Did the Deed! GT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 19th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Did the Deed! GT!

(Cross posted from the GT Forum)
[QUOTE=AlaskaFish]
So Jeff, when did you make the transition from LT to GT? I must have been snoozing!

John et eux,
Yep, did the deed on Tuesday. Second one into PMC. Am busy working on breaking it and me in. Here is a copy of my write up (also posted on the K bike forum).
Jeff

WOW! Even after only 300 miles on the Crystal Grey GT that I picked up Tuesday evening I can personally confirm wholeheartedly everything thing that has been written about the GT as far as performance and handling. The engine should be referred to as a "thruster" in every gear...I am not sure what one would need the rpms above 7000 for other than "rocket racing". The bike instantly inspires confidence in its handling. I did my favorite local twisty road last night at speeds that I never would have thought comfortable for me. This bike was designed for those kind of roads!

I absolutely love this bike but I am really struggling with the ergos. A good part of the riding that I enjoy is longer distance touring, with as much freeway as two lane twisties I am experimenting with the bar height and seat height to find a spot where the ergos on this bike will work for me (6'1", 220 lbs, 32" inseam). After my initial hour with the seat up and the bars all the way up my butt had gone numb. The seat, as others have mentioned, concentrates all of your weight on your pelvic bones. The design of the seat keeps you forward against the tank and (I think that this is the critical part) the knee angle of the peg placement makes this the natural riding position. It is, in fact, the perfect position for doing the fun roads, but for me only for an hour at this initial setting. Since then I have lowered the bars midway and that seems to create enough forward lean to better spread the pressure points. I know all about the custom seat route as I have had my 02 LT (135000 miles) seat done three different times and my RT done as well. For me, I think that lowering the pegs ( I have lowered pegs on both my LT and RT) and the custom seat route will be needed to be comfortable for distances. I also realize that getting used to this position versus that of my LT is part of the “finding comfort” process. The other downside to the peg placement and my length of legs is that the knee bend is fairly tight and my bad right knee was starting to remind me after an hour. I was very close to taking the bike back and telling the dealer that it just wasn’t going to work for me…BUT I was so enthralled with the performance that I have decided to perservere.

I experimented with different settings for the windscreen and for my torso height, I was looking over it at full up, had a nice pocket of still air for my helmet, but a fair amount of wind on my shoulders. I am sure that the after market folks can address this..

The other item that has taken away from the full enjoyment is the very sensitive and twitchy throttle that others have mentioned. Hopefully a freeplay adjustment will help some and I have already mentioned this to my dealer to correct on Tuesday when I bring it in for the 600 mile service. As it is, it is way to sensitive for my tastes and riding comfort. You have so much "thrust" available, that hitting the slightest bump can bring it on at the wrong time. I have ridden my step sons CBR1000 and the GT's throttle is very similar...maybe its appropriate for a race bike but not a "touring bike". Hopefully there will be a fix for this.

I just love the bike’s performance and its lighter weight. It feels even lighter than my RT. Working out the ergos will be a bit of a challence, but I feel it is well worth the effort. Due to the low resale value of an 02 LT with 135,000 miles on it, I am planning on keeping mine. Worst case, I can alternate with my old LT and enjoy the GT for a year or two until the new LT comes out and see where we go from there

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope that this is helpful.
Jeff
"MitchRider"
Portland, Oregon
06 K1200GT “GEE TEE”
02 K1200 LT “MCH RDR”
04 R1200RT “RT TIME”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 20th, 2006, 11:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jeff,

Good write-up. I sat on one down in Eugene (all apologies to the owner if he reads this ) and feel that the ergo's are going to be something to recon with. I am on a trip to New Mex this week and hope to see one on the road, however none so far.

We're in Pagosa Springs tonight and are riding to Taos and Carlsbad tomorrow. The Red River Roundup is just getting over so we'll see some activity when folks start heading home. Perhaps we'll see a GT on the road.

See you and your new steed soon.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 7 Old May 21st, 2006, 12:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey Ernie, shoot me a PM with your travel plans. I'll be heading north myself in a few days, and was contemplating going slightly east first to check out some new roads (and maybe a GT checkpoint or two).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 7 Old May 21st, 2006, 1:02 am

Thumbs up Jeff's New GEE TEE

Wow, congrats Jeff!

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #5 of 7 Old May 21st, 2006, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hey Ernie, shoot me a PM with your travel plans. I'll be heading north myself in a few days, and was contemplating going slightly east first to check out some new roads (and maybe a GT checkpoint or two).
I'll give you a call tonight from Carlsbad. Go LT's!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2006, 4:37 am

Ken and Ernie,
Give me a holler if you guys are planning on doing some GT points this weekend. I am feeling under acheived since I only have 2 so far! I just got back from my trip to Arizona and New Mexico Sat night. Unfortenately I flew and was busy building a deck at my brothers cabin in the Sandia mountains. Mitch, Congratulations on the new machine. Are you still in AZ? If so, Look up a place called Los Dos Molinas. Only if you like hot food. Their green chili burrito is excellent but nearing nuclear fusion in hotness!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 7 Old May 31st, 2006, 8:22 pm

Thumbs up Atta boy!

Jeff,
You obviously got confused with your GT obsession.
GT stands for Grand Tour...it's a little ride around to get points.
Are they requiring that you do it on a GT this year?
Congratulations on your new ride.
You are doing it in style!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in