Norwester - July 13-15 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Norwester - July 13-15

The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California. One up, two up, couples, singles, and those seeking the company of like-minded riding souls should make their plans and reservations soon!

July 13-15 we have a ride planned up through the Northwest quadrant of the great state of California. Friday afternoon we'll ride up to Redding to take in the Sundial Bridge in sunlight and again lit up for the starlight after dinner. We will overnight at the Amerihost Inn and probably have dinner at either Logan's or the Lumberjack. Next morning we set off for the coast on Hwy 36 which is considered by many to be one of the top five motorcycle roads in the county especially when ridden east to west. We hope to arrive on the cool coast in Eureka by early afternoon in time for a few brews at the Lost Coast Brewery. (Where "big shark" is actually made!) We'll overnight at the very motorcycle friendly Bayshore Inn of Eureka. Dinner will include an evening ride on the bridge over Humboldt Bay to the outer penisula where we'll find the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a former logging camp kitchen. The last of its kind from early last century still serving up great family-style, all you can eat dinners in a unique coastal atmosphere. After breakfast Sunday morning we'll head down Hwy 1 through the Redwood Forest and mosey along the Avenue of the Giants for 30-40 miles. Lunch will be in Willits. We'll break up from there but I will lead a group east on Hwy 20 over the top of Clear Lake back to the Sacramento area. Both motel locations include breakfast and have pool/spa facilities so don't forget your swimsuits and your evening libations.

This our third year for this beautiful run. Expresso Riders is about relaxed touring, reasonable pace, building strong ties, sleeping indoors, and maximizing our quality time together on the road with safety as our first priority. Veteran or newbie you'll find friends, scenery, laughter, great riding, and fun on the Norwester. Spouses and SOs are encouraged! And yes, as the name implies we have been known to stop for coffee now and again! PM with your questions.

http://www.amerihostredding.com/

http://www.bwbayshoreinn.com/

http://www.lostcoast.com/

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=400

Please add your name(s) to the list after you have made reservations!

2. Bob and Jeanie (Smokey too)

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by DavidTaylor; Jul 16th, 2007 at 7:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Norwester - July 13-15
The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California. One up, two up, couples, singles, and those seeking the company of like-minded riding souls should make their plans and reservations soon!

July 13-15 we have a ride planned up through the Northwest quadrant of the great state of California. Friday afternoon we'll ride up to Redding to take in the Sundial Bridge in sunlight and again lit up for the starlight after dinner. We will overnight at the Amerihost Inn and probably have dinner at either Logan's or the Lumberjack. Next morning we set off for the coast on Hwy 36 which is considered by many to be one of the top five motorcycle roads in the county especially when ridden east to west. We hope to arrive on the cool coast in Eureka by early afternoon in time for a few brews at the Lost Coast Brewery. (Where "big shark" is actually made!) We'll overnight at the very motorcycle friendly Bayshore Inn of Eureka. Dinner will include an evening ride on the bridge over Humboldt Bay to the outer penisula where we'll find the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a former logging camp kitchen. The last of its kind from early last century still serving up great family-style, all you can eat dinners in a unique coastal atmosphere. After breakfast we'll head down Hwy 1 through the Redwood Forest and mosey along the Avenue of the Giants for 30-40 miles. Lunch will be in Willits. We'll break up from there but I will lead a group east on Hwy 20 over the top of Clear Lake back to the Sacramento area. Both motel locations include breakfast and have pool/spa facilities so don't forget your swimsuits and your evening libations.

This our third year for this beautiful run. Expresso Riders is about relaxed touring, reasonable pace, building strong ties, sleeping indoors, and maximizing our quality time together on the road with safety as our first priority. Veteran or newbie you'll find friends, scenery, laughter, great riding, and fun on the Norwester. Spouses and SOs are encouraged! And yes, as the name implies we have been known to stop for coffee now and again! PM with your questions.

http://www.amerihostredding.com/

http://www.bwbayshoreinn.com/

http://www.lostcoast.com/

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=400

4. Bruce and Denise

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Norwester - July 13-15
The "happy campers" of the Expresso Riders invite all on our July weekend ride to the great northwest corner of California.

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vicki

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Were there!!

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
8. Steve and Mia (The bartender)

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #5 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris

Bob Morrow #4204
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
11. Brian and Renna (Hallzee)
We are in!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara

Bob Morrow #4204
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 1:05 am

Wink

Quote:

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 1:08 am

Quote:

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave :
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

4. Bruce and Denise
6. Mark and Vickie
9. Larry Morris
12. Cara
13. Dave

Bob Morrow #4204
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Long Way Around II

Back by popular demand from the Yosemite Ride is the "let's take Friday off and take the long way around" option for the Norwester Ride. Most of the riders have now secured a three day weekend. The rally point is the Starbuck's on Arena Blvd in the Natomas Park area just west of the Arena exit on I5 at 0830. We'll be coffee'd up, tanks full, bladders empty, and clutches out at 0900. Our route will take us up the Feather River Canyon, around the southern shore of Lake Almanor, through high peaks and bubbling hydrothermals of Mt. Lassen National Park following our objective to arrive in Redding by 1700 to take a peak at the Sundial Bridge in the daylight. Dinner reservations at 1900 have been made at CR Gibbs, a celebrated locally owned restaurant and watering hole a short constitutional from our lodging at the Amerihost. Those interested can take a short evening ride after dinner back to the Sundial to see it lighting up the summer night.

The long way around will take us through some great riding roads but also diverse temperature changes. It can be warm enough for a cooling vest in the valley while cold enough for liners on Bumpass Pass in Mt. Lassen all in the same 2-3 hour stretch. It will be a great kick-off to an already adventure filled weekend in our beautiful, road bountiful state.

If you can't make the early departure we'll look for you at the Amerihost or at CR Gibbs Friday night! Let me know your individual plans on the Expresso Riders email distribution if you haven't already. Looking forward to it!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

E X 2

Are you ready?

We'll be well on our way by this time tomorrow!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Are you ready?

We'll be well on our way by this time tomorrow!
Bob, for the "late arrivals", what's the ETA for dinner at C.R. Gibbs?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

I expect to get to the Amerihost between 4-5pm. The dinner reservation is for 7pm. We'll probably gather at the Amerihost lobby about 6:30pm and stroll over as a group.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:37 pm

AWESOME... just AWESOME!

What a ride... Not even the heat bothered me on the way home... I am still smilin'... To all the "riders" that made the trip... you guys and gals are the best. 805 miles total on my ticker... and I can't wait to do it again...

Pictures soon...

Damn... what a blast...

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #16 of 23 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:21 pm

Thumbs up

Made some new friends, and had a great trip through the redwoods. What a blast!

I'll send you guys some pictures!

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 23 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee

I'll send you guys some pictures!
Please post a few for the rest of us who had to work, and take care of honey-do's this past weekend.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin - but making great time.
post #18 of 23 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Quite an action and food and beverage packed three days! I only took those two group shots on the Avenue of the Giants this morning and both came out somewhat dark. I attach one but I guess it's a lot darker in that canopy than I realized! Please post yours when they're ready.

We enjoyed it all especially the pilgrimage to the mecca of "big shark." I don't think Dave minded either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN04360508HI2007.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	13141  

Bob Morrow #4204
post #19 of 23 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Another great outing with 909 miles logged in for the three days. As expected we hit the wonderful traffic jam between Rhonert Park and Petaluma and lost almost an hour, but we never had temps over 85 degrees.

Food and company was outstanding as usual and we realy enjoyed the week end away.

I'll add some picts soon.

See you all next month in South Lake Tahoe, if not sooner.......

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #20 of 23 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Pic's are ready...

at least a good portion of the pics are up....

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...rwester%20BMW/

If you want the originals, let me know... I'll send you a CD with the whole magilla!

Ride Tales will have a synopsis of the trip...

Thanks to all... It was a wonderful mini-vacation!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #21 of 23 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Link to Ride Tails

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25378

Again, if anyone wants a CD-Rom of the pics we took (as well as the rather jerky, noisy videos) let me know. Send a PM with an address and I'll mail you a CD... or let me know you'll be on the Sunday dinner ride and I'll give you your copy then!

BTW, you'll get all the pics... including the bad ones!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #22 of 23 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Great pictures Mark. You and Vickie really captured the mood of the riders and the beauty of the scenery. I was pretty drained by the time we got home and still felt it today at work, but after seeing the photos I'm getting psyched for next month in South Lake Tahoe.

Here's a couple of picts to add to the thread.

Mia wanted to know what was the big deal about the bridge, it didn't seem THAT tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	13158   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	13159   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	13160   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	13161  

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #23 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
Mia wanted to know what was the big deal about the bridge, it didn't seem THAT tall.
I'm at the airport and have to clean my laptop now... too dang funny! The pic of Mia holding up the bridge was priceless... Well done... and someone got a pic of SNOW!

AWESOME! I'm ready fror Tahoe....

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in