sleeping bags? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

sleeping bags?

Tried going through the "camping" threads, but see that there is VERY little information there. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch here in the NW that camp on bikes, so I'll ask here about sleeping bags.
Any suggestions on something, other than mummy, that packs real small? I don't get cold much, so something in the 20-30 degree range would be more than adequate. Just want to try saving some space.
Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:32 am

Re: sleeping bags?

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...548&catid=1822

Try this link to Snugpaks............light and pak down and have a variety of temp. ranges to choose from...........let me know

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

My only guidance is along the same lines. Since you live in the "northwet," you want a synthetic fill bag, because they retain most of their insulating value when wet. Down doesn't. Also, I suggest you carry a silk bag liner. It takes up almost no space and if it gets a bit too cool for your bag, the liner will provide added warmth and it also protects the bag from wear & tear.

Good luck!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I like Big Agnes sleeping bags. They aren't cheap but they are top quality. I used to buy bargain basement camping equipment but had enough issues over the years I finally saved up for top quality gear. Rule #1: You generally get what you pay for and camping equipment is no exception.

They have both synthetic and down filled bags plus designs for big & tall folks. I am broad shouldered and have size 13 feet. Many sleeping bags fit me like a strait jacket and my feet often felt cramped, especially in mummy style bags. The Big Agnes "Parks" series solved that problem for me. I live in Seattle and I have used down bags with no problems in wet environments but I make sure the gear stays dry. Dry bags for hauling and a very good tent. Down bags will be 40%-50% lighter and smaller when compressed than an equivalent thermal rated synthetic bag. So if small and light is important down rules.

I have a Summit Park down filled bag and the 25" wide insulated core inflatable pad. Both are rated to 15 degrees F. Their pads and bags are designed as a system. There is no insulation in the bottom side of the bag. Any insulation on the bottom gets crushed anyway so it will loose most of it's insulating value. The pads fit into a compartment in the bottom side of the bag and the pad provides the insulation on the bottom. That is why both their bags and pads have thermal ratings.

The suggestion of a silk liner is right on. A silk liner can add 10 degrees to the thermal rating of a sleeping bag but can also help cool you down in hot weather. I have tried flannel, cotton and synthetic liners but silk are the best. In warm weather I can often just use the silk liner on top of my pad.

For a good tent I like Big Agnes or MSR. I have an MSR Superfusion tent, an Explore Series model that is no longer made. I got a great deal on it off eBay so that was a major factor in going that route over a Big Agnes tent. It is a four season three person tent. It's not something I would hike with but I like the extra room when it is being carried by something other then my back. I prefer a tent with a large vestibule so I can keep all the wet stuff outside the tent but still have everything under cover. One of the important things that needs to be done when using down filled equipment but it is a good practice in general.

On a number of occasions I have accommodated companions whose Coleman, Eureka or other less expensive tents have suffered some kind of functional failure. Usually a broken rod but one tent had a major rip.

MSR also makes a lot of other high quality camping equipment. Their cookware, stoves and hydration gear are all top quality as are their tents and sleeping bags. There are other high quality equipment manufactures out there. Marmot, Mountain Hardware and Sierra Designs come to mind. REI markets products from just about all of them. Some of the REI branded equipment is pretty good and usually cheaper (See Rule #1) but better than the Coleman, Eureka and even less expensive crowd. You can often find good deals on top quality equipment on eBay or Craigslist. So you don't always have to pay premium prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:11 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on all above

A down sleeping bag with a breathable waterproof bivy sack (a gortex shell) will meet your requirements. Extremely small, extremely light, and pretty warm. A bit spendy and susceptible to wet weather, hence the bivy sac.

On the other hand, Cabela's has a good selection of synthetic filled rectangle sleeping bags. Check out the Browning McKinley, $139. Although you still want to keep the bag dry, synthetic will suffer less insulation loss. Cheaper, bulkier and heavier than down fill.

I take a 6X8 ground tarp that I can roll my synthetic bag into if it's raining and no tent is available. Hope this helps, I just love spending others money.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. No matter how small I want the bag to pack, I just can't do the mummy. Got to looking at the bags you've suggested, and came across a Eureka Cheyenne at Cabela's. I'm thinking this might be the right one. All I need to do now is wander across the great divide (Santiam Pass), and check it out.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in