Yosemite June 1-3, 2007 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Yosemite June 1-3, 2007

We are planning a Yosemite ride for the week end of June 1st through 3rd, 2007 with a stay at the Evergreen Lodge (link below)

We did this ride for the Fall Colors last October, but vowed to return when the waterfalls were running at spectacular levels! We need to book now to enjoy Peak Season.

This is not an organized ride, but we encourage all couples, single or two up, to join us for the breath taking scenery. The Evergreen Lodge is a rustic romantic cabin setting with updated and modern amenities in a secluded and wooded setting. While we recommend the cabins they also have options for those who want a more traditional camping setting to look out at the stars at night.

They have a full service restaurant, separate bar and a small grocery store on site. The lodge is 15 miles outside the north entrance to Yosemite and on the same road as Hetch Hetchy reservoir, 10 miles up the road. There are plenty of great motorcycling roads for all types of riders in and outside the park with all the variety this National Park has to offer, be it the vast Yosemite Valley floor, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy and perhaps even Tioga Pass!

The Lodge has a fairly standard cancellation policy of over 30 days a $25.00 cancellation fee applies and less than 30 days a loss of the first night deposit or a $25.00 cancellation fee and the balance on a gift certificate for a future booking.

If you’re looking for a quality experience in the company of like-minded comrades add your name to the list and make your reservations now. Space will be limited.

http://www.evergreenlodge.com

2. Steve and Mia

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidTaylor; Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:10 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
We are planning a Yosemite ride for the week end of June 1st through 3rd, 2007 with a stay at the Evergreen Lodge (link below)

We did this ride for the Fall Colors last October, but vowed to return when the waterfalls were running at spectacular levels! We need to book now to enjoy Peak Season.

I was in Yosemite a few years back 1st week of July
the roads through the park had only been open two weeks from all the snow,
there was still a ton of it everywhere, what a site, John Muir knew what he talked about

http://tinyurl.com/yfxesq The Yosemite

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 5:52 pm

Yosemite June 1-3, 2007

This is not an organized ride, but we encourage all couples, single or two up, to join us for the breath taking scenery. The Evergreen Lodge is a rustic romantic cabin setting with updated and modern amenities in a secluded and wooded setting. While we recommend the cabins they also have options for those who want a more traditional camping setting to look out at the stars at night.

They have a full service restaurant, separate bar and a small grocery store on site. The lodge is 15 miles outside the north entrance to Yosemite and on the same road as Hetch Hetchy reservoir, 10 miles up the road. There are plenty of great motorcycling roads for all types of riders in and outside the park with all the variety this National Park has to offer, be it the vast Yosemite Valley floor, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy and perhaps even Tioga Pass!

The Lodge has a fairly standard cancellation policy of over 30 days a $25.00 cancellation fee applies and less than 30 days a loss of the first night deposit or a $25.00 cancellation fee and the balance on a gift certificate for a future booking.

If you’re looking for a quality experience in the company of like-minded comrades add your name to the list and make your reservations now. Space will be limited.

http://www.evergreenlodge.com

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce & Denise

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Thumbs up Filling that Calendar

Count us in. We're booked at Evergreen.

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie

(Denise, I'm bringing my Aussie hat!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I was in Yosemite a few years back 1st week of July
the roads through the park had only been open two weeks from all the snow,
there was still a ton of it everywhere
I presume you are talking about the one road "through the park" that connects to US395 being the Tioga Pass Road (Hwy120) which typically reopens the 2nd or 3rd week of June. The pass is at 9000 feet where the valley floor is about 4500. I anticipate no snow issues and it is not our intention to cross Tioga for this getaway weekend. Access into the park and around the valley floor is fairly unrestricted from the other three entrances most of the year. Actually when it comes to views, Yosemite Valley in winter during or just after a snowfall is about as spectacular as it gets but then not too good for riding. You're right about John Muir. It's too bad not everyone listened to him and set about the process of destroying 25% of the park's grandeur in 1916.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #5 of 32 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:47 am

Smile

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie
7. Nathan at this time , if I can the time.
post #6 of 32 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Smile

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne

Bob Morrow #4204
post #7 of 32 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 4:52 pm

Uncle Mark and Tia Vicki - You can count us in. We're booked at Evergreen.

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:21 am

Out of Hibernation:

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki
13. Wayne and Pam

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #9 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNorton
Out of Hibernation...
Is that who was snoring? And I thought it was Yogi and Booboo!

By the way, the Tavern at Evergreen Lodge had ten beers on tap including Guinness, Fat Tire, and Alaskan Amber.

Hmm, "ten beers." Where have I heard that name before.......

Bob Morrow #4204
post #10 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:12 am

2. Steve and Mia
4. Bruce and Denise
6. Bob and Jeanie
7. (Cancel) Nathan, may be next year it is all about time . Ride safe
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki
13. Wayne and Pam
post #11 of 32 Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 5:06 pm

Talking Getting close!

Six weeks until the Yosemite Ride. There are still some cabins available at Evergreen Lodge. The runoff has started and Glacier Point will be open. Fun, photos, frivolity. Oh yeah, lots of riding too! Sign up soon or you'll be sitting this one out. Who knows, a Saturday night poker game might even break out!

2. Steve and Mia
3. Dustin
5. Bruce and Denise
7. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki
13. Wayne and Pam

Bob Morrow #4204
post #12 of 32 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:07 am

2. Steve and Mia
3. Dustin
5. Bruce and Denise
7. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki
13. Wayne and Pam: Canx--- Conflicting Work trip to Utah. We hope to make the next one!

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #13 of 32 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Bummer, Dude. Hope you can make July or August!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #14 of 32 Old May 12th, 2007, 11:53 am

Tioga Pass and Glacier Point Open Today!

Usually Yosemite National Park officials make every effort to clear the heavy snowpack on the Glacier Point road before Memorial Day. Often the facilities at Glacier Point are not fully operational until sometime in June. On the other hand, it has been numerous seasons since the Tioga Pass Road (CA 120) was open connecting the Western and Eastern slopes of the Sierras prior to June 1st. Due to the lighter snowpack this year both road are officially opening at 1200 noon today for the summer season! These photos were taken yesterday during a preview access for members of the Yosemite Association. It's still a bit brisk but the views are spectacular while the runoff has most waterfalls at maximum flow down in the valley. Could be time to consider joining us if you're not already on the list!

Mt Dana and Gibbs from Tuolumne Meadows

Tenaya Lake and Mt. Conness

Gaylor Ridge from Dana Meadows

Bob Morrow #4204
post #15 of 32 Old May 15th, 2007, 12:46 pm

2. Steve and Mia
3. Dustin
5. Bruce and Denise
7. Bob and Jeanie
9. Jim and Marianne
11. Mark and Vicki
12. Larry Morris
13. Carrie
14. Dave

Bob Morrow #4204
post #16 of 32 Old May 16th, 2007, 8:03 pm

The Long Way Round

Been hearing from a number of very excited riders ready to start their Yosemite experience by taking all day off on Friday, June 1st. With the fortuitous early opening of the Tioga Pass Road I suggest we take the "long way round" in reaching the Evergreen Lodge by Friday afternoon. Anyone game for a rally point in Jackson? Ride up the hill on 88 to Hope Valley, south on 89 through Markleeville, down to 395, south again along the eastern Sierras to the Tioga Pass Road at Lee Vining, make a big right turn and run 120 all the way through Yosemite National Park dodging the bear cubs until we get to the Hetch Hetchy cutoff on the other side, wind eight miles through the close pines pulling into the Evergreen Lodge an hour or so before dinner? Photo Ops, frequent breaks, lunch along the wild highway.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

FYI: Heard all the cabins are now booked out but camping is still available. I also know a single guy with a two bedroom cabin willing share and split the cost. Let me know.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #17 of 32 Old May 17th, 2007, 1:00 am

Sounds good to me. What time are we meeting in Jackson and where?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #18 of 32 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Yup... We are IN!!!!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #19 of 32 Old May 28th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Been hearing from a number of very excited riders ready to start their Yosemite experience by taking all day off on Friday, June 1st. With the fortuitous early opening of the Tioga Pass Road I suggest we take the "long way round" in reaching the Evergreen Lodge by Friday afternoon. Anyone game for a rally point in Jackson? Ride up the hill on 88 to Hope Valley, south on 89 through Markleeville, down to 395, south again along the eastern Sierras to the Tioga Pass Road at Lee Vining, make a big right turn and run 120 all the way through Yosemite National Park dodging the bear cubs until we get to the Hetch Hetchy cutoff on the other side, wind eight miles through the close pines pulling into the Evergreen Lodge an hour or so before dinner? Photo Ops, frequent breaks, lunch along the wild highway.
The Rally Point is 0830 Friday morning at the "Its a Grind" Coffee House at Hwy 99 and Twin Cities(104) road. Wheels up at 0900 full of coffee, empty bladders, and topped off fuel tanks.

310 miles to Evergreen Lodge the long way round!

FYI: Next Expresso Rider weekend is July 13-15. Sundial Bridge, Hwy 36, Eureka, Samoa Cookhouse, and the Redwood Forest.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #20 of 32 Old May 29th, 2007, 1:18 am

Eureka

We will be watching for the Eureka ride. A trip to the coast during the heat of summer will be a great relief. Highway 299 is one of the nicest drives I can remember, although it was over 30 years back, and someone else drove. The car however, was one of the sweetest Mustangs a person could have the pleasure of experiencing.

Have a good trip to Yosemite.

Roger and Kim Sanders
1999 R1100RT.
post #21 of 32 Old May 29th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Expresso to the Coast

299 is a nice ride and you will certainly have the opportunity to return by that route. We plan to take 36 over to the coast. 36 is rated as one of the top five motorcycle roads in the country. Most plan to head south from Eureka through the Redwoods and Avenue of the Giants. Lunch in Willits and split up from there. You are certainly welcome to join in. I will post more next week after the Yosemite Ride.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #22 of 32 Old May 31st, 2007, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Less than 24 hrs

For anyone interested in a day ride, Yosemite is not that far away. If you are so inclined you are welcome to join us at the lodge Saturday moring for a days worth of riding through the park.

Should have great scenery and weather.

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #23 of 32 Old May 31st, 2007, 5:53 pm

Hey Steve/Bob and Company

Heres to a great weekend.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #24 of 32 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Great week end

What a spectacular week-end. 14 riders on 11 bikes and the lodge and Yosemite could not have been more glorious.

Great time had by all and lots of pictures. Here are just four of mine, but others will post more shortly.

Keep an eye on the posts as Expresso Riders II will be posting the July ride shortly and should be just as much fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	12146   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	12147   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	12148   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	12149   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	12150  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	12152  

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

Last edited by SandM; Jun 3rd, 2007 at 6:36 pm.
post #25 of 32 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:59 pm

Awesome.... just, AWESOME!

Great riding, great people, great food, great scenery, great fun... and did I mention GREAT RIDING!!!!!

Mr. TallyHo... a job well done... You hit the ball outta the park on this one... And some (not all) of the pics to prove it!

Having a prob with my wed site, so I'm on the phone w/TS 2-morrow...

But this could not have been a more fun ride. Hat's off to you sir! And I think the rest of the group would agree... it was just AWESOME!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00400a.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	12165   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00407a.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	12166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00412a.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	12167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00429a.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	12168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00433a.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	12169  

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #26 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:02 am

Almost forgot....

The group ride mascot had a great time also...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00345a.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	12170  

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #27 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Hello campers...

I had major headaches with my own site today... I wanted to get these pics out ASAP... SO I had to break down and do the Photobucket thingy...

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...osemite%20BMW/

Just cut-n-paste in a browser... You should see all 115 of the digitals. If anyone wants a hard copy of any or all of the pix, just PM me and include your mailing and I'll crank up a CD-Rom and mail it out...

It was a great ride... The pics tell the tale... We went, we saw, we all returned safe and sound!

Let's do it again real soon!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #28 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Thanks for posting some pics. Looks like everyone had a great time.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #29 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Isn't it your turn, Nelson? Sign up for the next one in July!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #30 of 32 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 8:44 pm

I leave for Europe on the 18th I may need that weekend to finish things up. I would have to miss that Friday. But its still over a month away who knows.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #31 of 32 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:58 am

Here's a few interesting snaps from our set. See if you can find the real "Smokey."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN03770450HI2007.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	12196   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN03830456HI2007.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	12197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN03850458HI2007.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	12198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN03890462HI2007.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	12199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN04020475HI2007.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	12200  

Name:	DSCN03950468HI2007.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	12201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN03860459HI2007.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	12202  

Bob Morrow #4204
post #32 of 32 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Miss-read

It was pointed out to me that my line in the original post was not worded correctly and was miss interpeted as only wanting couples to ride.

This was not my intention and the line "This is not an organized ride, but we encourage all COUPLES, single or two up, to join us for the breath taking scenery. " should have been worded "This is not an organized ride, but we encourage all RIDERS, single or two up, to join us for the breath taking scenery."

I encourage all riders to take place in these open ened invitations and the more the merrier!!!

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in