Brrrrrrrrr - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Brrrrrrrrr

Rode the K1200S this morning to work. Brrrrrrrrr. There was frost on a lot of stuff.

I didn't even know how cold it was until I got to work. I was told between 29-30 degrees. I knew it was colder than Saturday. I could tell the difference.

Today I had the BMW leather jacket and the Warm and safe heated liner. Firstgear HT overpants and BMW gauntlet gloves. After about one mile, I plugged the liner in. Took the long way to work to get the engine warmed up. By the time I hit the 2nd mile on the freeway the liner was doing it's thing.

Got some strange looks when I got to work and a lot of aren't you cold questions. Only told one person of the heated liner trick.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:40 am

This is the first day this winter I have not ridden to work, have to do my Christmas shopping today. I always feel like I'm cheating, when I take the 4 wheeled vehicle to work.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:43 am
Super Moderator

Yep, it was 32 when I left my house for work but was up to a balmy 36 by the time I got to the office. I was happy to have the heated vest, grips and seat this morning!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Ice everywhere

It was 27 when I left home and about 31 at work. The ice on the windshield and mirrors did not go away. I'm thinking about installing my heated helmet. The grips did melt the ice pretty quickly. The starter just spun on the first button push, engaged on the second. It ran at hi idle for awhile and the temp gauge never got to half way.

Joe

Last edited by ldrider; Dec 18th, 2006 at 2:21 pm.
post #5 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
How many miles on your bike, Joe? I recently started my bike one cold morning, then stopped to fuel it up 1/2 mile later. After fueling, the starter just spun several times, so I eventually just push started the bike. The next 1,000 miles and several starts were fine and I've not had the problem repeat.

I figure it's my starter sprag clutch starting to stick, compounded by the cold weather. I need to get some CD-2 run through it soon.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Pulled out of Cleveland Saturday morning, around 8am . . . 28°.
Got Gerbing's?
post #7 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Very cold and old

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
How many miles on your bike, Joe?

I figure it's my starter sprag clutch starting to stick, compounded by the cold weather. I need to get some CD-2 run through it soon.

I think it may be time for CD-2 also...

Joe
post #8 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Ever since I rotated off bikes and back to swing shift patrol, I’ve been riding my 650 GS to and from work. Being the only year ‘round rider, I get away with parking in the interior parking lot, in the covered spaces for the motors. Nice perk.

Coldest so far this year was just this last Saturday night (Sunday AM really) – 29 degrees on the way home.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #9 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Last Monday (a week ago today) it was a balmy 15 degrees (Fahrenheit) when I rode to work. For some reason, just knowing the Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and socks are available makes me not want to break them out. My thinking is: As soon as I do that it will get really cold, and stay that way!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Last Monday (a week ago today) it was a balmy 15 degrees (Fahrenheit) when I rode to work. For some reason, just knowing the Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and socks are available makes me not want to break them out. My thinking is: As soon as I do that it will get really cold, and stay that way!
I don't think your theory is valid Howard. I wore all 4 pieces of Gerbing's all day Saturday. When I left home it was 28°, but when I returned it was 51°!!! And that was 1:17am in the morning! No Gerbing's needed (thank God!)...but it was nice knowing that I had them on if needed. Just turn the knobs until lightly toasted.
post #11 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Oh yes I would say it was very cold this morning. I took my trainee on a long ride to Stinsen Beach, San Francisco, cross the Oakland Bay Bridge, back up I-80 to home. All in all it was a nice cold ride until we got to the coast...

Ride Safe,

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #12 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 8:25 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
..... Just turn the knobs until lightly toasted.
Do the knobs look like this??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 35 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Do the knobs look like this??

Never seen one of those!
post #14 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:01 am

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr take two.

27 degrees on the way to work this morning, not suppose to get this cold here in Sacramento. Well at least the high today is going to be in the 50's and dry.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Last edited by amarider; Dec 19th, 2006 at 12:18 pm.
post #15 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:49 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

yup. My finger tips started to feel the pain from the cold (no heated grips). Time to invest in a heated glove.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #16 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:09 am

I installed heated grips on my Ninja...well-worth the $30. Actually, I installed Hot Grips.
post #17 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by hschisler

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I don't think your theory is valid Howard. I wore all 4 pieces of Gerbing's all day Saturday. When I left home it was 28°, but when I returned it was 51°!!! And that was 1:17am in the morning! No Gerbing's needed (thank God!)...but it was nice knowing that I had them on if needed. Just turn the knobs until lightly toasted.
Let me clarify: that's no theory, that's wishful thinking on my part! Essentially, I'm saying if I can ride at 15 degrees without my Gerbing gear then I can ride with them when it gets really cold. On the other hand, halfway to work -- at 15 degrees -- I was wishing I had that stuff on!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:24 am

Time is the real opponent when it comes to riding in cold temps. Thirty minutes or less, who cares? But much more than 30 minutes, and I'm gearing up. The colder you allow your hands and feet to get, the slower your reaction times, and motor skills are compromised. Doesn't sound like a good combo to me.

FWIW, "cold" is a relative term. Depends on the bike you're riding, the speeds you're riding, day or night, and how long you're riding.
post #19 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 1:18 pm

I think I have a set

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
yup. My finger tips started to feel the pain from the cold (no heated grips). Time to invest in a heated glove.

Of grips in the garage.....let me check

Joe
post #20 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks. If this will work on the K1200S (should be the same grips) all I will need is an auxiliary switch.

Raffy
post #21 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Below freezing, time to put on more than a t-shirt under jacket.
I may look at some heated gear at the show in Cleveland
Rock
post #22 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:57 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Below freezing, time to put on more than a t-shirt under jacket.
I may look at some heated gear at the show in Cleveland
Rock
Raffy sells the warm and safe jackets...VERY nice stuff

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #23 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 7:41 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

At the bike show here in Northern California, Gerbings had a big booth. Very impressive, lot's of clothing to try on. Only problem was, only two people working the swamped booth, nothing in stock, everything was a special order at full retail plus handling/shipping and sales tax. No thanks, I'll deal with Raffy who knows what customer service is all about.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #24 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
Raffy sells the warm and safe jackets...VERY nice stuff
If he has them in Cleveland I'll make it a point to look at them.
Maybe hard pressed to change what I know works, I just scored a new goose down vest between my last post on this subject.
Rock
post #25 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:55 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
If he has them in Cleveland I'll make it a point to look at them.
Maybe hard pressed to change what I know works, I just scored a new goose down vest between my last post on this subject.
Rock
Raffy probably won't be in Cleveland

Here's his web-site - www.motogear4you.com

2 dozen Posse members can't be wrong...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #26 of 35 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I bought direct from Warm & Safe, because I wanted to try things on and get the right fit. Turns out the address they gave in San Diego was their house, but I got fitted and they were great to deal with.

And I really can't see the point of leaving it in the saddlebags. Maybe it's my thin SoCal blood, but if it's gonna be below 60 and I'm riding more than 1/2 hour or so, then the jacket is on and plugged in. It may not get turned on right away, but I know that I can just twist the knob and I'm warm.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 35 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 5:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Maybe it's my thin SoCal blood, but if it's gonna be below 60 and I'm riding more than 1/2 hour or so, then the jacket is on and plugged in. It may not get turned on right away, but I know that I can just twist the knob and I'm warm.
Man, that's T-shirt weather. Have a great weekend.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #28 of 35 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Talking

I guess this is the most heated argument for ATTHGATT (All The HEATED Gear All The Time).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #29 of 35 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 6:01 pm

No Shipping/Gerbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
At the bike show here in Northern California, Gerbings had a big booth. Very impressive, lot's of clothing to try on. Only problem was, only two people working the swamped booth, nothing in stock, everything was a special order at full retail plus handling/shipping and sales tax. No thanks, I'll deal with Raffy who knows what customer service is all about.
I bought the socks to go with my other Gerbing stuff. You are right, they were swamped, and it was all full price, but they gave me free shipping.

I used the stuff today, rode to Antioch for a meeting and back on the River Road , nice to have heated clothing, especially with no fairing.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #30 of 35 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
I bought the socks to go with my other Gerbing stuff. You are right, they were swamped, and it was all full price, but they gave me free shipping.

I used the stuff today, rode to Antioch for a meeting and back on the River Road , nice to have heated clothing, especially with no fairing.
Well if they had the stuff with them you wouldn't have to pay shipping anyway, so they really gave you nothing.
Whoever posted the thing about them being swamped and not having the gear on hand convinced me.
If I
m going to buy any I'll just order it from Raffy, they have been right on the ball with anything I've gotten from them.
Rock
post #31 of 35 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:20 am

Quote:
Well if they had the stuff with them you wouldn't have to pay shipping anyway, so they really gave you nothing.
Whoever posted the thing about them being swamped and not having the gear on hand convinced me.
If I
m going to buy any I'll just order it from Raffy, they have been right on the ball with anything I've gotten from them.
Rock
At last year's IMS in Cleveland the Gerbing booth was packed every time I went by. Basically had to stake out an employee and then nab them before he helped someone else. There was no line, pretty chaotic. Felt sorry for the employees, actually.

They had a ton of stuff in stock (products and sizes) and I picked up what I needed. They also spent a lot of time with me ensuring a good fit, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #32 of 35 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 6:50 pm

Livermore, on Livermore Av. just about a mile N of 580, Tuesday hit a spot that was 20 degrees, and on Wednesday the same spot warmed up a bit to 25. Pretty much cut through the gloves, the rest was nice and toasty though.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #33 of 35 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Just rode home in the rain. Stop and go in the rain sucks. The visor can't get enough air to clear out the excess water.

I have an idea to divert the rain from coming in when the visor is opened (to eliminate fogging). Hope I can make it work.

Raffy
post #34 of 35 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Just rode home in the rain. Stop and go in the rain sucks. The visor can't get enough air to clear out the excess water.

I have an idea to divert the rain from coming in when the visor is opened (to eliminate fogging). Hope I can make it work.
If you can make it work I'll buy it!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #35 of 35 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:34 pm

Pin Visor

Quote:

I got the pin visor for the Shoei RF1000 I wear and it actually works. You put the insert in it, they come clear or tinted and it doesn't fog up when closed.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in