New Year's Day Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb New Year's Day Ride

My BK chapter is having its annual New Yearís Day ride to Aliceís. I put this invitation out last year, but heavy rains, and flooding here in Napa stopped the plans. This year, at least so far, the weather looks good.

See http://www.bkca7.com/ for details. And hereís my email to my fellow BKís in the Napa area if any of you wish to join us for coffee and for the ride down the peninsula:

Quote:
Weather.com is calling for sunny skies on New Yearís day, although that forecast can change, I figure it isnít too early to make some tentative plans for the ride to Aliceís.

For anyone wishing to meet in Napa, some of us will be meeting for coffee at the south Starbucks (253 Soscol) at 0830. Coffee and verbal flatulence until 0900ish, then ride to Aliceís. The route down will roughly be I 80, I 280, SR 84. Maybe SR 35, to SR 92, to SR 1 and the Golden Gate on the way home?
Even if the back room for lunch gets too crowed, we can always grab a cup of coffee and BS in the parking lot, then go ride. So, once again you all are invited. I know it might be too early for some of you right after New Yearís Eve, , maybe too far for others. But I wanted all my Posse friends to know they are welcome as my guest.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 9:02 am

You guys will be passing through my town at about 9:30AM. That gives me another 30 minutes to recover from the night before! I'll see what I can do to clear my honey do list in the prior two days and join you.

How big a group should I be looking for on the freeway? If'n I make it, I'll be lurking on the Solano Ave overcrossing (just after the McBryde exit) in Richmond...

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #3 of 21 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
How big a group should I be looking for on the freeway?
So far the RSVP list consists of ďprobabliesĒ and ďmaybesĒ. But if the weather is good, it should be me on my blue RT, a blue FJR, a red GS, a black Ulysses, and a two-tone blue Electra Glide.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #4 of 21 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Tom,

Put down Mary Lou and I as a maybe/possiblity.... we are going to plan it but not sure if we are going to have kids over for new years....

Mike Harrold

post #5 of 21 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2243
Tom,

Put down Mary Lou and I as a maybe/possiblity.... we are going to plan it but not sure if we are going to have kids over for new years....
10-4, Mike!

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #6 of 21 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:35 am

Thumbs up We've got a couple Blue Knights in the SAWDOG--Come for a Ride!

Tom:

If the weather is favorable, Weezie & I will be riding to Alice's. We'll be meeting interested folks at the "Long's Drug Store" Parking Lot at the Intersection of Olympic & California Blvds in Walnut Creek.

The plan is to meet at "Long's" at 9:15 a.m., and to leave that location at 9:30 a.m., SHARP! If you'll be joining me, make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Our route will be S/B Hwy 680 to Hwy 580. Exit Hwy 680 onto W/B Hwy 580. Continue W/B Hwy 580 to W/B Hwy 237(?) to S/B Hwy 880. Proceed S/B Hwy 880 to Hwy 92. Exit Hwy 880 onto W/B Hwy 92. Proceed W/B Hwy 92, over the San Mateo Bridge, to Hwy 280. Exit W/B Hwy 92 onto S/B Hwy 280. Continue S/B Hwy 280 to the Woodside Exit/Hwy 84. Continue W/B Hwy 84 through Woodside and up the hill to Skylonda and Alice's Restaurant. There is minimal parking at Alice's but PLENTY of parking across the street in the parking lot.

If there's a forecast of rain, Louise & I will be driving, because both Hwy 84 and Skyline get pretty slick when they're wet and mossy, especially if it's cold outside.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

Last edited by jfredriksson; Dec 28th, 2006 at 12:42 am.
post #7 of 21 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 2:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfredriksson
Tom:

If the weather is favorable, Weezie & I will be riding to Alice's. We'll be meeting interested folks at the "Long's Drug Store" Parking Lot at the Intersection of Olympic & California Blvds in Walnut Creek.

The plan is to meet at "Long's" at 9:15 a.m., and to leave that location at 9:30 a.m., SHARP! If you'll be joining me, make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Our route will be S/B Hwy 680 to Hwy 580. Exit Hwy 680 onto W/B Hwy 580. Continue W/B Hwy 580 to W/B Hwy 237(?) to S/B Hwy 880. Proceed S/B Hwy 880 to Hwy 92. Exit Hwy 880 onto W/B Hwy 92. Proceed W/B Hwy 92, over the San Mateo Bridge, to Hwy 280. Exit W/B Hwy 92 onto S/B Hwy 280. Continue S/B Hwy 280 to the Woodside Exit/Hwy 84. Continue W/B Hwy 84 through Woodside and up the hill to Skylonda and Alice's Restaurant. There is minimal parking at Alice's but PLENTY of parking across the street in the parking lot.

If there's a forecast of rain, Louise & I will be driving, because both Hwy 84 and Skyline get pretty slick when they're wet and mossy, especially if it's cold outside.
Hey John,

Iíll be sticking with the 80 into the City, then south down the peninsula on 280 to 84 route. But thanks for the offer to tag along; weíll see you at Aliceís for sure. So far, the weather is holding at sunny and low 60ís for a high. (Probably Ďcause Joe is going, huh? )

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #8 of 21 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Our route will be S/B Hwy 680 to Hwy 580. Exit Hwy 680 onto W/B Hwy 580. Continue W/B Hwy 580 to W/B Hwy 237(?) ...
That would be Hwy 238 not 237. HTH!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #9 of 21 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Thanks, Bob; I wasn't sure! Hopefully, we'll see you on New Years Day.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #10 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
For anyone wishing to meet in Napa, some of us will be meeting for coffee at the south Starbucks (253 Soscol) at 0830. Coffee and verbal flatulence until 0900ish, then ride to Aliceís. The route down will roughly be I 80, I 280, SR 84. Maybe SR 35, to SR 92, to SR 1 and the Golden Gate on the way home?
Tom;
A great day for the ride. Maybe the traffic will be light. I will meet you at 253 Soscol Ave in Napa at ~8:30a (NLT than 9:00) (pic below). I will be coming from Roseville via 128.

Look forward to another ride (and I will mount the Video camera).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	9042  
post #11 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Okay Mark, look forward to seeing you again.

A reminder for anyone going with either Capt Johnís group from Co Co County, or with my group from Napa County, both the Sam Mateo and Bay bridges collect a $3 toll from westbound traffic. ---- Except Monday through Friday between 5 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3 p.m.-7 p.m. (6 p.m. for San Mateo) when using the carpool lane. But I donít know if the carpool lane exclusion is in effect on a major holiday. Bob, Capt John, do one of you know?

If you don't have "FasTrak", which a couple of us do, you might want to have $3 ready just in case.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #12 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 6:54 pm

Talking Bridge Toll Increase

Tom:

I believe the bridge tolls are increasing throughout the Bay Area bridges, except for the Golden Gate Bridge, tomorrow. The new toll, starting on 01/01/07, is $4.00 AND I don't think we can use carpool privedges on Holidays--I'm not sure about that one!

See you tomorrow at Alice's, although considering our departure times and locations, we might merge together by the time we get to Woodside.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #13 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 7:13 pm

Hey Tom,
May join you for Coffee if I get up early enough tomorrow. Doubt if I ride to Alice's though, to much return holiday traffic to enjoy the ride.
Everyone enjoy New Years Eve safely!

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #14 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Okay guys, thanks.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #15 of 21 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 8:02 pm

Tom - The closest I can find is this:

50 Corridor - Mike Wiley - Community Relations - Sacramento RT
Ho, Ho, Ho - it's still an HOV lane even on Christmas Day, New Year's Day
According to Caltrans, when a holiday falls Monday through Friday, High Occupancy Vehicle lane rules stay in affect. That means that Christmas Day and New Year's Day, both on Wednesday this year, are not HOV holidays!

"The hours of operation for carpool lanes are in effect in accordance with the hours and days posted on the sign," says David Anderson, spokesperson for Caltrans District 3. "Currently, the hours of operation are in effect Monday through Friday in the Sacramento area. If a holiday happens to fall on a Monday through Friday, the carpool lanes guidelines are still in operation for that day."

So, maybe if the HOV are enforced the free bridge toll for motors is in force too? Ya think?

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS

post #16 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 5:41 pm

Talking Great Ride, Great Company and Plenty of Food!

Mark & Bob, it was wonderful seeing you folks, today. Sorry that Mike wasn't able to join us at Alice's.

Tom, as always, you did a masterful job of sheparding the flock to the vittles.

See you all soon AND have a Happy New Years!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 9:42 pm

Sorry guys and gals that Mary Lou and I could not make it... was on the road at 0630 ... but the fog was bad.... stopped at the local Starbucks ... just so happens that my daughter was working there today.... got some coffee and some breakfast...
but by the time it was 0715 and we were never going to make Napa... and it was still foggy....

so turned back home and took a nap...

maybe we can make some other events... keep me informed...

Mike Harrold

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:11 pm

Mike, you should have ridden a few miles out of Folsom - no fog at all in Sacramento today.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:51 pm

Yes a great day for a ride....

Mike - sorry you and Mary Lou could not make it. I left Roseville at 7:00, and cleared the fog passing the airport on I-5. It took a little longer to get the "flashing snow flake" on my bike to go away.

Capt John - it was good see you and the gang again. The food was great and I added another "way point" on my GPS to my growing list of great spots to stop.

Tom - Thanks again for posting another great ride.

I posted more PICs on my website (http://kc6tew.com/dailyrides/2007blu...ightsalice.htm).

Note: Due to Pinnacle Systems (my video editing software) not supporting Microsoft's Vista operating system yet, I am unable to edit the video from my bikecam. The Pinnacle websites states the end of February for Vista support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	9082   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	9083  
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Tom, as always, you did a masterful job of sheparding the flock to the vittles.
Thanks for the kind words, Capt John. And right back at you for leading your group.

But with the riders I had behind me it was more like --- get going or get run over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2243
maybe we can make some other events... keep me informed...
Will do Mike. Iím planning on a dual sport ride for the chapter this spring/early summer. I doubt Iíll get a big turn out, as thatís not a typical BK event. But what the heck, itíll be something different, and I want to give it a try. Iíll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markengland
I posted more PICs on my website (http://kc6tew.com/dailyrides/2007bl...nightsalice.htm).
Thanks for the link, Mark. I passed it on to the chapter members.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

Last edited by tlash; Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:48 am. Reason: Typed Mike instead of Mark. Sorry Mark!
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:49 am

Thumbs up Dual Sport Ride

Tom:

I think you'll be surprised at the support you'll get for a dual sport ride. Barry has a dual sport, and actually raced supermoto last year. Jimmy rides a KLR and Larry, my guest yesterday, rides s Suzuki DR, Jeff and his wife both ride R1200GS's and that's only the 5 that immediately comes to mind.

I think that you'll tap into a different segment of our 150 Chapter members with a dual sport ride. What I've noticed about our Chapter is that there are 4 distinct groups of members, at this juncture: There are those that prefer coast to coast riding, that are mainly retired and think nothing about taking a 3-4 week motorcycle trip. Then we have the medium distance riders that will ride the "Blue Butt" or do an overnighter to Bishop, and we have the day riders. Interestingly enough, we don't see these groups comingling, except at our Chapter parties e.g. Christmas Party, Sweetheart Ride and End of Summer Picnic. The non street riding motorcycle owners in the Chapter will ususally make the parties, and that's about it.

I think you'll tap into a 5th group with your dual sport activity. I believe there are members that enjoy saying that they're a Blue Knights, but are dirt riders or prefer riding predominently in the dirt. Heck, you could sponsor an off road, enduro type event, and probably get some participation. You'd probably tap into a group of members that I've never even met!

You'll do great, and I know everyone will have a wonderful time.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in