Weekend Update & GT Report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Weekend Update & GT Report

Pauline and I want to express our gratitude to Brian (SanJuan2), Jeff (Mitchrider) and Ken (Meese) for joining us this weekend for some excellent fellowship and some of the best Oregon riding anyone could hope for.

I started out the weekend cleaning the LT after a 4355 mile ride to Texas and back. The HDDC guys were a day or two ahead of us leaving from Red River and never reported the Grass Hopper hatch on the Extra-Terrestrial Highway (Nevada 395) and we plowed through 35 to 45 miles of them. Hey John! Was it as bad for you as it was for us? The LT was trashed by the time I got to Tonopah. When I got home Thursday I had to clean the bike twice, but I didn't have time to pull off the panels and get the critters out from under the hood. I polished her up for the weekend ride with Pauline. At least the bug smell was almost gone, but I still had wings and legs poking out once in a while.

Saturday morning Pauline and I left for the Portland Motorcycle Club Grand Tour checkpoint in Camas Valley and then onto our overnight stay at the Wolf Creek Inn, in Wolf Creek Oregon. This historic Inn was a stage stop in 1868 and now has been renovated with 9 guest rooms furnished for the period. The B&B is motorcycle friendly and is very comfortable.

Sunday brought a fun and mostly dry ride over to the coast on Hwy 42 and up 101 to Yachats. We stayed at the Fireside Inn and were just feet from the ocean and tide pools. Meeting both Brian and Jeff there we had dinner at the Adobe Inn and breakfast the next AM for our trip to Garibaldi.

Garibaldi offers a great view of Tillamook Bay, and with the weather clearing it was even better. Ken Meese made the jaunt over the coast range to meet us (at the checkpoint called Pirate's Cove) for lunch. Following the meal and much talk about the new GT in the parking lot, and a few ride reports from me and Pauline who got a 30+ mile test ride just minutes earlier, we took off for Clatskanie for another checkpoint. We took off 101 onto Miami River Road to Hwy 53, Hwy 26E to Hwy 202 onto Hwy 47. With the locals being nice enough to honor the turn-outs we were able to keep a much better pace than I expected for the end of a holiday weekend. The ride was without incident and was very spirited with many twisties and sweepers. It didn't seem like it took much time at all to make the 76 mile trip.

We left Clatskanie with Brian heading home to the north, and Ken "testing" Jeff's GT we headed south. From Rainer through Apiary we split off 47 toward Scappoose then back on 30. The sun shining all day.

Total mileage for the weekend: 830
Avg. MPG: 47.3

Total mileage for the vacation week: 5185
Avg MPG: 48.6

Total smiles for the week: infinity

Now to the good part!

Thanks again to Jeff for letting us try out his new GT. What a machine; it rocks

My ride report:

I apologize for not getting a picture of Jeff's bike. It is the silver model and the two mods so far is a cool talk bag that flips up to expose the fuel cap and a taller than normal windshield.

The seat and handlebars are adjusted for Jeff who is a couple inches taller than me. The position was comfortable from the get-go. The seat is soft and keeps you firmly planted so you can keep your attention on riding. The instrumentation is easy to see and read.

The powerband was a lot smoother than I expected from what I've been reading. The only pinch-point I had was with Pauline on the back, and without a backrest, accelerated to pass a car and we both felt the bike escaping from under us (you know what I'm talking about here!). The power is phenomenal. Throttle control is of utmost importance.

The transmission is easy to shift and smooth as silk over 4k. The ratios are a little closer than I expected from 4th to 6th, but with a long powerband like the GT has you don't need big jumps in overdrive to have a smooth ride.

The "on-the-fly" suspension adjustments were fun to play with. Unfortunately the 3 Capes loop road is in bad repair and speeds had to be kept below the speed limit of 45 (with a few exceptions ), however when needed the GT is so agile you can steer away from trouble with a slight lean and a flick of the wrist.

From Pauline's perspective:

Pauline reports that the seat was intimidating at first. It appears smaller than would do the job, that is until you sit on it and get rolling. The peg height is just right for her rather short legs and she was comfortable from the start. The only hitch was her reluctance to move at all on the seat when we were cornering. She was comfortable holding onto one side handle and her other hand around my waist or on her thigh. She did feel the acceleration once and wasn't expecting so much torque. She wished she had the trunk and backrest at that point. She said she could easily ride on the back of the GT, especially if it was equipped with a trunk and backrest and an intercom. Easy fix for any of these items I said. She is thinking about it as a second machine next year, but we will not be selling her LT. Ok, I took some liberties here on the second bike statement. But I don't think it will be a hard sell thanks to Jeff.

Thank you again Jeff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolf Creek Inn.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	4137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack London Room.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	4138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Room.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	4139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	4140  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wolf Creek Inn.pdf (53.7 KB, 108 views)

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Thanks for the "GT Report" Ernie. But I'm starting to feel like a herione addict over here...as I'm resisting the urge to run over to the dealer to take another peak. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEZZZZZAAH!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Not to be left out Dave! In rider magazine...

Just ONE page after the GT review...an article entitled "Expedition Ready". Featuring none other than the 2006 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE!!!

My head is spinning...

Must resist!

STOP READING!

STOP . . . . . LOoooooooking!

post #4 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA

I started out the weekend cleaning the LT after a 4355 mile ride to Texas and back. The HDDC guys were a day or two ahead of us leaving from Red River and never reported the Grass Hopper hatch on the Extra-Terrestrial Highway (Nevada 395) and we plowed through 35 to 45 miles of them. Hey John! Was it as bad for you as it was for us? The LT was trashed by the time I got to Tonopah. When I got home Thursday I had to clean the bike twice, but I didn't have time to pull off the panels and get the critters out from under the hood. I polished her up for the weekend ride with Pauline. At least the bug smell was almost gone, but I still had wings and legs poking out once in a while.
No Mormon Crickets on our visit. But we buzzed the ET Hwy a week earlier on the way to Red River. On the way home across 50 we came across a few miles of the critters but they were very light. It's still a little unnerving when the dirt on the road moves around.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 4:15 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Sweatin' it Out Joe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Thanks for the "GT Report" Ernie. But I'm starting to feel like a herione addict over here...as I'm resisting the urge to run over to the dealer to take another peak. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEZZZZZAAH!!!!!!!!!!!
We jus' like to see you sweat Joe Don't let the boss ride on the back when you test. Jus' a warnin' for ya.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #6 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
No Mormon Crickets on our visit. But we buzzed the ET Hwy a week earlier on the way to Red River. On the way home across 50 we came across a few miles of the critters but they were very light. It's still a little unnerving when the dirt on the road moves around.
Sounds like you guys had a real good time. We went through Taos a week-ago-last Sunday. A lot of Red River compadres were already on the road at 08:00. WE took 518 to the other Las Vegas (I doubt what goes on in this Las Vegas stays there ) and onto Roswell to Carlsbad. Great mountian riding until Las Vegas. The rest was hot-flat-nuttin to Carlsbad. Texas was best traveled at night too. Great trip. Perhaps I can get to Red River next time. See you at WCR!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #7 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Somebody is enjoying the moment.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT ride 018 (Large).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	4141  

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Somebody is enjoying the moment.....
Who was that guy anyway? Gawd I look 10 years younger on that machine!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #9 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 1:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Bet you felt 20 years younger. Does that old leather flat-track jacket still fit?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in