Help from the Posse Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Help from the Posse Needed

This has been a depressing weekend and I am hoping someone can provide a little bright spot.

Saturday morning I received a call that my beloved 90 year old father died in his sleep in his house in Burlingame. I decided to ride the LT to Burlingame. Since I keep an old car in Burlingame I would use it if I needed to.

The LT ran well after just having a new rear seal assorted other work that totaled to over $3k (but I digress).

This morning I went to start the LT and the lights lit up for only a second then everything when quiet except for the starter which seem to be slooooowly trying to turn over.

Looks like my battery is shot. Those of you who know me know I am mechanically challenged but even I can replace a battery on an LT. I removed the old one and it was hot, not blistering hot but pretty hot. There was corrosion on the top of the battery and the mechanic at A&S did not replace the ground wired that connects my Gerbings.

That being what it is, I need a new battery. Since it is Easter Sunday (oh, by the way Happy Easter!) everything seems closed. I checked with BMW Mt.View and San Jose and it appears they are closed also on Monday

I need to get back to Rocklin as my Chemotherapy is due this week. So, are there alternative batteries, non-BMW, that I can #1 install and #2 buy at an auto parts store, Wallmart, or the like?

Most of my day tomorrow will be in handling my Dad's affairs but I would also like to fix the LT so I can ride back to Rocklin on Tuesday.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Battery

Hi Dell, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father, Edee and I send our condolences.

For a battery, most of the guys run an Odysessy 680 on their LT's. The chain stores Battery Plus usually carry them , and there is one in San Rafael, contact info below.

Hours:
Mon→Thurs: 8:00-8:00
Fri : 8:00-8:00
Sat: 8:00-6:00
Sun: 10:00-5:00

Phone:
(415) 455-9221
Fax:
(415) 381-5308
Address
2064 4th Street,
94901, San Rafael

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LodiHal; Apr 8th, 2007 at 2:45 pm.
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear of your fathers passing.
Your family are in our thoughts this Easter Day.

Try re-tightening battery terminals, especially the ground.
If you have a charger, maybe it will take enough to start and get you home?
Any 12 Volt battery that will fit and hook to terminals should work.
Maybe a jump start and then just do not stop till home?
I can bring you my LT battery Monday night if all else fails.
Call me if you need anything at all. 209/7476453

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dougholck; Apr 8th, 2007 at 2:37 pm.

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the condolences and the battery advice, Doug.

I have removed the battery from the bike and am charging it. I don't have a multimeter here so I am hoping the charger's red light turns to green. If not I will call tomorrow to see about a new battery. If I have to wait until Tuesday to replace the battery it may not be a big problem since my chemo is not until Wednesday morning and worst case I could postpone it until Friday.

The only problem with waiting until Friday for the chemo is we have the dirt class on Saturday and I won't be feeling too well with chemo so close.

I think this is getting to a point where I will PM you if I need anymore help. Thanks again for you condolences and your concern for me.
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Dell,

I am sorry to hear about you Dad.

I have a battery that is charged, and could bring it tomorrow. Let me know if you need it. Hopefully your battery will revive, but if not, I'll bring it. If you need a ride back home I can do that too. I have Monday off, so just holler.

Best wishes,

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

post #6 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Alvaro for the kind offer. I think that now I have time to calm down, I will just wait until the local BMW parts store opens and get the new battery. If I get the battery on Tuesday morning and install it I will still miss the bad traffic on the way back to Rocklin.

Thanks again for your offer,
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Dell,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your dad. It just plain sucks, I know, but I hope you can find some comfort in the well wishes and support from those of us here in your bmwlt.com extended family.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Dell... My deepest condolences on losing your Dad... On the other hand, If I had to choose my final day, it would be Easter!

Hope you get the bike bits sorted soon. Having Alvaro's help might be part of the plan, can't hurt..

I will pray for your Father's Soul... that through the mercy of God, he rest in the arms of Christ...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Dell:

So sorry to hear about your father's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Let us know if you need us to come down and haul your bike back. I am available if needed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Apr 8th, 2007 at 11:09 pm.
post #10 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:43 pm

My route brings me through Burlingame between 1pm and 2pm tomorrow on my way to my last stop in Santa Rosa. Call me if you need anything. Sorry to hear about your Dad.

I like your Alaska Here We Come clock. Thanks for keeping us in informed.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #11 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:36 am Thread Starter

My thanks to those of you who offered me condolences at the loss of my father. It is interesting to me how this group of folks who have come together because of a common love of motorcycles can also take time from their lives to help or think of others.

For the battery advise I am also thankful. As I said earlier I am not treating this as a priority since there is so much to do with my father's affairs; on the other hand, I would like to get home!

Thanks to Hal I am aware of the Odysessy 680 and there is a dealer near me. I will call him first. I also understand the Westco 12V20P will do the job and there are two dealers within 30 miles of me. I will call them if the Odysessy doesn't work out.

Roger offered to pick up a BMW battery at Modesto and drop it by my house in Burlingame. Unfortunately the Modesto BMW store is closed on Mondays just like Mtn.View and San Jose BMW. Really a nice gesture on Roger's part, thanks.

If all else fails, I will go to Mtn.View on Tuesday and buy a battery.

I am learning there is no problem too large when you have friends.

Thanks,
post #12 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:00 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Dell, and all of the HDDC folks, no one is ever alone. Being able to ask for assistance does not show weakness, it shows your strength in yourself and in your trust of your friends.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #13 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 4:12 am

Dell,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My prayers are with you and your family.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 9:38 am

Hey Dell,
Sure Sorry to hear of the passing of your Father. Looks like you have plenty of offers for help with the LT power problem. If you need anything at all or just want to talk, I believe you have my cell.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:39 am
Rider Journeyman

Dell,

Please accept Nancy and my condolences on the loss of your father. Having come to know you these last few years, I am confident that your father left this world very gratified with his son's accomplishments.

I am in town 'til Noon today. If you need anything, give me a call.

Take care,
Bill

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #16 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Lightbulb

Hey Dell. Very sorry to hear about your loss. Having gone through it a few years ago I know it's difficult enough without these sorts of problems. Here is what I can do. If someone in Sacramento can pick-up the right battery for you and drop it at my office in Natomas(or Stockton for that matter) sometime today I can have one of my Bay area couriers deliver it to your front door in Burlinggame Tuesday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell
My thanks to those of you who offered me condolences at the loss of my father. It is interesting to me how this group of folks who have come together because of a common love of motorcycles can also take time from their lives to help or think of others.

For the battery advise I am also thankful. As I said earlier I am not treating this as a priority since there is so much to do with my father's affairs; on the other hand, I would like to get home!

Thanks to Hal I am aware of the Odysessy 680 and there is a dealer near me. I will call him first. I also understand the Westco 12V20P will do the job and there are two dealers within 30 miles of me. I will call them if the Odysessy doesn't work out.

Roger offered to pick up a BMW battery at Modesto and drop it by my house in Burlingame. Unfortunately the Modesto BMW store is closed on Mondays just like Mtn.View and San Jose BMW. Really a nice gesture on Roger's part, thanks.

If all else fails, I will go to Mtn.View on Tuesday and buy a battery.

I am learning there is no problem too large when you have friends.

Thanks,

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by Tallyho; Apr 9th, 2007 at 1:19 pm.
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Dell,

Would like to add my condolences to the others. I know it's hard to lose a parent, but you know that your Dad's looking down on you with a smile and a new peace. You and your family will be in our prayers.

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Hello all,

This has been an emotional weekend for me. The kindness shown by folks on this board has been the best. Now the good news.

I installed a new Westco 12V20P battery in the LT a few minutes ago. Mike Ritter who owns SelbyMoto in San Francisco normally doesn't work on Mondays. He happened to check his voice mail and heard my inquiry regarding a battery for the LT. He called me up to confirm I still needed it and (here's the good part) he delivered it to my house in Burlingame. He pulled up on a brand new blue Honda Goldwing. I paid him $90 and we talked for a few minutes off he went. What a nice guy.

I installed the battery as best I could with only the tools that came with the bike. I got a little startled when I connected the ground side and the engine started turning. I remembered some discussion about this so I tried again but this time I held the starter button while holding the ground. With the starter "unlocked" I took my time and finished the installation.

A quick call to John Flowers to ask if there was anything special I should do with the throttle memory and then I started it. Nice to hear it running again. After I rest I will ride it for awhile.

Tomorrow my brother and I meet with the funeral director and then it is back to the Sacramento Valley.

Thanks again,
post #19 of 20 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #20 of 20 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 5:24 pm

Dell:
Sorry to hear about your father. I lost mine 5 years ago next month. Sucks, but what can you do but drive on. Sorry I haven't had internet access over the last four days; I would have been more than happy to help. Remember, life is 95% attitude and you my friend seem to have a great one.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in