Looking for Housing Info in Portand, OR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Dec 13th, 2012, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Looking for Housing Info in Portand, OR

Im investigating a one-year project assignment in downtown Portland and I was wondering if you could pass along any suggestions, cautions, info, etc. about where to stay long-term in the greater Portland area. I may do as I have done previously and rent an apartment and furnish it myself, or more likely rent something from a corporate housing firm a month at a time. They rent unused apartments and furnish them, then rent them to corporate travelers, consultants, families on long-term vacations, etc. My main goal in posing this question to you guys is to find where to stay - what part of town or which nearby towns. Once that is determined I'll zero in on a corp. housing provider or apartment community. Suggestions on that are welcome, as well.

I see lots of corporate housing in downtown Portland, outside downtown, and nearby cities. I would be there Monday-Friday, and probably not travel home more than once/month.

This is all very tentative at this point and may not come to pass but I need to do some research on living expenses in order to determine an appropriate hourly rate.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. are appreciated.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:22 pm. Reason: added details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Looking for Housing Info in Portand, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

I see lots of corporate housing in downtown Portland, outside downtown, and nearby cities. I would be there Monday-Friday, and probably not travel home more than once/month.

This is all very tentative at this point and may not come to pass but I need to do some research on living expenses in order to determine an appropriate hourly rate.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. are appreciated.
Hello Howard,

Portland is a pretty livable community despite recent events centering around a Mall shooting. That being said with your needs to find something affordable in downtown Portland might mean living outside of the city unless you want a studio apartment. If you are going to rely on public transit during the week (which makes sense due to parking charges) the bus and light rail system (MAX) is pretty good.
  • Northwest Portland does offer a lot of corporate extended stay and apartment areas and is from walking distance to downtown to a short bus ride. The trade off is the cost for convenience.
  • Inner east-side (NE Portland) and outer east-side (Gresham/Troutdale) are near the "MAX" transit system and make for affordable living. There are some corporate living apartments and extended stay facilities near the airport (PDX) and in Gresham. I'd just stay away from the middle ground of the east side where the housing is the lowest price and urban renewal hasn't caught on yet.
  • West side has a more complex transit matrix that finds commuters often frustrated and the housing is a bit more pricy (Beaverton/Hillsdale), However if you are living near the "MAX" transit station you can slip in/out of the city pretty easily from out there. Because of Nike and Intel there is a lot of corporate housing there.
  • South of Portland and a bit east is also an option with good travel routes into town and the prices are a bit lower than the other two options (Milwaukie, Gladstone Oregon City and Clackamas).
  • South of Portland is probably the most expensive housing and still a difficult commute on a good day (Lake Oswego, West Linn, Tualatin and Tigard) however Tigard might be worth looking into because they have a lot of corporate housing being close to the city and also close to Hillsboro's Intel. Not to mention there is a BMW dealer there too.
I hope this helps and I'm sure there will be a few more opinions. A lot of your choice depends on what you want to do when you are not working. How much do you want to be confined in a city or is that something that interests you; Portland has a vibrant city life and many find it fun to hang out in 24/7. Let us know if you decide to visit town.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in