Help with route to/from CCR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Help with route to/from CCR

Hey gang

I am off to CCR in a few weeks. Unfortunately I need to slab it most of the way. I will however take the southern route (the 40) out there and the northern route (the 70) home. For the sake of this discussion leets say I am going out on the 40 and back on the 70.

Questions about the southern (40) route on the way to CCR
1. The map shows the best way as down the 5, get off for Bakersfield, across on the 58 to Barstow and onto the 40. Is the 58 a road that you can keep up a decent speed on?
2. Do you advise a better way of getting onto the 40?
I am trying to do the run in 2 days (as I can't leave until early Monday morning) so I am after the fastest route.

Questions about the northern (70) route on way back from CCR
Lets say we have got to Ely on the 50 in Nevada. I know the rest of the 50 route as I just did it 2 weeks ago on the way across from Philly.
1. Is the fastest way to continue on the 50 to Reno and then down on the interstates?
2. Is this a reasonable (fast) alternate route from Ely:
6W to Warm SPrings
6W to Benton
120/105 W
to..5/580
....can you comment on which would be faster?

BTW I am taking 3 days on the way back.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Hey Ralph, 58 is the quickest route. With the exception of a little congestion around Bakersfield, it's smooth sailing. The ride through the Tehachapi mountains is very nice. There's a great temptation to speed through the mountains there, but be aware it's heavily patrolled. Once you get out of the mountain range, you can go as fast as you want for hundreds of miles.

If you ever have more time to kill, Route 178 past Lake Isabella is a fantastic alternative to 58. Great pavement, scenery and endless twisties.

You will of course be riding through Kingman on your way out, so plan on a meal and maybe a night a Chez Joel. Don't make me throw the tack strips out.

-joel
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Joel

I am going out on the 80 thru Reno, SLC and Wyoming. Leeaving early Monday morning 8/27, trying to do it in 2 days. Coming back via your neck of the woods in 3 days, how about Sunday 9/2 afternoon/evening. May take you up on the offer of a mattress. Email coming this week. Thanks for the offer, looking forward to it.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 5:05 pm

Eating Suggestion

Ralph,

If you're still going to be on I-80 around a little town called Ogallala, Nebraska, a couple of years ago a friend of mine and I stumbled onto a small restaurant just North of the interstate called "Hoke's Cafe." If it hasn't changed, a really good mom & pop place with good food and price. And biker friendly. Riley, the cook is a bike nut, leaning towards Harleys, but still an OK guy. Parking lots on both sides of the building are gravel, so they encourage you to drive your bike up on the sidewalk under the front awning to park while eating. They have small signs "BIKERS PARKING" just below the front windows.

Well worth the stop there for good eats, at least it was 2 years ago.

IF I inserted the photo correctly, this is what the front of the cafe looks like. There's some other pictures inside the place at this website.
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/John/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img]

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Try again

Maybe this time it'll go through.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Hokes Cafe.bmp (1.76 MB, 29 views)

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Joel

I am going out on the 80 thru Reno, SLC and Wyoming. Leeaving early Monday morning 8/27, trying to do it in 2 days. Coming back via your neck of the woods in 3 days, how about Sunday 9/2 afternoon/evening. May take you up on the offer of a mattress. Email coming this week. Thanks for the offer, looking forward to it.
Cool! We've got you on the calendar and will look forward to it. Have a great trip and CCR. See you then!

-joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in