It's time.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

It's time....

...to hang up the gloves and helmets. It was fun while it lasted. I figure about 23 years of on rode motorbiking.

Started at the age of 11 with a moped (the ones with the motor directly above the front wheel), to many different motorcycles such as: Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Bultaco, Harley, BMW and Ducatis.

Last Sunday June 3rd, I had another get off. Second one in one month. The second get off resulted in broken bones and several deep bruises and lost confidence.

I have made my decision and I hope you all understand. I just don't want to put my wife Patty, through another phone call that I have been in an accident and she needs to come get me from a hospital. I also don't want to rattle my kids again. They were rattled both times.

I'm not leaving the LT community. I have made too many friends to do that. I'll see most of you at CCR.

In the mean time, ride safe and wear your gear.

Sincerely,
Raffy

PS: I am selling my riding gear in Classifieds. Proceeds go to the Sutter Memorial Hospital's Cancer Center in honor of Dell.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Raffy,

I've logged a lot of miles (1000's) with you over the last 6 years or so, I enjoyed every one. But your friendship means more than all the rides, so of course your decision is understood and supported.
It's very generous of you to donate the $$$ from your gear to a good cause, but thats natural for you. Like I said on the phone I'll take the 2X silver & Black air Jacket.
Glad your going to stay in the community this site and the HDDC would be so much less without you. See ya on Wednesday

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Unhappy

Raffy,

I am so sorry to hear of your mishap, you decision is not only understandable but fully supported by those of us that think so highly of you. The emotional welll being of your loved ones is always one of the most important components in the ability to enjoy riding. If one's loved ones would be fretting whenever we climb onto a motorcycle it would be both selfish and uncaring. You possess none of those traits. In all the dealings that I have had with you, your genuine care and generosity have repeatedly impressed me.

I am sure that you will continue to show up to HDDC gatherings, and thereby bless us with your presence.

Vaya con Dios, mi amigo,

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Raffy,
I am sorry to hear you are givin up the 2 wheels, I know how much you love riding. We will all miss riding with you. I can understand your rational for your decision. You have been a great asset here so please stick around and drive one of those sports cars to our outings!! I hope your healing well.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Cat Herder

MAN, that hurts. Two get off's and then hanging up the helmet. But I can understand. Had to make the same decision 19 years ago.

Thanks for the times we rode together. AND I hope when you will be able to get back in the saddle when your time comes (again).
post #6 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:53 pm

Wink

Raffy, sounds like it maybe time to enjoy a three wheeler. I find with 3 bikes in the garage the trike gets the most usage. Something to think about! Later Rob
post #7 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Damn Raffy ...that sucks. You always had a great smile after a nice ride.Hope it all works out for you..... for the better.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #8 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:44 pm
Super Moderator

Raffy, I hate to hear about the 2nd accident (I hope you're healing up OK), and I hate to hear about this decision. As much as I want to say, "aw, come on, get back in the saddle, you'll be fine!", I know that would be wrong, not what you need, and not being a very good friend. I completely understand your reasons and motivation behind it, and you are a strong and good man to give up a lifelong passion to make your family's world a better and safer place. I am very happy you're going to stick around here, the place just wouldn't be the same without you. As you well know, everyone in this community will always welcome you with open arms no matter how many wheels your vehicle has when you show up; that's how you treat family.

Now, if I could just find a way to take that GS or Ducati off your hands.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:02 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thank you everyone for the very kind words. Family and friendships are important to me.

Dave:

The Duc is DOA unfortunately. You will have to think about the GS Adventure. It will be up for sale in 2-3 weeks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #10 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Wow, Raffy. I don't think I can say any more than what's been said here already. That's a tough decision, but only you can decide what's best for you and your immediate family.

Your extended family here supports you fully in whatever way that we can. You know that you're always welcome under any circumstances, or in any vehicle.

See you at CCR, if not sooner.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Raffy,,,,

Wow... I do understand... been there a couple of times... and Family is everything...

You really need to think about the tricks... Having been on Rob's ... it is cool... and I know a bunch of guys with them... and it has lots of cargo space...

and they are chick magnets... and Patty can drive it... even Mary Lou says she would drive on...

Either way sorry to hear that you got off...

Mike Harrold

post #12 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Ted

I too am sorry to hear about your second accident and injuries. IIRC, you had a close call with a pick-up head-on awhile ago, too. It's never a wrong decision to listen to your inner voice and to follow your heart.

All the best...

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 59 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:57 pm

Raffy, I am no less shocked to read your announcement than I was Saturday when we talked about it. You have inspired me as a rider but more than that as a person. You have always been there to help with a tech issue and many of us are grateful.

This is starting to sound like a eulogy

It goes without saying that on behalf of the Sutter Cancer Center I am very grateful for your contribution. On a personal level it just continues to confirm my high opinion of you.

Thanks, Raffy.
post #14 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Your decision is both understood and respected. We are both glad you are ok and you are hangin' in the community. There are many other opportunities to have motorsport fun, but only if you're healthy enough to enjoy it. See you at CCR if not before.

Ernie and Pauline

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #15 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:26 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Raffy,
You were the first HDDC member that I met, and immediately fully liked and trusted. Over the past three years that has proven to be so very true. I fully understand and support your decision. We can only imagine what dealing with the accidents has been like for Patty and the kids.

I, like everyone else here, don't see our friendship changing just because you don't arrive on two wheels any more.

And typical of you, in the middle of this life changing decision, you are thinking of others which is evident by your charitable contributions.

You, sir, are a true gentleman and valued friend.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #16 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:31 am

Hi Raffy:

We haven't seen each other in a while, but I completely understand your decision. Throughout my life, I've giving up 2 wheels, but then came back at a later date. I hope that'll be your case!

You've been an inspiration to several, an example to many and a friend to everyone. There are three people that have kept me involved with this forum: Lodi Hal, Bob "Ten Beers" and you. I hope that your presence continues to be felt on this forum and in the motorcycle community for many years to come.

Warmest regards...

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #17 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:34 am

Raffy,

That really sucks you had another get off. Like all the others, I respect and understand your decision. Family always comes first. I have always enjoyed my time riding with you, and will continue to look forward to the friendship.

Take care of yourself and I'll see you soon.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #18 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:37 am

Thumbs up

Hard to visualize your garage without several motorcycles crammed in.

Where will the HDDC source their future bikes from?

What will we be needing next, jetski's, snowmobiles, ultralites, go-carts???

Priorities change and it is privlege to know someone who is committed to doing what feels right for the right reasons.
You can get another hobby but family must be first always.

Keep an eye on the rest of us unenlightened and continue to instill your wisdom upon us.

I look forward to future get togethers on however many wheels it takes.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #19 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:48 am
Old Dawg

Dammit Doug, you beat me to the humor part of this!
Raffy like many others here, you and I met because of these machines so everything in life serves a purpose. I certainly understand your decision and hope you find other hobbies that bring you the same passion and joy. I would bet we could have some fun with photography (it's low impact) in the future!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #20 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:48 am

It's time....for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
...to hang up the gloves and helmets. It was fun while it lasted. I figure about 23 years of on rode motorbiking.

Started at the age of 11 with a moped (the ones with the motor directly above the front wheel), to many different motorcycles such as: Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Bultaco, Harley, BMW and Ducatis.

Last Sunday June 3rd, I had another get off. Second one in one month. The second get off resulted in broken bones and several deep bruises and lost confidence.

I have made my decision and I hope you all understand. I just don't want to put my wife Patty, through another phone call that I have been in an accident and she needs to come get me from a hospital. I also don't want to rattle my kids again. They were rattled both times.

I'm not leaving the LT community. I have made too many friends to do that. I'll see most of you at CCR.

In the mean time, ride safe and wear your gear.

Sincerely,
Raffy

PS: I am selling my riding gear in Classifieds. Proceeds go to the Sutter Memorial Hospital's Cancer Center in honor of Dell.
I also had a get-off last Sunday resulting in a broken toe, three dislocated toes, swollen ankle, shoulder separation (acl), chest wall contusion and deep bruises with lost confidence. I was wearing all the gear.

As many of you know, I had a bad accident about three years ago too. And just last year, another twisted ankle on my GS.

I have a responsibility to my business and family and will also be hanging up the gloves and helmets.

Unlike Raffy, I have only been riding since the summer of '01 and only owned BMW's. Oh I can go back many years and remember riding mini-bikes, Honda's and some other brands in the late sixties and early seventies, but by no means a serious rider. Not until I met many of you by the summer of '02. Then I found out what LD riding was and the passion of riding alone and together.

I also have no reason to leave this cummunity as I have met too many friends here and enjoy going to dinner on Wednesday evenings. I mean, "You gotta eat", right?

Thanks to Raffy for starting this thread. I know it took me several weeks last time. Not really a great subject but I know there is life after riding.
I told Raffy that I'll probably get back into bicycling again. I kind of stopped exercising when I started riding motorcycles in '01. I stopped playing golf then too. Maybe I'll dust the old clubs off and see if I have any old balls lying around.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #21 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:48 am

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of the more recent incident. Take some time and get yourself in a good place. I was like you, started as a kid and had a bad call that took me out of it for almost 3 years in 2004 before getting back on the horse recently. I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. Partly because I physically can't, and partly because I know that in Atlanta I'm rolling the dice each time I hit those roads.

In the near future I hope to move to some place that is more safe for riding. Even if it's just cruising the beach or running my dogs around the neighborhood while they follow me, as long as I can ride some I'm happy enough. Not riding felt like part of my soul was amputated. I hope it isn't that way for you bud.

Anyway, get your head in a good place and heal up. Peace.
post #22 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 7:10 am

Raffy,

Sorry to hear of your second TC and to learn of the injuries you sustained. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Understanding how large a part of your life motorcycling has been, it is testament to your love for your family that you made the tough decision that you did to give up riding. There is no doubt that your head is screwed on straight.

God bless.
Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #23 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 7:57 am

I am sorry to here it, but only you know when itís time to quit. When I saw all the stuff you were selling yesterday, I thought this might be the reason. Looking forward to meeting you at CCR.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #24 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:29 am

Please, remember....

Raffy..
I know the courage it takes to make a decision to ride.... or not. Please, remember that.

My hope is you stay an active part of our group of mis-fits... from your vantage point you will be able to offer us deep, sincere wisdom... please, remember that.

My prayer is for your total healing...wherever that takes you, know you take a part of each of us... please, remember that.

When you look into the faces of your family, know they are the most important and your decision "for" them shows it... please, remember that.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #25 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:34 am

Roger I heard about your accident last week but wanted to wait until you went public to say anything. I am very happy you are okay even with the broken parts

It has always been a pleasure to ride with you. Your style was more like mine that some of the other guys. I enjoyed watching you stand by your LT and smoking a cigar after the HDDC dinners. I still have a vision of you riding to Death Valley a couple of years ago at your own pace sipping a designer coffee as you were riding.

By the way, I think of you everytime I start the LT since it is your Remus pipe I am listening to. Well actually it is Raffy's Remus pipe that you used for a while

Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I also had a get-off last Sunday resulting in a broken toe, three dislocated toes, swollen ankle, shoulder separation (acl), chest wall contusion and deep bruises with lost confidence. I was wearing all the gear.

As many of you know, I had a bad accident about three years ago too. And just last year, another twisted ankle on my GS.

I have a responsibility to my business and family and will also be hanging up the gloves and helmets.

Unlike Raffy, I have only been riding since the summer of '01 and only owned BMW's. Oh I can go back many years and remember riding mini-bikes, Honda's and some other brands in the late sixties and early seventies, but by no means a serious rider. Not until I met many of you by the summer of '02. Then I found out what LD riding was and the passion of riding alone and together.

I also have no reason to leave this cummunity as I have met too many friends here and enjoy going to dinner on Wednesday evenings. I mean, "You gotta eat", right?

Thanks to Raffy for starting this thread. I know it took me several weeks last time. Not really a great subject but I know there is life after riding.
I told Raffy that I'll probably get back into bicycling again. I kind of stopped exercising when I started riding motorcycles in '01. I stopped playing golf then too. Maybe I'll dust the old clubs off and see if I have any old balls lying around.
post #26 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:12 am

Roger,

I'll ditto what Dell said and I really enjoyed riding with you over the years. For someone who just jumped on an LT and started riding in 01, I was amazed at how natural of a Rider you were - are...........
Both Raffy and yourself will always be riders even if you never throw a leg over again. The Rider is inside of you, to mangle an old saying - You can take the Man off the Motorcycle but you can't take the Motorcyclist out of the Man.

I will miss both of you on the road more than you can imagine, but count my blessings that I still have you both as friends. Maybe you two can go in on a nice sporty convertible to take out on rides.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #27 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:39 am

Thumbs up A short comment for the newer members of this forum

Roger, I'm sorry to hear you're hanging it up, too!

Both Raffy and Roger ARE experienced and very competent riders, and they are opting, for good reasons, to reevaluate their priorities. I'm just going to add the following to those NEWER riders that are reading this series of posts, and wondering if motocycling is for you:

I know the law enforcement members that have ridden for their agencies will agree with the following-- A new rider takes two years to be safe on a motorcycle, and in some cases, many more years before they are truly proficient (more or less depending on their aptitude for the sport). When an experienced rider receives a new motorcycle, it takes, at least, 6 months to learn that bike and become safe and proficient on it. Don't rush it! When I was riding for SFPD, the Traffic Bureau used the foregoing to justify to the department, why experienced riders should not be rotated off the "motors". It was the more junior riders that were involved in the accidents!

Obviously, Raffy and Roger don't fall into the newbie classification. Motorcycling is a risky sport, but those risks can be minimized. Learn to ride to the best of your ability, don't take needless risks, pick a motorcycle that fits your needs & skill level; and enjoy! Raffy and Roger truly enjoyed the sport and the friendships it has brought them. Each of us has to do the same evaluation of priorities that they have done and make our own decisions. We'll all, at some time, discontinue riding, but I hope it'll be a long way off, for me!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #28 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:11 am
Rider Journeyman

Raffy, Roger.....

Raffy, Roger,

I know that the decision you each have made is very personal and born of deeply held convictions about priorities for yourselves and your loved ones.

Though I can't imagine what it might be, I hope that you find something to fill the void when the two-wheelers are gone.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #29 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:34 am

Unhappy Sorry, but supportive.

Raffy,

I am so sorry to hear you had another accident, and even more so that you are hanging up the helmet. Having been through similar circumstances, I certainly understand what it takes to hang it up. I also understand that it is very diffucult to leave this group! It has been over 3 years since my last accident, and I still come here almost every day. so many friends and memories.

I still want another bike, but it is not in the cards financially at this time, moving and re-starting in semi-retirement has left nothing in the "fun" account. Hopefully, one day I will be able to start back, but if not, I still have years of good memories of the LTs, and above all, this group of people.

We now live in sight of Douglas Lake, near Knoxville, and a boat of some kind is calling my name for next summer. Pushes my likelyhood of another LT further away.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #30 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:36 am

Hey Raffy,

Sorry to hear about your falls. There but for the grace of God go I, and all of us who ride understand this.

If you lose your mojo, it's time to park it and get off, and as you have so aptly recognized, there are others (your wife and children) who depend on you that you are considering, not only yourself.

Who knows, after a time, you may feel the urge come back, but in the mean time, listening to the intuition is the smart and considerate thing to do.

Others have already said it, so I can only repeat it, you are a true and considerate gentleman.

Cheers,

(and this goes for Roger too)

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #31 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Raffy,

I have never met you, ridden with you or even talked with you. But, I can totally understand your decision.

FWIW, It took me about 7 years to convince my wife to let me ride motorcycles again. It has been 4 years now that I have been riding in this country. Everytime I get on that bike to head out in the morning, I say a special prayer for myself, my family and for the rest of of my two wheel riding friends to bring us back home safely.

My daughter has put more miles on the back of my motorcycle than my wife My wife did not want any of this at first, but then my daughter always wanted to ride with me, every chance she got!! There have been many a days when I have seen that sign of worry on my wife's face when I am leaving the house. I have also seen that sigh of relief when I have come back home safely. It has taken me these many years to make her feel just little more comfortable with my motorcycle riding "addiction"! I appreciate their feelings about this and respectfully take appropriate precautions.

I always wear protective gear, whether required or not. There have been times when I'd show up for a ride with some friends who might be riding in shorts, a beanie and flip flops. But then, this group of friends that I ride with also respect my choice of gear too.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #32 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Raffy,

Like everyone else I'm stunned and saddened by your second get-off so soon after the previous crash. So glad you are still with us! And, I understand your descision to stop riding.

I quit in the late '70s after totaling my R75/5. Our son was about to be born and Suzanne decided he needed a living father! It took a few decades to get back in the saddle...

While we never had the opportunity to ride together, I have always repected your experience, willingness to help, terrific enthusiasm and genuine friendliness to everyone on this board. Thanks for staying with us!

Heal up well my friend!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #33 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Raffy,
Hope you heal quickly and completely. Glad to hear that you plan to hang out here with the gang, it's not important to own a motorcycle to enjoy the companionship of this illustrious group. If you want something that's a bit safer than two wheels but still gives you many smiles per mile, may I suggest you go take a test drive in a MINI Cooper. We've had ours now for a couple of months and I still look for excuses to take it out for a spin. It's a blast! I still own and ride the LT daily, but the Cooper causes me to think about which vehicle to take every time I get into the garage.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #34 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Raffy/Roger:
I commend both of you for your decisions. I know it could not have been easy as I have been there also. I broke 3 vertebrae in my neck in 1982 and did not ride for many years. Glad to see you will be making the weekly dinners as your company would surely be missed. Both of you are great guys and I am glad to have met you both.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #35 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:48 pm

Well little has been left to say I met Raffy and Roger through the HDDC ( it's Dougs fault") I have enjoyed every moment of our past friendship and look forward to thoes moments in the future . there is nothing in this friendship that requires any wheels or 2 or 4 .

On most HDDC nights I ride just to get "THERE" where ever there is. TO see my friends. I will continue to look forward to seeing them.

Now how about we buy some beat up Bugs cut the tops throw in a roll cage toss on some snow tires an beat the heck out of them, they can carry 4 and a cooler. Air cooled Boxer motors . What could be better. No opinion here .

All thoes dirt roads John has programed in to his GPS Need to be savaged.

Chuck
post #36 of 59 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Raffy,

My Friend, Your wisdom in knowing when it's time to step back and re-evalulate your families needs is indeed worthy of a Nod

Crashing sucks, being unable to ride even sucks more !!

The silver lining to all this is, life's not over You have a loving wife and kids that think the world of you !!
Take the time you would spend with your buddies and nurture the good times a GREAT family life offers. You will ride again, that we have no doubt.

Best of luck getting healed back up.

Regards.
Scott & Dawn

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #37 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 6:21 am

Hey Roger,

I will miss riding with you also. I do hope I will see at HDDC dinners and other functions, if you can cage it.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #38 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Unhappy

Raffy, sorry to hear about your second get off.
It takes quite a man to quit doing what he loves because he is thinking of the ones he loves...
You are such a big part of this riding community and I know you will continue to be for a long time.
You proved yourself as a rider and I am sure no one will mind if you show up in your car or truck for a RTE.
See you at CCR!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #39 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
Hey Roger,

I will miss riding with you also. I do hope I will see at HDDC dinners and other functions, if you can cage it.
Thanks Mike. Me too. But who else is going to keep the list up?

I was just talking to my sister in Tracy, Ca. She reminded me that I have to 're-invent myself' again.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #40 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I have to 're-invent myself' again.
Will the REAL Roger please stand up?
Hope you are feeling better and on your feet soon.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #41 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Unhappy

I fully understand Raffy, don't sweat it. Good luck, will see you at HDDC and other functions, will miss you on the rides though.

Just Bob.
post #42 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:41 pm

New PORSCHE time

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #43 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

post #44 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Garage
Quote:
Lingenfelter
I had to look... and WOW - THIS seems like a nice replacement for the ol GS/DUC - and it's even on sale!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #45 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
I had to look... and WOW - THIS seems like a nice replacement for the ol GS/DUC - and it's even on sale!
Package price
Reg $52,995.00 Now only $48,995.00

Automatic transmission
upgrade 2005 ONLY A6 not required - $2,995.00
Normal installation time required: 6 - 8 weeks with prior notification.

Items on this page are not legal for sale or use on California pollution controlled motor vehicles.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #46 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Raffy/Roger,

I can't say anything that hasn't been said. I am truly thankful that neither of you were injured worse than were.

Although I haven't had the pleasure of a face-to-face, but I sort of know you from your posts and know that you love riding. I can't imagine how much courage you guys must have to make a tough decision like this. I appluad you for putting others needs ahead of your own.

I am glad you both will be around to share you humor, stories, wisdom,e tc. with the rest of the family here...
post #47 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Thanks Raffy!!

Never met you, but read your threads for many years.

True gentleman and a true family man.... I respect your decision and wish you all the best in your recovery.

I have the utmost respect for you and your family. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

JC

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #48 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Lingenfelter
Damn! Well, if you ain't motorcycling I think that would be one helluva substitute! That thing will flatten your eyeballs right into your head!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #49 of 59 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Boys, God speed. Raffy, my man, you know I love you and you're one helluva rider. I'm proud to be your bud and look forward to many more years of friendship.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #50 of 59 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:59 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks everyone. I made it to HDDC dinner. Nothing has changed. The same group of juvenile delinquents showed up as always.

Grif,

Rest assured that Barbara will be well taken care of. She actualy is parked in my garage with BT plugged in. Nathan will give her plenty of exercise.

Silver lining....I'll have more time o develop products now for the LT and other BMW bikes. Wait till you see what Nathan and I have up our sleeves.

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:25 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in