BMWOR Rip-off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy BMWOR Rip-off

OK the short version is that IMHO BMWOR has poor customer service, they are unknowledgeable about my BMW bike and that they are ridiculously expensive with regard to service. I guess they feel that now that Portland Motorcycle is gone, they can do whatever they want and charge whatever they like. If you have the time, the following rant is why I feel the way I do.

A while back, I was in BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon and asked them about an upcoming service for my K1200R. A number of six hundred and some dollars was quoted and I have to say I was a little shocked. Similar service at Portland Motorcycle had been considerably less than one half of that amount.

I am now in need of that service, so I called South Sound BMW and ask for a quote for a standard 30K service on my 2006 K1200R. I was given a firm quote of $250 for a full 30K Service. This was consistent with past service receipts and I felt it was reasonable.
I next called Salem Honda BMW. They were also very friendly and gave me a quote of $250 - $300. As both quotes were in the same ball park, I began to wonder how BMWOR could possibly be so high. There must have been a mistake, I thought.

I called BMWOR (Tigard) yesterday to get to the bottom of this. I asked for the Service Department and was promptly put on hold. I waited for over 20 minutes until I gave up. Real nice customer service I thought.

Today I tried to reach the Service Department again and lucked out this time as Doug, the Service Manager answered the phone. I asked for a new quote on my 2006 K1200R and sure enough, there had been a mistake. The cost wasnít six hundred and some, it was $845!!! I asked Doug why they were so much more than other dealers. I got a lot of negative comments about other dealers and he basically said that they werenít offering a full service.

After I got off of the phone I looked up the maintenance schedule for the K1200R and decided to give Doug a call back. I politely asked what all was included in their 30K service. Doug stated a number of items that were not on the schedule including that the final drive fluid needed to be replaced. He stated that the final drive required maintenance every 12K. I told him that per schedule, it had been changed recently, so I was told I could deduct $100. Next, he stated that the gear box oil needed to be changed and a new seal installed. I asked what he meant by gear box and he said he was referring to the transmission. I told him that an engine oil change included the transmission oil in a 2006 K1200R; that they were the same. Doug began to argue with me stating that the fluid in the transmission was different and that it had to be changed. The conversation went downhill from there. Doug commented that other dealers have lower labor rates, but that they must be in the business of going out of business. He gloated that this is what happened to Portland Motorcycle. I realized at this point that I was arguing with someone that was completely unknowledgeable about my bike and whose goal was to charge me as much as possible (even for some things that are impossible).

Needless to say, I will be making a little ride down to Salem on Tuesday. Iíll report back on how it goes. Iíll bet they will get a good laugh about BMWORís insistence that the gearbox must be serviced.

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Cool Re: BMWOR Rip-off

Obviously does not understand that the new K engine is a wet sump engine! Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt (which he really does not deserve with that ridiculous quote!) and allow that he could have been thinking of the earlier generation K engine, a BMW dealer should certainly not make that simple of a mistake. Or, as soon as you explained it to him, he should have immediately realize the error of his thoughts.

I really was hoping that they might improve, but evidently not in the Service department! When you head to Salem you might want to swing over to Hwy 99W for the last part of the trip instead of I-5 the whole way. Much nicer ride!

Let us know how it all turns out Dan.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Re: BMWOR Rip-off

Sorry to hear of your problems Dan, I have had limited amount of exposure to that dealer. But those transactions were not very good either. We could always do your 30k on the grass at the fair grounds in John day. You know I like to tear into K motors there... I would look for a local guru and offer up the 250 bucks and get it done right.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Why even argue with the guy? Other than to make your point. You weren't going to change his mind or quote and you already made up your mind not to use them so why so many calls to them? It is their business and they can run it as they please and you can chide to use them or not. It is called capitalism.
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem
Why even argue with the guy? Other than to make your point. You weren't going to change his mind or quote and you already made up your mind not to use them so why so many calls to them? It is their business and they can run it as they please and you can chide to use them or not. It is called capitalism.
Actually, I didn't argue with him after he corrected me. I called back because I really wanted to know what the difference was on what they proposed to do. Maybe they were on to something I didn't know about. They are a local business and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I had not made up my mind and he did change his quote.

BTW, my degree is in Business Administration and I spent a long career working in business. I think I know what capitalism is. I made this post to inform others in this area. Caveat emptor...

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #6 of 18 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 3:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Sorry to hear about your poor experience, Dan. I think I'd be a bit frustrated, too.

Fortunately, BMWOR in Tigard has taken pretty good care of me over the years. I've had several emergency services done there (it's always an emergency when you're a thousand miles from home), including full clutch replacements on both the K12GT & K13GT. And they recently took in my GTL for software updates/warranty items and took care of everything quickly. They even loaned me their S1000RR demo bike to run some errands instead of just sitting in the shop. That thing is wicked fast . . .

Their rates can be on the high side, (although what you were told seems ridiculous), but Richard does excellent work and really knows his stuff.

Their parts department can be a bit clueless, but since they've hired the guy from Portland BMW it's been a definite improvement. Man times I've gotten critical parts in overnight. Again, there's a next-day fee, but if you really need it now, then you pay for that privilege.

I've never used the Salem dealer, but I hope they take good care of you. Sometimes, it's good to have choices . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear of this recent issue with BMWWOR Tigard. I would bet he would have changed the quote once he saw the bike, and if he hadn't then I'd really be worried. I believe Scott would like to hear about this, because he and Madelyn take their business very serious. I hope you find a good deal and are satisfied wherever you go for service, but know you are always welcome to use my lift if you want to DIY, or there are are other less expensive options than Salem around.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I glad but surprised anyone has had a good experience at this dealership. I don't think I've ever walked in there and been tempted to do anything but buy what I needed and get the hell out. I have been to the Salem dealership to get an Autocomm item and the staff was all very knowledgeable and friendly.

I'm glad that the parts department finally got someone that knows what they hell they are talking about. Been in the several times or called only to have them ask me for the BMW part number.

Next bike may not be a BMW if the only show in town is BMWOR. I'm just glad I don't rely on them for periodic services. I'd be worried if I didn't do my own maintenance. Speaking of which I've got a 36K coming due on the GSA. Doesn't look to tough.

For those going to Chief Joseph, see ya in a few days.

Art Kester
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Service Experience - Salem

Salem Honda BMW performed my 30K Service today. The total due was $260.11. Donít expect a huge glamorous dealership if you go to Salem. They are in an old and small building. Itís a stark contrast to Tigard and thatís just the way Salem likes it. They prize their low overhead and small size. To me, none of this is good or bad. Itís just different. Itís a different philosophy and perhaps a different definition of success.

Anyway, as far as their service work, they appear to follow the book very closely. They did everything on the 30K maintenance schedule and I was in and out in a reasonable time. They were very friendly and good to deal with. They thanked me and said they appreciated me coming down to Salem. Thatís appealing to me, so I will probably make the trip again in the future.

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #10 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Talking Re: BMWOR Rip-off

Dan, that's good news to hear! Glad it worked out for ya. plus you got a nice slab ride in as well, huh?

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
plus you got a nice slab ride in as well, huh?
Yes, and in the rain with terrible traffic.

It's all good!

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #12 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Well if it helps I rode Tigger 2 to work today and found a very wet ride home! Rain gear works. It's all good!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman
Yes, and in the rain with terrible traffic.

It's all good!

Dan

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Smile Re: BMWOR Rip-off

Great that you got your 30K done, Dan. It's nice to know about good dealer options in our neighborhood. Thanks for posting.

Denny
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Dan! Good for you getting your service done to your satisfaction. Isn't it about time for Summer to come so we can go for a ride?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #15 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 1:35 am

Garage

I found Scott and Madelyn to be very attentive, honest and proficient business owners . However, their staff leaves a bit to be desired.
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 1:38 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Well if it helps I rode Tigger 2 to work today and found a very wet ride home! Rain gear works. It's all good!

John
No such thing bad weather just bad gear. You circumvented that!
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 8:40 am

Our Youjean Orygun neighbor has it right. I stand corrected Patrick. Any day you can ride is a good day! And we're fixing to ride tomorrow to the Chief Joseph Rally! Woo Hoo!!!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
No such thing bad weather just bad gear. You circumvented that!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #18 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 9:06 am

Glad you had your service done correctly and at a reasonable price, But I want to know , How is your back Tire????

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in