Broken in Sturgis - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Broken in Sturgis

Final drive failure in Sturgis. I'm gonna try to rent a U Haul and drive down to Loveland to get it fixed. Any ideas?

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not all who wander are lost"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:36 pm

There's a BMW shop in Sturgis.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Premium Vendor

Sturgis Yamaha BMW Suzuki
2879 Vanocker Canyon Rd
Sturgis, SD 57785-2751
Phone: (605) 347-2636

Good Luck.

Tony 05

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:39 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg209
Final drive failure in Sturgis. I'm gonna try to rent a U Haul and drive down to Loveland to get it fixed. Any ideas?

I ordered a final drive for a customer on Sat afternoon and got it 1st thing this morning. If you can get the dealer to order it tomorrow AM you could be back on the road Fri afternoon...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:36 pm
Super Moderator

There's a dealer in Sturgis, I've been there, good people. They should be albe to take care of you.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately they are so busy I was told that they cannot even begin to think of seeing me until next week. The Service Manager related to me that it would be far more beneficial for them to help out 4 individuals rather than tying up shop space for one individual. I was told to go to Loveland by
Sturgis BMW. Im hoping Loveland will overnite the parts if I give them a heads up in the morning. Second rear drive failure in 25k. Im not sure I can or want to deal with this anymore. Might be another disturbance in the force soon.

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:08 am

Angry

I've got a Harley FOR SALE.

Bummer, Drive failure not something I worry about but it happens, just like chains/ belts break and sprockets wear. Probably will be pissed if/when it happens to me. Been considering picking up a spare to carry.

U-Haul sounds like best bet, maybe oneway to Lodi and deal with it here or leave it, fly/drive home and have it shipped or go get it later. Just thinking out loud, good luck.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #8 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:48 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Marc:

My friend John Paradies is in Sturgis attending the activities. I believe his group has a chase vehicle with trailer. Let me know if you need their help, and I can try to get a hold of him.

I'll PM you his number just in case.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:36 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Update

Looks like Marc made contact with my friend John. Hopefully on their way back from Stewart, they'll pick up Marc's bike and take it to Loveland or haul it back to California depends on what the chase vehicle owner is willing to do.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help Raffy. I met Big John and he said we would pick me up on Saturday. I took another chance and spoke with Sturgis BMW and they agreed to order the parts today and install it tomorrow morning. The only catch is they are insisting that I replace the entire final drive at an approximate cost of $1200. The rationale is that it failed twice already and might be beyond reasonably fixing. I agreed to the price and hope I can continue this ride. My partner left for home this morning so Im gonna cruise alone. Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

post #11 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:37 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

You owe me not. Glad it worked out and sorry for your pocketbook.

Raffy
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Quote:
... Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.
Mark, make sure to flush and fill the 'New' FD when you get home. Who knows what manufacturing debris might be hiding in there!

Certainly glad to hear Sturgis decided to support you. They helped me out after a tire delaminated on me in the Badlands. It took 'em awhile, but it ended well!

Have a Great Ride!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:49 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Mark, make sure to flush and fill the 'New' FD when you get home. Who knows what manufacturing debris might be hiding in there!
That's good advise. Flush it before you hit 1000 miles...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help Raffy. I met Big John and he said we would pick me up on Saturday. I took another chance and spoke with Sturgis BMW and they agreed to order the parts today and install it tomorrow morning. The only catch is they are insisting that I replace the entire final drive at an approximate cost of $1200. The rationale is that it failed twice already and might be beyond reasonably fixing. I agreed to the price and hope I can continue this ride. My partner left for home this morning so Im gonna cruise alone. Im thinking a jaunt thru the reaches of Colorado are in order. My wife of course thought I would want to run straight home after the fix and Im thinking Ive got 8 days left and I already missed 3 days of riding...Thanks again for your help Raffy. IOU Buddy.
I think I'm liking the Sturgis BMW shoppe - sounds like they may know the VOR program and how it works (Vehicle Off Road). Some dealers do - some don't (or choose not to!!). One of the several reasons I deal with Lone Star BMW in Austin is the many stories I've heard over the years about their activating the VOR program to take care of travelers in the area. Sure glad you're gonna be able to finish your plans, albeit a small glitch mid-ride. Best of luck to you.
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:38 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I think I'm liking the Sturgis BMW shoppe - sounds like they may know the VOR program and how it works (Vehicle Off Road). Some dealers do - some don't (or choose not to!!). One of the several reasons I deal with Lone Star BMW in Austin is the many stories I've heard over the years about their activating the VOR program to take care of travelers in the area. Sure glad you're gonna be able to finish your plans, albeit a small glitch mid-ride. Best of luck to you.
All dealers know about VOR. However, it's expensive to order parts that way and they may chose not to use it unless they HAVE too...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Last edited by tedhudson; Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:33 am.
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
When my second final drive went out, Marty's BMW said it would take 2-3 days to get the part and a couple hours to install. I asked about overnight shipping, and they said that if I was willing to pay it (around $35) they'd have me back on the road the next day. Drive covered under warranty, new throttle cables under warranty, and I had the brakes flushed at my expense since they had the bike sitting there anyway.

I felt it was a fair resolution and it didn't affect my trip plans all that much. I was sorry later to see them close and be replaced by a boutique dealer, who seemed pretty clueless for the first year or two.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in