Hwy. 50 at night ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Hwy. 50 at night ?

Looking for any helpful info - my friend and I are going to be doing a BBG 1500 this spring and are looking at going in a loop from Sac thru Ely to Nephi UT, then to Las Vegas and back to Hwy 50 and Sac. We are looking at going on 50 through Nevada at night and wonder about any problems we might encounter - deer? - closed gas stations? - unmarked corners? etc. We have not ridden the Loneliest Road before and figured it would be the best section for the night portion of the ride. I appreciate any advice you can give.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
Looking for any helpful info - my friend and I are going to be doing a BBG 1500 this spring and are looking at going in a loop from Sac thru Ely to Nephi UT, then to Las Vegas and back to Hwy 50 and Sac. We are looking at going on 50 through Nevada at night and wonder about any problems we might encounter - deer? - closed gas stations? - unmarked corners? etc. We have not ridden the Loneliest Road before and figured it would be the best section for the night portion of the ride. I appreciate any advice you can give.
Hwy 50 at night.....

Deer? Yes yes and add Elk in the Ely area.
Closed gas stations - Yes - in Eureka and Austin
Unmarked corners - Yes!

I've done a lot of hwy 50 crossings and find Hwy 50 at night challenging.

Hwy 80 might be a better bet - but 50 can be done.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 4:11 pm

A little easier

#1 Sac to Green River during the daylight hours. Green River to SLC, trying to get to Spanish Fork (~900-950 miles depending on your start) before prime deer time, and I80 back.

#2 Doesn't include 50. Sac to Little America WY. and back

Joe

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This past June I rode across 50 and in the mountains near Austin the road was covered with live and squished locust (or similar insect). Made cornering real interesting. At night it would have been a real surprise.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 5:21 pm

#2 Doesn't include 50. Sac to Little America WY. and back

Joe[/QUOTE]

I would chose this route if it was up to me; have ridden MANY times between Sac and Denver on both 80 and 50. 80 is by far the fastest and probably safest at night.

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #6 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Hi-way 50 at night

I've done 50 many times, even once at night and would not ever do it again. Way too many animals to contend with, not to mention those locusts that were mentioned. If you can do 50 on the way back during the day. Watch for the Sherriff near Austin. He was good about not writing me up for excessive speed (105 mph) but did allow me to pay a fine of $58 for a NON MOVING VIOLATION. Go figure. Watch the cross winds as they can be terrible at times. Good Luck.

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred

I have made several Hwy50 crossings and I have concur with what John Flowers (amarider) has posted.
Although I have not done it at night I have been on there at dusk and at dawn. That was enough to convince me that the wildlife is abundant, at least in the summer. Personally I would avoid this area at night and opt for slabbing it during the from dusk till dawn.
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - exactly the info I was looking for. It looks like Hwy 50 at night is NOT going to be the route for our planned loop, so now we are investigating other circular routes. We don't really want to do a "there and back again" run; if we did we would probably go 1500 miles straight out to S. Dak. and visit relatives there instead of going 750 and turning around. Thanks again, Fred

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:20 pm

You could alway PM Raffy, I am sure he has a way or two to turn night time in to day. Now say that fast 3 times..

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:56 am

Not locust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
This past June I rode across 50 and in the mountains near Austin the road was covered with live and squished locust (or similar insect). Made cornering real interesting. At night it would have been a real surprise.
They are Mormon Crickets, members of the shieldback Katydid family. They can cover the road for a hundred yards at a stretch. Very dangerous for motorcycles day or night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cricket

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in