Aaaargh! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Aaaargh!

The top case in the Orca has refused to open up!

I have surfed the old threads and not one that I could find gives suggestions on how to open a stubborn latch. There are all kinds of helpful hints on what to do when the thing is open, but not how to open it when it refuses every attempt.

I have pushed down on the lid and open it, to no avail. Some suggested to ride for a while and hope to have it loosen up. No go.

A&S is talking of about $700 for the bottom, and another $2-300 for labor. There has to be a better way!

I spent three to four hours last night surfing but nothing that would help. Is there anybody who has had this trouble and solved it without throwing a lot of money at it?

I have my wallet, checks and other important things (like keys to Sierra College office and classrooms) and I need to get them out.

Hopefully waiting for a response

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Does the handle move??
Just checked mine and if the handel moves the hold down arms must move, unless something is broke in the latch.
Looked to see how I would break-in to it in similar situation and seems like you are screwed. Can not get to hinge rivets unless lid is open.

Only idea at the moment is to bend a thin piece of metal at 90 degrees so it has a 2 inch tail (like an old butter knife) and try and work it into the gap thru the gasket (put tape on paint to try and protect) about 7 inches right or left of center and push toward the center to see if you can move latch arms off the latch pins.

If the handle does not move, make sure its unlocked (button should move in), push down REALLY firmly (have your son sit on it) while trying to open. There are two arms behind the handle (not the ones in the box) that hook over pins and could only be seen if you drill holes or break out bottom of handle.

Go look at a functioning top box before trying anything, then I would break the handle as a last resort (someone has a replacement for a couple hundred dollars on this site).

Good luck and post results.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Doug,

I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in