining where we could get a cell signal. Thinking ahead, we were completely prepared to give the tow company the GPS coordinates of the bike and meet him there but guess what?

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:43 pm

ok, tell me what time to be there, Sudwerk in Davis it is.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 8:49 pm

I hate to cheer you guys up, but being the proud owner of a couple of Harley I belong to H.O.G. and opted for the "upgrade" for their towing package through Road America. $19.95 extra a year. What with Harleys, I figured I needed all the help I could get.

Last winter my wife and I were in Big Bear looking at the choppers. We stayed all night and in the morning started the bike to a God awful noise coming from the front of the motor. The stator had frozen to the rotor. I hot wired it, removed fuses and limped 80 miles into Riverside to the Harley dealer.

We spent two nights in a great hotel, had two 5 star meals, rented a pickup, etc. About 5 weeks later I decided to bundle up my receipts and mail them to Road America with a letter that I didn't expect them to cover the extravagant meals and hotel.

4 weeks later a check arrived unceremoniously in the mail. $954. That was more than the receipts totaled and all I can figure is they paid what it would have been to tow the bike to Riverside. The package covers the towing of your Harley to the nearest Harley dealer as well as meals, and lodging.

Pretty great if I do say so.

PS for $49.95 it will cover any bike and your cars.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in