SS2K This Weekend - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

SS2K This Weekend

Here's the web link to the ride page:

http://home.pacbell.net/tlash/Roadtrip_07.html

I'll try and update, hopefully, from the other end in Tucson.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:07 pm

Tom

Good luck...Enjoy ....Be safe.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:15 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
Here's the web link to the ride page:

I'll try and update, hopefully, from the other end in Tucson.
Have fun and be safe Tom. What bike are you riding?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Nelson.

Ted, taking the RT. The GT isn't quite ready for LD stuff yet.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #5 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:40 pm

Good Luck Tom!

As you probably already figured your slow road will be Hwy 50 from the time you get off 70 until you get on 25. Traffic & construction abound but with the late arrive to end the first day and an early start on the second it shouldn't be to bad.

See Ya on the next one.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:55 pm

Good Luck Tom... Stay safe and Ride with Pride

Mike Harrold

post #7 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Updated from Tucson.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #8 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:21 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Congratulations Tom & Paul, quite a feat!!!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #9 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:44 am

Congrats Tom,

I'll be looking forward to a trip report. Let me guess on the 1/2 hour airport parking - Looking for a time stamped receipt?

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #10 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Home

I got home late last night, and just finished the blog this afternoon. Nothing spectacular about this ride, other than we pulled off an SS2K; had dinner with a couple we know who recently moved to Prescott; and rode home the next day. It was hot, though. The next time I come up with the bright idea to do an IBA certificate ride in the Southwest in summer, you guys remind me Iím nuts. ĎK.

John, I wish I could say that riding into the airport parking was planned, but no. We had put on rain gear for some T-storms north of Santa Fe. But by the time we got to Albuquerque, it was clear and 100+ degrees again. I was trying to make it to the south end of Albuquerque before a stop, because our next leg to Las Cruces was over 200 miles. But Paul pulled up along side and said he needed to get his rain gear off. He sounded urgent about it. I have to admit, I was baking as well. It was like a sauna inside my Darien Light.

The next exit coming up was for the airport. Thatís okay I figure, there will be gas stations here because of the car rental agencies. So, off we go towards the airport. Iím not paying too much attention, just riding, sweating, and waiting for a gas station to come along. Next thing I know weíre on a one-way road going into the airportís long-term parking lot with no turn around. A U-turn into on-coming, one-way traffic is not part of my long term survival strategy. We got our parking lot entry tickets and rode in. At least once we were in there it was a safe place to park, get off, pack away our rain gear, and get back down to our mesh stuff.

I was complaining about how much it would probably cost us to get out when Paul said that he saw a sign with the cost listed when we were going in -- $1 for the first half-hour. Well, a buck for a convenient place to stop for a short time to change wasnít so bad after all.

The only other hassle was earlier in that second day. We allowed ourselves a sit-down breakfast in Salida, CO, since we had made such good time the day before. (We had maintained a BBG pace all day Saturday). But the restaurant was crowed, they screwed up Paulís order, then got our bills wrong. And as you pointed out, when we did get going US 50 along there is a twisty two-lane filled with slow moving tourists in motor homes.

However, after the Albuquerque detour, we got back on pace again. Actually, the night ride across the desert was fun, and we got into Tucson with plenty of extra time. So, the second day wasnít really all that bad, just not as smooth as the first.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #11 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Congrats again Tom,

Your Airport story reminds me of the SS2K I did with Raffy and Bob B. We were just coming up on Kanas City, it was about 108 degrees and we needed to get H2O plus cool down before attacking the traffic. So we pulled off at an exit, nothing much around but I spotted a public building and a race track. Turned out to be a NasCar building and Museum, fully open to the public and with lots of great AC! Got to pick up some great NasCar stuff and lots of Cold water - never would have found it if I was looking for it.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #12 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 2:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad you made it safely and accomplished your goals. Thanks for sharing the ride report. It lets us lightweights know what's possible.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 8:56 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Congrats Tom. Now you qualify as an extreme rider.

Glad you got it done, specially in the heat.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:50 am

Awesome!!!

FYI: The Memphis airport is free for the first half hour if you ever have need...
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks everyone.

Ken, your name, and the term "lightweight rider" just doesn't work together. Congrats to you on the Cal 24. I was lurking on the thread on the LD Riders list. I understand it was a tough one this year.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #16 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Congrats Tom!

Like the Good Morning VietNam excerpt - sounds like it fit you guys too well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in