Hep! For this N. Texas guy. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Hep! For this N. Texas guy.

My lovely wife are going to do 1 &101 north of Caspar August 13th and 14th, then pick up a Rick Mayer seat on our way to San Diego to see our grandson graduate from Marine Boot on the 17th.

My question is, we are leaving Prescott, Az on the 11th and we are thinking about going to Barstow pick up 385 north to 89 to 20 then west to 1. Any thoughts. Would there be a better way? Etc? I am not familiar with that part of the world so I am open to any suggestion. By the way we will be pulling the Unigo and camping some?

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:25 pm
Super Moderator

Assuming you mean 395 instead of 385, that should be fine. There's a nice place to camp up near Bridgeport out at Twin Lakes (you'll see signs for it).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #3 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I'm not familiar with 385. If you meant 395, watch your speed. Nevada HP arre active on that corridor.

89 to 20 is awesome. You will go by Emerald Bay and that alone is worth it plus you will do a bit of riding along the lake too. Hwy 20 is also good and takes you around Clear Lake with some wide sweepers east of the lake.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Lightbulb

Well since you asked for opinions, hereís mind. Probably worth what you paid for them.

SR 20 is okay. Raffy is correct about is being nice towards the coastal ranges. But the middle section through the central valley (Yuba City/Marysville) is boring, and more congested than you might think.

From Prescott, SR 89 north to Ash Fork. Take old route 66 to Kingman, gets you off the interstate. From there:

Idea 1) Go north on US 93 over the Hoover/Bolder dam. (Depends on if youíre a Republican or a Democrat). Through Vegas and pick-up US 95 north. Take Nevada SR 266 west to California SR 168. Follow that to US 395 north. I like that ride.

or

Idea 2) Continue through Barstow on SR 58 all the way to the coast. You could consider the SR 223 by-pass to skip Bakersfield. The best thing that can be said about Bakersfield is that it is not Barstow. Anyway 58 west of Bakersfield is a nice ride. Fill up first and bring water. There are no services until you reach 101. (Thatís good advice for Nevada too.) Then you could ride SR 1 north, and enjoy the Pacific coast. Good points: Hearst castle, Monterey, San Francisco, GG Bridge. The bad points, the SF bay area means increased traffic. You can lane split, but itís not for the faint of heart on an LT pulling a trailer.

Anyway you go, be safe and have fun!

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Given the time constraints of being north of Caspar by the 13th I would agree with Tom's idea #1 and then cut over to Hwy 20. This may be the best compromise of making time off the main freeways. Some places along this route are routinely filled with heavy vacation and weekender traffic during the summer. You'll find plenty of traffic around Lake Tahoe on Hwy 89 and you'll have to run I80 for 30 miles west from Truckee to pick up Hwy 20 near Emigrant Gap. Hwy 20 is a nice piece of road until you lose the elevation coming into Marysville. You'll get a fair piece of traffic in Marysville/Yuba City and then hot agriculture flatlands until about ten miles west of I5 followed by 86 miles of hot twisties until you get to Hwy 101. It's the harvest so expect a lot of vegetable trucks in the central valley and watch for produce on the road. Sunday we came up on about 40 ears of corn all over I5! There isn't a lot of camping once you hit Marysville either. You will encounter heavy traffic as you enter Willits on 101 sometimes backing up a mile out of town. Heads up for the Hwy 20 cutoff in the middle of town. It's not well marked. An hour later you'll be on the coast. You may well encounter fog or cloudy conditions as you get close to the coast but it will cool off considerably.

One more thing while in California is our ridiculous trailer law. Vehicles pulling trailers or vehicles pulling vehicles are restricted to a legal limit of 55 mph.(just so you know)

Ride safe and a big Semper Fi to your grandson. If you've never been Marine graduation you'll be glad you did. Pride will take on a whole new meaning.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Hep! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Given the time constraints of being north of Caspar by the 13th I would agree with Tom's idea #1 and then cut over to Hwy 20. This may be the best compromise of making time off the main freeways. Some places along this route are routinely filled with heavy vacation and weekender traffic during the summer. You'll find plenty of traffic around Lake Tahoe on Hwy 89 and you'll have to run I80 for 30 miles west from Truckee to pick up Hwy 20 near Emigrant Gap. Hwy 20 is a nice piece of road until you lose the elevation coming into Marysville. You'll get a fair piece of traffic in Marysville/Yuba City and then hot agriculture flatlands until about ten miles west of I5 followed by 86 miles of hot twisties until you get to Hwy 101. It's the harvest so expect a lot of vegetable trucks in the central valley and watch for produce on the road. Sunday we came up on about 40 ears of corn all over I5! There isn't a lot of camping once you hit Marysville either. You will encounter heavy traffic as you enter Willits on 101 sometimes backing up a mile out of town. Heads up for the Hwy 20 cutoff in the middle of town. It's not well marked. An hour later you'll be on the coast. You may well encounter fog or cloudy conditions as you get close to the coast but it will cool off considerably.

One more thing while in California is our ridiculous trailer law. Vehicles pulling trailers or vehicles pulling vehicles are restricted to a legal limit of 55 mph.(just so you know)

Ride safe and a big Semper Fi to your grandson. If you've never been Marine graduation you'll be glad you did. Pride will take on a whole new meaning.
You guy are right it's 395 (little map); I had looked at Tom's route to 395 and thought that Barstow would be faster to get west then north?, thinking about the Central Valley. What about staying on 89 till 36 then west to 101? I wish we had more time, but we have want we have and we really want to do the Redwood Nat'l Park before starting back south.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #7 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
You guy are right it's 395 (little map); I had looked at Tom's route to 395 and thought that Barstow would be faster to get west then north?, thinking about the Central Valley. What about staying on 89 till 36 then west to 101? I wish we had more time, but we have want we have and we really want to do the Redwood Nat'l Park before starting back south.
36 from 5 to 101 is 140 miles of the best motorcycling you can find on the west coast! I can highly recommend that one! Will you be riding that before or after going to Rick's for the seat? When you pick up 36 in Red Bluff you are about 20 minutes from his shop in Anderson.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Another route would be from US 395, take S.R. 89 north to S.R. 70 at Blairsden. From there go west on 70 through Portola and Quincy and down the Feather River Canyon. (It's a fun ride with great scenery!) Just before you reach Oroville, turn off onto S.R. 146 toward Chico and S.R. 99 to Red Bluff and the I-5 to Anderson. This will keep you off of any four lane roads with the exception of 99 south of and through Chico (About 15 miles.) I concur that S.R. 36 is the best motorcycle road around here. It'll be a hot ride though this time of year but when you're a few miles from the west end, you'll be rewarded with nice cool temps. Enjoy your trip!!
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
36 from 5 to 101 is 140 miles of the best motorcycling you can find on the west coast! I can highly recommend that one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosd
I concur that S.R. 36 is the best motorcycle road around here.
What they said.

Say hi to Rick. Many of us are his frequent customers.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys!

Hey appreciate the info, I think we have layed out our route. Just another question, how much is fuel in your area?

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #11 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:35 pm
Super Moderator

You should have no troubles finding fuel along 395, 89 or 20. Be sure you have a full tank before heading out on 36 from Red Bluff to 101, it's 144 miles and the one gas stop may be closed, and it has crappy gas to boot.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #12 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Hey appreciate the info, I think we have layed out our route. Just another question, how much is fuel in your area?
Of course, it varies by how remote the location is from the main freeways. The price of super at Chevron runs from $2.99 a gallon in metro areas to $3.59 along the coast. My guess is you'll be paying an average of $3.29 in California, less if you're willing to use Arco or one of the lesser unknown brands out there. I have used fuel from "Patriot" stations along the north coast that has run fairly well.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:08 pm

Wink

Quote:
My lovely wife are going to do 1 &101 north of Caspar August 13th and 14th, then pick up a Rick Mayer seat on our way to San Diego to see our grandson graduate from Marine Boot on the 17th.

My question is, we are leaving Prescott, Az on the 11th and we are thinking about going to Barstow pick up 385 north to 89 to 20 then west to 1. Any thoughts. Would there be a better way? Etc? I am not familiar with that part of the world so I am open to any suggestion. By the way we will be pulling the Unigo and camping some?
Bill,
I suppose you will be crossing L.A. to go to San Diego coming from Northern California. You can stop at my place and and rest or spend the night if you'd like and if it fits your schedule. I have a garage with tools if you need to fix or check anything.
I am located near the 405 and 101 freeway intersection.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
You should have no troubles finding fuel along 395, 89 or 20. Be sure you have a full tank before heading out on 36 from Red Bluff to 101, it's 144 miles and the one gas stop may be closed, and it has crappy gas to boot.
Having run 36 very recently I can confirm the only fuel station open was at the Wildwood Cafe about 40 miles in and they only have a single pump of questionable regular. If they're open be sure to stop and have a bite of breakfast or lunch, both served all day. Very nice older couple runs the cafe with excellent eats. Every other station was boarded up until Hydesville which is just before Hwy 101. There's a big station with a store, restrooms, espresso bar, and picnic tables called Murrish Market on the right as you come into Hydesville just past the fire station. Very reasonable fuel prices and an excellent break spot. My fuel economy going through Hwy 36 fully loaded two-up was about 32mpg.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Bill,
I suppose you will be crossing L.A. to go to San Diego coming from Northern California. You can stop at my place and and rest or spend the night if you'd like and if it fits your schedule. I have a garage with tools if you need to fix or check anything.
I am located near the 405 and 101 freeway intersection.
Not only are Gilles and Kathy wonderful people and gracious hosts, but Gilles makes a great ratatouille!

Enjoy your travels, Bill. I'm looking forward to visiting with you and hearing all about it when you return. Please shake your son's hand and congratulate him for me, and tell him that my family and I appreciate his service to our nation and that we wish him godspeed and blessings in all that he does.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:08 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Not only are Gilles and Kathy wonderful people and gracious hosts, but Gilles makes a great ratatouille!
Sounds like someone wants to come back for another serving...
Quote:
Please shake your son's hand and congratulate him for me, and tell him that my family and I appreciate his service to our nation and that we wish him godspeed and blessings in all that he does.
+1 on that!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:46 pm

... you will

Bill...
I don't know if you've ever been to a USMC Graduation ceremony.

Like your young "Marine to be", if you haven't been, you have no idea how this is will affect you... forever. Bring lots of tissues for your wife.

There may be some nice roads to the Graduation... you may have some places you plan to see.... I promise you, things will be different after you experience the USMC Graduation... because you will be different, too....

May God's blessings be with your grandson and his fellow New Marines as they join those brave men and women of United States Marine Corps who serve today and have gone before them.

Let me know if there is anything we can help with. Semper Fidelis!

You probably already have this link:
http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/default.htm

and here is where the 2007 Graduation Schedule can be found:
http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/recruit_training_links.htm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:17 am

Quote:
I thought ratatouille was a new Disney movie.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
I thought ratatouille was a new Disney movie.
The evil corporation is nothing but a copy cat!!!
Ratatouille has been in existence long before Mr. Disney took Mrs. Disney to a picnic in the woods where little Waltie was conceived...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #20 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Sounds like someone wants to come back for another serving...
Absolutely!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in