couple of punks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:19 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

couple of punks

Aaaaargh!!

They busted my driver window on the pick up around 3 am and grabbed the Garmin 2610 from under the seat. The alarm went off too and there is an indicator that the truck has an alarm.

I don't leave the GPS on the dash when parked. Either I was followed after someone saw it while I was driving or they saw that something was plugged to the 12v outlet and the cable led to under the driver seat.

They left everything else intact.

Now I have to deal with broken glass and replacement. Won't bother the insurance company since my deductible is $500.

That's three times this year someone has messed with my truck.

1) stole the hood's air dam with the Dodge Ram logo.

2) stole diesel from the auxiliary gas tank (can't find a locking gas cap for it)

3) busted window and stolen GPS.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:46 am

Raffy: Sounds like security lights might be in order. I bet each event was perpetrated by someone who lives within one mile of your house.
post #3 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:52 am

Sounds like it's time to start useing one of those M1 Gerands.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:42 am

Since the vehicle was parked your deductible may be waived, here in Michigan if it was hit while parked it's waived, I'm not sure about vandelilsm and theft though, I guess it depends on your policy. Since you pay for insurance it's worth a call to your adjuster to inquire.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #5 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:00 am

That sucks, Raffy. Sorry to hear about that.

Perhaps you could check with some of your distributor/manufacturer contacts and pick up one of those vehicle theft-deterrent systems (self-destruction device) like James Bond had on his Lotus Esprit -- bad guy breaks into the car and the whole vehicle explodes into a zillion pieces, taking the bad guy with it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:58 am
Super Moderator

That really sucks! There aren't many things lower than a thief, and I agree with other comments that it's probably someone who lives nearby and sees it there regularly. I also think a call to your insurance is worth it, considering it was parked and this was a break-in, not an accident. If they do anything it's better than eating all the cost out of your pocket.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:21 am

As everyone has said, that Sucks!

You probably already have someone in mind to replace the glass but if not these guys are very professional and had a really good price for the windshield on the wifes car.

Hope you and the family had a great Christmas anyway.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #8 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:51 am

Talking

A friend of mine wired a model T coil to pressure sensitive switches on the driver & passenger seats of his '58 Corvette. I'm not sure how he disguised the contact points on the seats, but he did try it out on an unsuspecting "victim" and it worked exceptionally well!

Food for thought, yes?

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #9 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:51 am

Usually kids

The kids escape from their parents house and roam the streets at night..

Did you hear the alarm go off ?

I'd be willing to bet that when you talk to the police they'd have a pretty good idea who it was although they probably won't do anything about it...

And you just can't sit up all night waiting for it to happen again...

Put some lights on the truck at night and point a video cam on it...

Use an old camcorder or something like that.

Hook it up to an old computer.

I have a program called "Thief" That will look at the video and capture frames when the picture changes...

It worked well at my house when I was having problems with my ex's son..
It's only a few K so I'll zip it up and email it to you...

If you need any parts for this let me know . I probably have some laying around the house...

Good luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:53 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Aaaaargh!!

They busted my driver window on the pick up around 3 am and grabbed the Garmin 2610 from under the seat. The alarm went off too and there is an indicator that the truck has an alarm.

I don't leave the GPS on the dash when parked. Either I was followed after someone saw it while I was driving or they saw that something was plugged to the 12v outlet and the cable led to under the driver seat.

They left everything else intact.

Now I have to deal with broken glass and replacement. Won't bother the insurance company since my deductible is $500.

That's three times this year someone has messed with my truck.

1) stole the hood's air dam with the Dodge Ram logo.

2) stole diesel from the auxiliary gas tank (can't find a locking gas cap for it)

3) busted window and stolen GPS.
You want the Posse to form up and ride?

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #11 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Cleared everything out of the center console right away. then waited till daylight. went out and cleared all the glass out of the interior and window channel (at least the ones I could get to).

GPS is under homeowner's policy since it is not OEM. I have a $500 deductible there too. Not worth it to call them up also (same company as the car insurance).

Safelite is the one Patty used last month for the windshield crack. That's where I have to take it. Will be calling them in a few minutes.

Raffy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #12 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:27 am

Raffy,

Let me know if you need to leave the truck and need a ride - I'm off today.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #13 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:27 am

Most likely somebody saw it and decided to "come back for it"
so as others have already pointed out they don't live far away.

I live in modest house in the older part of St. Pete, nice neighborhood, red brick streets etc.
There's no crime here unless it "comes" from somewhere else.
I see "them" (the boys from the "hood") occasionally walking or riding their bicycles
down the middle of the street looking into the windows of all the parked vehicles,
or in the middle of the night driving real slow.
It's obvious what's going on, but if I were to confront them or even just say something,
I'm considered a racist and all of the "laws" are against me.

It's been several years since all of my tools were stolen out of my truck box,
they just pulled up next to it at 4 am pried it open and loaded them up,
in the 30 seconds it took me to get outside they were rounding the corner,
hindsight tells me it's just as well as I probably would have shot them,
and it's a hellova lot easier to buy $500 worth of tools
than deal with the repercussions of something like that,
but you know, I'm still "looking" for that car.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:34 am

I hate crooks

Mike Harrold

post #15 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
"Cause justice is the one thing
You should always find
You gotta saddle up your boys
You gotta draw a hard line
When the gunsmoke settles
We'll sing a victory tune
And we'll all meet back
At the local saloon"

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #16 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

All done. Got my new side window in. In and out in 58 minutes.

Time to get the SP III out from being mothballed. I'll just have to learn to leave the GPS at home unless I really need it.

Thanks for all your comments.

Raffy
post #17 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
That idea sounds intriguing! It might go something like this:

The Posse on their GSs waits nearby, at both ends of the block. If this happens again, the little varmints will have the fear of God put into them when a bunch of men on bad-a$$ bikes block their departure. Raffy is then called. He steps out from his front door with fog rolling out behind him; Halloween-type recorded screams can be heard coming from inside the house. Then, the kids recognize the "Jason" mask. The last thing they hear before they pass out from fear is the sound of a chain saw...

At least we can dream!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Hey Raffy,

Ever think about just getting rid of that truck?

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #19 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Nope unless I sell truck and trailer as a package deal.

Raffy
post #20 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Punks

Sorry to hear ya got ripped off Raffy. They got me too. I need a new side window on my truck. They got my wife's purse and keys to everything. I'm sure they saw her leave the truck without a purse. So I'm changing locks and canceling everything under the sun. I'm thinking of getting a new pistol just in case they wanna come over.

Mark C.
'01 R1100RT
Lodi, CA

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #21 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Ouch.

Sorry to hear that Mark. Call the banks and CC companies. Change locks etc. In retrospect, mine is a minor inconvenience compared to your episode.

Raffy
post #22 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft and damage to your truck, Raffy. Having just had my house broken into, my car stolen and crashed, and my gun stolen I am especially sensitive. I am trying to be understanding of young people who resort to this type of behavior but frankly my ability to do so has reached an end. I hope they are caught and punished.
post #23 of 23 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 6:36 am

Kids that are doing this stuff never got a whuppin' growing up. Proabably didn't have a dad around either or a set of parents that would not pay any attention to them. SO works in the court system and brings stories like this home all the time.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in