Visiting the west - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Visiting the west

A friend & I will be visiting in the west soon (the intent of this ride is to see the redwoods) Eurika was our original destination, but we are looking for help from those living in the area of some great viewing sights of these great trees... any and all help will be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Where are you coming from?

Find your way to US Hwy 101 south of Willits. Head north on Hwy 101 towards Eureka. The road north is full of sweepers and scenery. As you proceed north of Laytonville, you will notice the forest becoming thicker and thicker. Very soon the road becomes "The Redwood Highway" and for good reason. You will ride through several groves between Benbow and Miranda while still on 101. A little further north you will see signs giving you the option of taking the "Avenue of the Giants" as an alternative to 101. It runs for about 30 miles inside the Redwood Forest parallel to 101. Take it all the way until it ends near Fortuna. Absolutely beautiful. Plan on stopping inside the forest. This forest area was used by George Lucas as the "forest moon of Endor" in Star Wars. You can almost see the speeders in the trees. Of course, you are the only one on a speeder today. I can recommend several places in Eureka to stay or eat depending on your budget. If you continue north from Eureka you will have an opportunity to see the Roosevelt Elk herd near Orick. A little bit north of Orick you will see signs for the Prairie Creek Redwoods bypass. Again, take it! It runs you right through the heart of the redwoods for about 15 miles returning you to 101 at either end. Unless you are on a GS, I would caution you against taking any of the side roads in the park down to the beach. The roads are steep and in horrible condition. As you continue, you will again enter the Redwood Forest only this time, right on the coast. This is also know as the Redwood Rainforest. If you go through after the fog has lifted, you will be rewarded with spectacular ocean views but keep your eyes on the road as its a 800 foot drop to those waves breaking on the rocks. Again, stop and take it in. North of Crescent City, you can turn onto Hwy 199 and again enter the Jedediah Smith Redwood Forest west of Hiouchi. There are several places to stop with trails that will take you on short hiking loops into the huge trees. Another great photo op. I hope that gives you an idea of where the Redwood forest might be. A final note of caution, this area has a healthy deer population and several protected herds of Elk. Believe the signs when you see them and slow down.

Take care,

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

making a loop from MI 7/29/06 following Rt 2 through Glacier national park then into Washington, looks like we will be stoping by Mt St Helens then to Crater lake then to the Red Woods and if time allows to Phoenix AZ then off to Sturgis SD for the rally then back home 15 days later.

Thanks for all the information this is shaping up to be a great ride with all the impute from my BMW family in the northwest & northern CA regions

Gary

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 1:00 am

From Crater Lake you can come out Hwy 62 down into Medford, take I5 over to Grants Pass then down 199 into California and the Jedediah Smith Redwood forest. The number escapes me but there is a bypass road just before Medford that runs the river over to the Rogue River exit bypassing all the city traffic in Medford. I would recommend it. Now, just reverse the route I gave you. You'll end up deciding whether to cross the Golden Gate or head east towards the Sierra foothills, Yosemite, Sequoia/King Canyon and beyond. Or both!

Bob Morrow #4204
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeigerFlyer
A friend & I will be visiting in the west soon (the intent of this ride is to see the redwoods) Eurika was our original destination, but we are looking for help from those living in the area of some great viewing sights of these great trees... any and all help will be great.Thanks
Gary;
If you find yourself around the Sacramento area, and need a place to stop, rest, clean up, or just take a break, feel free to give me a call. I live in Roseville, just north of Sacramento on I80. My garage has plenty of room, the pool is cool, and the pull out bed. . . well, its tougher than a stock seat on a Harley..

Drop me an email or PM, and I will provide my contact information.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Smile this is shaping up to be a graet trip

Mark sent you a PM
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

post #8 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:41 am

A suggestion, if I may. Try taking in some miles of the scenic Hwy 1 when working your way up to Eureka from the south. It will definitely be worth your while as well as COOL you down too..... i.e.: Point Reyes, Mendocino, Fort Bragg etc.
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
A suggestion, if I may. Try taking in some miles of the scenic Hwy 1 when working your way up to Eureka from the south. It will definitely be worth your while as well as COOL you down too..... i.e.: Point Reyes, Mendocino, Fort Bragg etc.
Coming from the north as you are, you can see all the Redwoods on 101 and then take Hwy 1 cutoff at Leggett down to the coast highway. The cutoff is very windy road frought with tight, descending hairpins but a maintained, quality piece of tarmac. This will take you through all the points mentioned above and still eventually run you across the Golden Gate bridge.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

well the LT is in for the 60K service and new front break pads and a new rear tire so we are ready to go... if you all see a Black LTE and a HD with MI plates it may be us... Thanks for all the advice and looking forward to seeing CA
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 5:01 pm

Watch it.

If you are going down Hwy 1 the closer you get to the SF Bay area you need to watch it. The road is more crowded with RV's, Tour busses, cars, and bike jerks (pedal type). The road is in spots less than stellar. The view is still spectacular but caution is key.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:03 pm

If you can time it right, join us for our weekly HDDC Wednesday nite dinner run. Usually posted by Tuesday and within a 1 hour radius of Sactamento.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Will be taking the PC if I can fine a place to hook up I'll up date ya'll along the way, how ever some day we will be tenting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in