Motorcycle-specific trailer rental in Sac area? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Motorcycle-specific trailer rental in Sac area?

Did a quick search in this forum but didn't see anything... what do you do if you need to transport a pair of 'bikes somewhere with your car/truck? Do you have your own trailer? Do you rent a trailer?

I've been debating buying a trailer for taking a pair of 'bikes somewhere (like visiting relatives in FL) so I can ride while there... I wouldn't mind riding my 'bike the whole way, but my wife & kid aren't too keen on that. The two-bike Kendon trailers are really nice, but I'm not sure I'm up for spending that kind of money for something I *might* do once or twice a year. If I need to move a single 'bike around, I do have a little util trailer with a chock that I can use.

I was curious if you know of a place in the Sac area that rents something like the two-bike Kendon trailers? Or is the only option a U-Haul "flat bed" trailer? (I know they rent a motorcycle trailer, but it only holds one 'bike).

Thanks for any leads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:01 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

U-Haul. $14.95 (I think) per day. They have m/c specific trailers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
U-Haul. $14.95 (I think) per day. They have m/c specific trailers.
That hold 2 'bikes?

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:07 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Ooops. One.

You can buy a flat bed trailer add a couple of removeable pingle chocks and justify the purcase by saying it is a dual purpose trailer (hauling stuff to the landfill, or moving furniture etc.)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:09 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter
Did a quick search in this forum but didn't see anything... what do you do if you need to transport a pair of 'bikes somewhere with your car/truck? Do you have your own trailer? Do you rent a trailer?

I've been debating buying a trailer for taking a pair of 'bikes somewhere (like visiting relatives in FL) so I can ride while there... I wouldn't mind riding my 'bike the whole way, but my wife & kid aren't too keen on that. The two-bike Kendon trailers are really nice, but I'm not sure I'm up for spending that kind of money for something I *might* do once or twice a year. If I need to move a single 'bike around, I do have a little util trailer with a chock that I can use.

I was curious if you know of a place in the Sac area that rents something like the two-bike Kendon trailers? Or is the only option a U-Haul "flat bed" trailer? (I know they rent a motorcycle trailer, but it only holds one 'bike).

Thanks for any leads!
I have my own trailer. I would never put 20-50k worth of bikes on a rental trailer. If you alreay have a small utility trailer, then sell it and buy a slightly bigger one.
You one need about a 6x10' trailer to hold 2 bikes. They're on Craigs List all the time...
There is ia 6x10' on there right now for 1475. For a couple hundred more you can get a new one...
You can buy a new one at Pac West for a couple thousand...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Well drat... I kinda like the idea of renting a good "use-specific" trailer for carrying the 2 bikes for a (relatively) short time, rather than purchasing another ~$1500+ trailer (and then having to outfit it properly and find a place to store it). I suppose I could sell the small utility trailer, but that is exceptionally handy and can easily be towed by my compact car...

Ah well... decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the input!
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:31 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Your thought process is flawed.

Follow me:

Honey we need to sell the small trailer to get this larger one to haul the bikes.

Oh by the way, to tow it, we need this new/used truck. Then the whole family can do things together.

See. There is always a way around problems.

Ducking for cover.

Raffy
post #8 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't like trucks... they're no fun to drive...
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter

Unfortunately, I don't like trucks... they're no fun to drive...
Here's what you need:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...yenne-turbo-s/

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
He he... I should have worded it correctly... " I don't like trucks that I can afford... "
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 8:58 pm

6x10 covered trailer a good choice

I have a 6x10 covered trailer, and when I got the bikes I added flush tie down hooks into the floor that have metal backing plates for extra strength. I bolted them down, and put automotive glue between the plates and the plywood floor so these puppies are not going anywhere.

I put 4 hooks in the floor, 2 front and 2 back so I can tie 1 bike. I guess with an extra set in the middle I could fit two bikes, but so far have only hauled one at a time.

I did not get the door on the right front side that is an option on some trailers, and if I ever replace this one I will get the extra door. It makes it much easier to get to something in the front when the trailer is loaded.

Mine did not come with a roof vent either, but I bought one and installed it. If you are not up to cutting and framing a big hole in the roof, buy it already installed. In the Sacramento area, you will need the vent in the summer.

You could probably tow it reasonably well with a 3800-5000 lb capacity tow vehicle.

It is worth it to have your bikes covered and locked, to keep out the weather, and prying nosy eyes away from your bike(s).

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Toy Hauler

I needed at trailer like you are looking for two years ago. I rented a Uhaul flat bed and was not comfortable with it as it really was not rated for that type of hauling.

After I got back home I found a place who specializes in these types of custom trailers for all types of toy hauling and thought they only sold them (yes that was my mistake, thinking).

On a lark I called them when I got home and found out they also rent them. They have single, double and quad carriers along with other fun trailers. It's fun just to go and see what they have.

It is a little distance from where you live, but since your going to Florida, Tracy would be a snap. Give them a call and see what you can find.

Travin Toys (no, it's not misspelled)
21200 S. Paradise Road
Tracy

(209)833-9111

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #13 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Is this the one off of 205 going west after you make the transition from I-5? That business has grown over the last 15 years.

Raffy
post #14 of 16 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 1:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
Give them a call and see what you can find.
Awesome, thanks SandM!! I'll give 'em a ring!

Florida was just a "fer instance" rather than a "fer shur"... we haven't made any firm plans... which highlights the reason I was trying to avoid buying at the moment... we may or may not be doing this kind of thing regularly, and if we do, it may be the last time too... would like to "try before buy" and even then not buy unless necessary.

Dan-A, I can't argue with you regarding the benefits of a nice covered trailer, but it sounds like that would require at least a small SUV (or a full sized car) which we don't have (and want to avoid getting). Our car will do 2500lbs which will handle an open trailer like a Kendon plus a pair of 'bikes (like our RT and our R) without any problems.

I suppose if this kind of traveling becomes more regular, I could move up to a Prevost with a paint matched toy hauler...
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 8:29 am

That's it

Yes Raffy, that's the place. Not the easiest to get to since you can see it from the freeway, but there is no exit for it, but well worth the trip. 100's of speciality and custom made towing trailers.

Just adult Tonka toys!

Steve and Mia

'05 R1200RT
'05 R1150R

post #16 of 16 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:55 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks.

All he needs is a freeway off ramp (it will come when the pressure to build more houses brings 'communities' to his location. The housing growth on I-5 before the 205 is incredible. They are building houses at the rate of baking cookies.

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in