Lane Splitting - general onroad rules - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Lane Splitting - general onroad rules

Last time I did lane splitting was in 1st year university on a Suzuki 120 (4 down) in Sydney some 35 years ago......started again this week on the ride from Mountain View to Milpitas on El Camino and the 237. Its GREAT, makes riding in the city fun again. I just wanted some practical guidance on a few things.....note that I don't have my CA license yet (arrived Friday arvo) so may miss a few things which are obvious to youse guys and gals:

1. I think in general that lane splitting is really legal lane sharing, its not legal lane changing without signals...right?

2. I ask this because the first thing that I do is when the cars are staggered a bit with the one in front being just enough ahead of the one beside me, I squeeze thru the narrow gap into the next lane.....I assume when I do this I should strictly have the indicator on as its a lane change.....right?

3. When there is a big gap between the cars in adjoining lanes and I lane split, its OK when going down the "tunnel" to use the spare space in both lanes if the alignment of the cars forces you one way slightly or the other, and I wouldn't have to use an indicator when I drifted into the other lane momentarily or even for a while...right?

4. When cars are moving I can see lane splitting as OK. What happens when cars are stopped:
a. On the freeway, it seems reasonable to lane split still....right?
b. On surface streets, stopped at a red light and I am 20 cars back....what about then? If I do it, do I ride to the front of the queue or stop a car or two back?
c. On surface streets on a right turn....the right turn lane is often wide in CA and if there is a lineup of cars some turning right, some not, what is allowed...can I squeeze down to the head of the queue and be the first to turn right when the lights change? This is different to b. above which is between lanes when travelling straight ahead still.

5. Whan coming off the 237 yesterday onto McCarthy, the right turn lane had about 40 cars in it stopped at the red light. With each change of light about 10 cars went thru. I had to turn right. Now the lane markings were solid line between the lanes for the first ?5? cars back from the stop line, then broken lines. Also, the lane was very wide with at least 6-8 feet on the left of the lane as the cars naturally drifted right. Whether the lane beside this right-turning lane is full or not, would it be deemed reasonable to lane split down on this stopped line of traffic? NOTE: This most right lane was also marked with a right turn + straight ahead arrow...so, in answering the above, put aside the commonsense question of if I should do it or not....:-). The reason I ask this was because the middle lane was empty and its infuriating for drivers (me) when some dude gets on the end of the 40 cars, decides not to wait, drives down the middle lane then barges into the right lane.

Thats it so far folks....I am looking for answers where it uses the lane splitting capability fully, but doesn't reasonably raise the ire of drivers (some of course will always get antsy) or a following motorcycle cop.

I notice many drivers pull over for you...how nice, also many race ahead to close gaps when they see you in the mirror...now thats more what I am used to!

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
I notice many drivers pull over for you...how nice, also many race ahead to close gaps when they see you in the mirror...now thats more what I am used to!
Bout two years ago, I was on my way to a client's site in my cage... Got bogged in traffic... had about four or five guys split the lane... I have NP with this. But someone about three cars up in the adjacent lane had a hard on for these guys. I got into that time slow down mode cause I could see the irritation on his face and sure enough, the door popped open just as a GXR was coming thru the tube.

Basically I don't split unless it's at a stop light and I am close to the front of the group.

Some of these cagers in CA are trying very hard to kill M/C riders... be very, very careful!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:51 am

Lane Splitting

I have no problem with the concept of lane splitting. That said, I think the riders that lane split at 50 mph and above in moving traffic are missing a few brain cells. In my car I've almost hit one or two because I was moving over a lane and they popped up out of no where. Personally, I'll lane split when traffic is stopped in front of me and I'm riding alone. I figure any accidents or contact that might occur would be relatively minor, my fault or the cars. But, I'm sure someone can come up with reasons why my views are off base, each to their own......by the way, if you lane split at excess speed, compared to traffic flow, you could be cited and falling to use your turn signals could also get you cited. If you contact a stopped vehicle while lane splitting it will almost certainly place you at fault for the accident.

Last edited by frankmc; Aug 8th, 2007 at 9:58 am. Reason: addition

post #4 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Frank

Your answer surprised me....putting aside the opinions on lane splitting yes/no.....

1. So at a stop light you DO move to the front of the queue.
2. You use the indicator when lane splitting (as opposed to lane changing) - I am surprised. Is this indicator use because you don't lane split much?

Ralph

post #5 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:06 am

Lane Splitting

At a stop light I don't generally lane split. If traffic is backed up due to accident or other problem I'll lane split until traffic begins to move and then jump back into line. That's only my personal view, I'm just not comfortable passing moving cars while lane splitting, don't trust em!
post #6 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:22 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Last time I did lane splitting was in 1st year university on a Suzuki 120 (4 down) in Sydney some 35 years ago......started again this week on the ride from Mountain View to Milpitas on El Camino and the 237. Its GREAT, makes riding in the city fun again. I just wanted some practical guidance on a few things.....note that I don't have my CA license yet (arrived Friday arvo) so may miss a few things which are obvious to youse guys and gals:

1. I think in general that lane splitting is really legal lane sharing, its not legal lane changing without signals...right?

2. I ask this because the first thing that I do is when the cars are staggered a bit with the one in front being just enough ahead of the one beside me, I squeeze thru the narrow gap into the next lane.....I assume when I do this I should strictly have the indicator on as its a lane change.....right?

3. When there is a big gap between the cars in adjoining lanes and I lane split, its OK when going down the "tunnel" to use the spare space in both lanes if the alignment of the cars forces you one way slightly or the other, and I wouldn't have to use an indicator when I drifted into the other lane momentarily or even for a while...right?

4. When cars are moving I can see lane splitting as OK. What happens when cars are stopped:
b. On surface streets, stopped at a red light and I am 20 cars back....what about then? If I do it, do I ride to the front of the queue or stop a car or two back?
c. On surface streets on a right turn....the right turn lane is often wide in CA and if there is a lineup of cars some turning right, some not, what is allowed...can I squeeze down to the head of the queue and be the first to turn right when the lights change? This is different to b. above which is between lanes when travelling straight ahead still.

5. Whan coming off the 237 yesterday onto McCarthy, the right turn lane had about 40 cars in it stopped at the red light. With each change of light about 10 cars went thru. I had to turn right. Now the lane markings were solid line between the lanes for the first ?5? cars back from the stop line, then broken lines. Also, the lane was very wide with at least 6-8 feet on the left of the lane as the cars naturally drifted right. Whether the lane beside this right-turning lane is full or not, would it be deemed reasonable to lane split down on this stopped line of traffic? NOTE: This most right lane was also marked with a right turn + straight ahead arrow...so, in answering the above, put aside the commonsense question of if I should do it or not....:-). The reason I ask this was because the middle lane was empty and its infuriating for drivers (me) when some dude gets on the end of the 40 cars, decides not to wait, drives down the middle lane then barges into the right lane.

Thats it so far folks....I am looking for answers where it uses the lane splitting capability fully, but doesn't reasonably raise the ire of drivers (some of course will always get antsy) or a following motorcycle cop.

I don't use signals when splitting, I think it would confuse the cagers even more. I do turn on all the lights on the front of the bike (of which there are plenty) as that increases my visibility. Also, if someone moves over to give me more space I give them a little wave of thanks, build up that good will where we can, ya know!

On surface streets if traffic is stopped anywhere and I can get through to the front I do. The road markings aren't that important to me since I try to be sane when I'm moving up through stopped traffic. Just don't go up the right hand side of the right lane, as that's riding on the shoulder and you can get ticketed for that.

On freeways lane splitting is a neccesity around here. The top speed as to where you stop splitting is a comfort/feel thing. I tend to split up to around 40-45 in lines of traffic on the freeway. If I do come up on the inevitable "stupid pair" (2 cars side by side doing 50-60 with a 1/2 mile of empty road in front of them) I'll split them, as they are already proving they don't have a clue and will likely crush someone before they get home.

Your McCarthy Ranch scenario -I worked off that exit for almost 3 years, and the lights are poorly timed, but the roadway is wide and the trafice tends to move like cattle (not alot of darting in and out). My advice - if there's space to safely use to get you where you want to go, use it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:40 pm

My wife was stopped two years ago by the CHP on E/B 580 while in route home for lane spliting.

He indicated the reason he stopped her was that she was splitting lanes above the flow of traffic, but still under the posted speed limit, what ever that means.

I think the real reason was that he could not keep up with her doing the lane splitting as her bike at that time was slimmer than his and when finally caught her and saw he had been beat by a woman, he figured a warning was easier to explain than a written document of the event he may have to explain later.

It does not answer your question, but a fun story none the less.

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #8 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:49 pm

David about covered it all; I would agree with him 100 percent. I think the most important thing is your comfort level and staying within it. An LEO can cite you for many different things if he feels you are splitting lanes unsafely - too fast for conditions, unsafe lane change, reckless operation, etc, depends on how bad his day has been. You should also realize that should you have an accident with a vehicle while lane splitting it will often be your fault because the slower vehicle has established his position and it is up to you to avoid him. Anyway, enjoy the lane splitting now you are here in CA, it's the only way to get around.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:01 pm

I split semi's all the time on the xway going up the mountain sides. Why not? I trust truck driver's way more than cagers (I don't split on the LTC, this is on my K12S). And its fun too, just watch out for high winds! (don't ask)

I split on the xway if I'm getting tailgated in a bad way, at any speed. If I'm moving at about 50 I'm good with that and typically dont' split, although I get biker's flying by me at times. What a most excellent way to dump the asshats who like to read my plate up close.

I'm not gonna say use common sense 'cause I might not be totally qualified to give that advice, according to some

It takes some time to get used to it. Cager's are overall, pretty good about it out thisaways.

Last friday, I think everyone in socal was headed up the 91 & I-15 xways, slow moving parking lot the whole way, I dont' know if I've ever seen that big of a line of traffic.

I'm splittin along about 40-50 mph and passed this Ford GT with canadian plates (my favorite all time car even when I was a small lad, had the model to prove it)....I think they run about a 1/2 mil or so, I'm oggling the car while tightening up thinking about the bill I'd get if I scratch that thing, get by and daym, 2 cars up is a bootiful rolls royce!! yikes!! I think he was more worried than me from the looks on his face!

Thats when splitting gets scary to me, passing high-dollar mobiles
post #10 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Interesting

Just today a Santa Cruz LEO on an HD leaned over to me at a light and thanked me me for letting him by while lane spitting Several Months ago when he was in a hurry. Long memory or unusual to let a faster rider by? Whatever, i'm a bit on the cautious side as replacing smashed mirrors is not favorite expense.
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Ted

A CA police officer told me in 1986, when splitting, never go 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic, and never exceed 35 mph.

This makes sense for both safety and courtesy. (if traffic is stopped, splitting at 35 mph would basically be reckless - need to give the cages a chance to see you).

I have followed this for the last 21 years (I have exceeded the 35 mph cap on occasion, but by not by tooo much!) and have not had any problems (have lane split past police vehicles and/or followed motorcycle officers). I have had a few a**holes "narrow the gap" purposely, but not really an issue when travelling just slightly faster then they are.

Also, this may go without saying, but instead of watching the vehicles, watch their tires in relation to the lane divider. For me, it is easier/quicker to perceive the gap between the tire and the lane divider narrowing as a signal that the car is about to change lanes. I do this in my car as well.

Hope this helps!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
He indicated the reason he stopped her was that she was splitting lanes above the flow of traffic, but still under the posted speed limit, what ever that means.
I posted to the original poster before reading your post. It may have to do with this:

A CA police officer told me in 1986, when splitting, never go 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic, and never exceed 35 mph.

Probably means she was driving too fast through a narrow opening, such as the speed limit was 55, flow of traffic was 20, and she was doing 40, or something to that effect!

Am I close??

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 21 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:42 am

The whole reason for motorcycles being allowed to "lane share" with autos was to keep air cooled engines from overheating back in the day--At least that's the story I was told when I rode "motors for S.F.P.D. The idea of lane sharing was for the motorcycle to keep moving when traffic was at or near a dead stop.

The intention of lane splitting aka lane sharing was not to allow motorcycles to split lanes at high speed, when traffic was moving at above 25 mph. I was also told that the reasonable speed for lane splitting was 15 mph above the stopped or crawling traffic e.g. If the traffic is moving on the freeway at 20 mph, a reasonable speed to lane split was 30 mph. If the traffic was at a dead stop, then, the reasonable speed was 15 mph.

At any rate, that was what I was instructed back in 1979, when I was riding for a living. Here's another gem of knowledge:

Though lane sharing is legal if an accident occurs, the party lane splitting will be deemed "At Fault". Now, my info may be way dated; so, you peace officers out there chime-in if your understanding of lane sharing has been updated from mine!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #14 of 21 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Bout two years ago, I was on my way to a client's site in my cage... Got bogged in traffic... had about four or five guys split the lane... I have NP with this. But someone about three cars up in the adjacent lane had a hard on for these guys. I got into that time slow down mode cause I could see the irritation on his face and sure enough, the door popped open just as a GXR was coming thru the tube.

Basically I don't split unless it's at a stop light and I am close to the front of the group.

Some of these cagers in CA are trying very hard to kill M/C riders... be very, very careful!
In defense of cagers, it's easy to remember the jerks, and easy to forget the considerate ones. While lane splitting, which I do occasionally, more often than not, if people do anything they try and give me more room. Sometimes, you come across someone who feels that if they're stuck in traffic, you should be too. That's just how some people think, but I believe it's the minority.

In south Orange county, some of the car pool lanes have 2 pairs of yellow stripes, with a gap in between. It's a nice, safe place to ride, but illegal of course. Some of us call it the motorcycle lane. Of course, when a motorcop comes along we tend to "exit" the motorcycle lane. They probably aren't aware of it's intended purpose.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Sometimes, you come across someone who feels that if they're stuck in traffic, you should be too. That's just how some people think, but I believe it's the minority.
In CA that's a minority of folks, but in other places it's a majority. When people from other states tell me it's dangerous and just plain unfair to lane split, I try and explain that many cars will slide over slightly to make room so it generally works pretty well but they just don't seem to get the whole concept. Different attitudes and experiences, I guess.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 3:47 pm

General Rule: Lane splitting on a Gold Wing is not fun.

Nathan and I were returning from the Forest Hill Area after a ride yesterday and the West bound 80 traffic through Rocklin to the Lincoln split was at its usual crawl.

So the choice is sit there and fry in the sun, while the cooling fans work overtime, or split the lanes.

So I split the lanes.

I have decided that "you have more room than you think you do, until you have less room than you think you do". How is that for profound.

I didn't hit anything, and nothing hit me and made it through with the normal assortment of drivers who let you by, the ones who aren't paying attention, and the ones who won't let you by and encroach on the lane.

We need a dedicated motorcycle lane.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
We need a dedicated motorcycle lane.
HELL YA!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #18 of 21 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Ralph,

Lane splitting is a very personal interaction between the rider and society demanding the best judgement of the rider as to what is appropriate, not merely legal.

Every once in awhile you'll come up on a CHP motorcycle lane splitting....more likely they'll come up behind you, so check your mirrors regularly when splitting....let them lead you through the process.

Quote:
You are correct about "sharing". There is no legal limit on how many vehicles can occupy a lane in California. As such, it is okay for two vehicles, motorcycles, to travel side by side in a lane.

If you have to weave substantially from one lane to another to thread through traffic, then you are changing lanes and could be cited for lack of use of a turn signal. However, in the real world, don't bother signalling. Spend your attention "bandwidth" on anticipating what cager's are going to do.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Right.

Quote:
Right.
Quote:
IMO, always try to get to the front of the line without blocking the crosswalk. You should try to get a few feet in front of the cars on each side. It is a psychological thing. If you are in front they see it and will let you go first. Always be careful to plant your feet close to the bike and not spread out too far. Cars and trucks are...heavy

If one of the cars has stopped short of the limit line, then swerve into they lane in front of them. This let's you have the lane, keeps them behind you, gives space for other m/c to join you in front of the line.

Always make sure you are alert and ready to take off the moment the light is green... be looking at oncoming traffic that is supposed to stop to confirm it is stopping....start moving and confirm that traffic from the opposite side is stopped as well. Done properly, you will be safely across the intersection before the cars have crossed the first 20'.

Quote:
This is touchy. If you do this, you'll be blocking the sight lines of a car that is already at the front of the line. They won't be happy about you doing this. Better to slide up to a gap and "change lanes" into line or you can stop a few cars back inbetween the front and rear of the cars. When they move attempt to slide into the space. Eye contact and hand gestures are always okay to communicate what you'd like to do.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the exit you're referring to. I would comment that cager's understand that m/c will not impact their commute time when going to the front of the line. Just do it in a respectful manner and move along to get out of their way.

In short, you try not to "piss off" a cager, but if you unknowing did so, then you want to be moving through traffic and away from them so they never get the opportunity to do anything stupid.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bill

So, that leaves two remaining questions.

Qu 6: To clarify the last point in my original post.......
1. Three lanes in my direction coming to an intersection.
2. Left lane marked with left arrow on roadway to turn left. This lane has no cars in it.
3. Middle lane marked with straight arrow on roadway. This lane has no cars in it.
4. Right lane marked with right arrow on roadway to turn right. This lane as 20 cars in it and you are on the end.

a. Do you think lane splitting general practice would allow you to drive up the center lane and when close to the head of the queue, pull into the right lane and "lane-split" so you end up beside, on the left-hand side, the 1st car in the right hand lane?
b. Would you do it anyway?

Qu 7 There are lots of instances where the exit off a freeway is a tight corkscrew turn to get back onto the overpass. This is usually a single lane. I have seen numerous instances of the traffic on this being extremely slow or stopped and a bike slowly going up the inside of the single string of cars. What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Ralph

post #20 of 21 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
2. Left lane marked with left arrow on roadway to turn left. This lane has no cars in it.
3. Middle lane marked with straight arrow on roadway. This lane has no cars in it.
4. Right lane marked with right arrow on roadway to turn right. This lane as 20 cars in it and you are on the end.

a. Do you think lane splitting general practice would allow you to drive up the center lane and when close to the head of the queue, pull into the right lane and "lane-split" so you end up beside, on the left-hand side, the 1st car in the right hand lane?
I'm not an expert on road rules, though I did get a ticket once I would recommend that you stay on the left side of the right turn lane, i.e. sharing the right lane with cars in the queue. If you have to cross over into the right side of the center lane to get around a car, do it...but briefly. You want to minimize the lane change issues.

Quote:
b. Would you do it anyway?
Absolutely. But I would be very conservative about the speed I passed them at. I would try hard to stay in the right lane, on the left side, and I would try to merge into the line as gracefully as possible.

Quote:
Qu 7 There are lots of instances where the exit off a freeway is a tight corkscrew turn to get back onto the overpass. This is usually a single lane. I have seen numerous instances of the traffic on this being extremely slow or stopped and a bike slowly going up the inside of the single string of cars. What are your thoughts?
I would do it. Stay on the left side of the cars.....never pass on the right side of the right lane. Common sense would say that both side of the lane should be fair game, however "passing on the right" is a no-no. Be cool and do it safely, calmly and without making the cagers anxious. If you do it that way, it's unlikely that an LEO is going to cite you.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #21 of 21 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Thanks Bill

So, that leaves two remaining questions.

Turning Upon a Highway

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as follows:

(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:

(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

(2) If a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in this subdivision and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning movement.

(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle and, when turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered, except that upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in