Dirt Bike Coach Intro to Trail Riding- 2 slots open Thursday! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 6:17 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dan-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,439
Dirt Bike Coach Intro to Trail Riding- 2 slots open Thursday!

Call Dirt Bike Coach Rob if you want to take his Introduction to Trail Riding class tomorrow, Thursday June 21. He has two slots open.

The ride will be in the Forest Hill area. Rob's Cell # 916-690-2576.

Hope to see two of you there!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
Dan-A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 3:31 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,317
Cool

Would have loved to have gone, but too short a notice, some of actually have to work......grin.


Bob R.
brasters is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:45 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dan-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,439
Post Class Report

Since there was short notice, there were only 2 students, 1 instructor, and two tail riders on the ride.

The class was on single track trails at Sugar Pine, 17 miles out from Forest Hill.

The riding was strenuous and difficult for me, way more work than riding the dirt roads around Stoneyford, or out to the racetrack at Death Valley.

They were calling me the bushmaster after I crashed into some bushes and got all wound up with my camelback tube and radio wires in the branches, and I had to get help to get pulled out. If I had been alone, I might still be there right now!

After some coaching I started improving, and after lunch I was hopeful that it would be easier, which it was until my next crash.

I hit something coming down a hill, which unbeknownst to me broke the bracket that the rear brake lever pivots on, so I had no rear brake. I think this put me in a wierd attitude towards the left and when I was trying to adjust, my left quad muscle gave way with a twang that felt like I had broken my leg. At that point I fell over to the left, and wasn't sure what had happened, I just knew it wasn't a good thing.

I rolled over to the right and sat up, and I could move my leg no problem, it just hurt in the quadracep when I tried to get up.

Any way, I am fine. They rode the bike to the dirt road for me, I road back to the base camp and waited until they finished.

I got home and iced it up numerous times, and felt good enough to go to the River Cats game.

Today, I can walk pain free but standing up from a chair, or sitting in one, and stairs are painful.

I think it will heal up in a week and I'll be back out there.

The rear shock on the KLR is totally gone. It was gone when I got there, and I was bottoming out continuously, so I think when the one I ordered comes in, I will have an easier time controlling the bike when it has rear suspension travel again.

It was an adventure, no doubt about it.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
Dan-A is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:49 am
BMW Guru
 
Ted Shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nor Cal, , USA
Posts: 8,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Since there was short notice, there were only 2 students, 1 instructor, and two tail riders on the ride.

The class was on single track trails at Sugar Pine, 17 miles out from Forest Hill.

The riding was strenuous and difficult for me, way more work than riding the dirt roads around Stoneyford, or out to the racetrack at Death Valley.

They were calling me the bushmaster after I crashed into some bushes and got all wound up with my camelback tube and radio wires in the branches, and I had to get help to get pulled out. If I had been alone, I might still be there right now!

After some coaching I started improving, and after lunch I was hopeful that it would be easier, which it was until my next crash.

I hit something coming down a hill, which unbeknownst to me broke the bracket that the rear brake lever pivots on, so I had no rear brake. I think this put me in a wierd attitude towards the left and when I was trying to adjust, my left quad muscle gave way with a twang that felt like I had broken my leg. At that point I fell over to the left, and wasn't sure what had happened, I just knew it wasn't a good thing.

I rolled over to the right and sat up, and I could move my leg no problem, it just hurt in the quadracep when I tried to get up.

Any way, I am fine. They rode the bike to the dirt road for me, I road back to the base camp and waited until they finished.

I got home and iced it up numerous times, and felt good enough to go to the River Cats game.

Today, I can walk pain free but standing up from a chair, or sitting in one, and stairs are painful.

I think it will heal up in a week and I'll be back out there.

The rear shock on the KLR is totally gone. It was gone when I got there, and I was bottoming out continuously, so I think when the one I ordered comes in, I will have an easier time controlling the bike when it has rear suspension travel again.

It was an adventure, no doubt about it.
He Dan. Glad to hear you mostly had fun and are OK

You don't have to buy a new shock if it's just worn out. Take it to NorCal Racing in Elk Grove. They can rebuild the shock and put a better spring on it for ya. They did all the suspension on my DRZ with Race Tech springs and it made a HUGE difference....

__________
2016 R1200GS Adventure
2006 DRZ400E

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ted Shred is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dan-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
He Dan. Glad to hear you mostly had fun and are OK

You don't have to buy a new shock if it's just worn out. Take it to NorCal Racing in Elk Grove. They can rebuild the shock and put a better spring on it for ya. They did all the suspension on my DRZ with Race Tech springs and it made a HUGE difference....
They told me there's nothing they can do with a KLR.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
Dan-A is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:44 pm
BMW Guru
 
Ted Shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nor Cal, , USA
Posts: 8,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
They told me there's nothing they can do with a KLR.
That's kinda odd. I would get on ADVrider and find out what the guys are doing to upgrade their stock shocks on KLR's. If your buying another OEM shock it won't hold up any better that the 1st one if you're riding that bike off-road with the extra weight of bags etc...

__________
2016 R1200GS Adventure
2006 DRZ400E

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ted Shred is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you dread that pointless bike conversation with a stranger? eljeffe Bike Talk 169 Jan 31st, 2013 5:34 am
The story of buying my LT (Really REALLY long...) bmwjason Ride Tales 0 Jan 6th, 2006 11:09 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome