My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 12:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

With over 209k on the clock our beloved LTE is getting a front to back and top to bottom restoration. I'm starting today with the teardown and setting my sights on having her done by mid February. I'll post a picture or two as I go. Here is how she looked this past spring after I bought and painted a '05 front fender to match. One thing in my favor is she is in such good condition I don't have much of a deficit to start from:

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

I know you guyz take a lotta pics, so I'm looking forward to those. Ole Toad doesn't have near the mileage, butt there is enough little niggling things that need attention, we could use that as an excuse to do a project like that, Ernie. Best of luck during the process. BTW - you planning on any upgrade/additions above what is there now??
post #3 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Ernie. Best of luck during the process. BTW - you planning on any upgrade/additions above what is there now??
Thanks Dick; I'll need a little luck as I go. What she'll get is the following:
  1. A complete engine rebuild starting with a 2005 engine I bought off EBay. I'll only be increasing the compression but keeping the earlier cams and EFI setup
  2. A complete transmission rebuild
  3. New clutch and slave
  4. Rear drive rebuild
  5. All new brake lines and caliper rebuilds
  6. Install my new Garmin 665 with XM Radio and XM Radar Weather
  7. A new fuse block and wiring to clean up some wiring that has been nagging me
  8. Send out the Ohlin Shocks for rebuild
  9. Check all suspension bushings and replace as necessary
  10. Clean all surfaces thoroughly and inspect all wire looms for chafing and correct any issues
  11. Replace all bulbs in dash and throughout the rest of bike
  12. Drop off my seat with RM in Anderson, CA for a little cushion (got 135k on da seat!)
  13. Perhaps more if I see the need
She has safely carried us all these miles and now she is going to the Spa - O - Ernie for some treatments.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #4 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Just curious about wheel, swing arm and any other often overlooked bearings? Or is there any need to worry about those things? And what about the U-joints in the drive line?
post #5 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Just curious about wheel, swing arm and any other often overlooked bearings? Or is there any need to worry about those things? And what about the U-joints in the drive line?
Wheel bearings were new last spring and the driveline has only 75k on it. she has been well maintained throughout her long existence. And as I mentioned I will inspect and replace anything questionable. TFA

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #6 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 2:17 pm

"and the driveline has only 75k on it"

That cracks me up. I can't help but go back to the 70's when I was riding Triumphs, and 20K was considered darn near wore out. At the very least, the top end of the engine needed a rebuild.
post #7 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Great color - and a good reason to keep it on the road.

Curious though, with all of the great buys out there on some really late low mileage models, why not just get a newer one?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 5:12 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Great color - and a good reason to keep it on the road.

Curious though, with all of the great buys out there on some really late low mileage models, why not just get a newer one?
Thanks! I like the color as well. The reason is simple really: I have grown attached to this bike. I like my set-up and don't want to start from scratch. I have the ability, tools to do the job, and like the challenge. Besides, "with all of the good buys out there" who knows what's really under all of that tupperware, and what people have done to it. Good question.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #9 of 35 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Thumbs up Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

I think you should chop it. You know, get a springer for the front end and maybe some ape hangers. That would be so cool. And some flames or lightening bolts. And some chrome....lots and lots of chrome.

But then you'll probably worry more about it getting you from place to place comfortably, huh?

Actually I'm betting that it will be running better than new when you are done.

Art Kester

Last edited by artk50; Jan 20th, 2012 at 6:55 pm.
post #10 of 35 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Talking Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

So Ernie, when ya do the chopper thing ya won't need all that ugly Toscana Green tupperware eh? So if ya need someone to haul it away for ya, just give me a call. I'll do it for no fee buddy!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I think you should chop it. You know, get a springer for the front end and maybe some ape hangers. That would be so cool. And some flames or lightening bolts. And some chrome....lots and lots of chrome.

But then you'll probably worry more about it getting you from place to place comfortably, huh?

Actually I'm betting that it will be running better than new when you are done.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 35 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
So Ernie, when ya do the chopper thing ya won't need all that ugly Toscana Green tupperware eh? So if ya need someone to haul it away for ya, just give me a call. I'll do it for no fee buddy!

John
LOL! I'll keep the Toscana green thank you! I'll give you a good deal on a paint job though... eh?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #12 of 35 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 11:20 pm

What kind of brake lines are you going to use Ernie ?
post #13 of 35 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 12:17 am

Wink Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

Maybe a future project after your major rebuild, eh Ernie? I could be interested. We'll talk. Good Luck on the project meanwhile!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
LOL! I'll keep the Toscana green thank you! I'll give you a good deal on a paint job though... eh?

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 35 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 1:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
What kind of brake lines are you going to use Ernie ?
I'm looking at the Speigler system, however I have over 209k on the original lines without any braking problems what-so-ever. I would hope Speigler has their act together and have the lines built with the correct angles. It appears that up through last summer folks on this forum have still had problems with proper fitment. I'll give them a call and see what they have. It appears from their website that they don't offer ALL of the hoses and I want to replace them ALL. If someone knows what is included in the kit, or has pictures and part numbers, let me know.

I'm leaning toward Galfer "wave" rotors front and rear just to try them out along with their pads. I'm also going to kit the calipers and master cylinders. I want to do a complete job on her.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #15 of 35 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 7:02 am

Ernie - ping Stevie (katnapinn) regarding the makeup of the Speigler system. He's installed several of the kits and should know what hoses are included, or not included. ABS lines for example.
post #16 of 35 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 8:07 pm

Hey Ernie,

Just started some of the same winter projects.

Sending the ohlins in for service and replacing the brake lines with speiglar.
The kit contains lines to replace all 6 rubber lines. The rest are already metal lines. As far as the angles are concerned, when I talked with them they said all issues were addressed. You just match the lines and turn the connectors to match the ones you take off.
Just got my kit and it looks good, I can let you know more when i make the swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543a.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	34297  

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #17 of 35 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Hey Ernie,

Just started some of the same winter projects.
Sending the ohlins in for service and replacing the brake lines with speiglar.
The kit contains lines to replace all 6 rubber lines. The rest are already metal lines. As far as the angles are concerned, when I talked with them they said all issues were addressed. You just match the lines and turn the connectors to match the ones you take off.
Just got my kit and it looks good, I can let you know more when i make the swap.
Thanks John! Between your post and a PM from Steve I now have some info I can use to get started with. I almost have the engine pulled and will be ordering parts on Tuesday.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #18 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Smile Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

Geez, Ernie - I'm tired just reading about your project, but know it'll turn out A-one.

Denny
post #19 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Ern,
You gonna have the project done in time for our trip thru Tejas and Alabama in May or are you and Pauline gonna cuddle on the V Strom?
Mo
post #20 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobikerider
Ern,
You gonna have the project done in time for our trip thru Tejas and Alabama in May or are you and Pauline gonna cuddle on the V Strom?
Mo
Well I better! The 'Strom is a fun bike but it doesn't hold a candle to my LT for LD work. But that is just my opinion... Wait! That is Pauline's opinion too...

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #21 of 35 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:22 am

Garage

Ernie,
Agreed, few bikes can do the miles like the LT. However, this is a huge project you are taking on. I'll bet you complete it in your usual timely/successful manner.
post #22 of 35 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:29 am

How is the project coming along?

Art Kester
post #23 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
How is the project coming along?
Hi Art!

Thanks for asking! I have been busy and getting myself sidetracked with this fun rally that uses your "smart phone" and a blog. Check out The Big Money Rally. This rally is like the Rose City Grand Tour with a lot more options and a little competition with your friends. But back to our LT... Today I will disassemble the spare engine I bought and see what the clearances are before spending a lot of money on mine.

What I found so far is no damage at all to the block, crank, cams, head or rods. The pistons have taken a beating with the same problem that Sheeley had when he rebuilt his engine. The problem is thought to be caused by detonation possibly caused by a vacuum leak. When I had it in for service around the 135k mark the tech said the intake boots were hard and possibly leaking. I remember now that I was getting uneven idle back then. The damage to the pistons possibly happened then. However the block is still serviceable, however it too is nearing the end of its life-cycle. Since these blocks are not bore-able the solution is replacement with a good used unit or buy a new block. New is very expensive but comes with new piston kits. Used is a good alternative if it measures right and the price was cheep enough. If pistons have to be bought the savings is about 1/3 of new. This is what I hope to achieve today when I get into my spare engine.

What she looks like today (02/05/12)

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #24 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Thumbs up Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

Wow Ernie! Keep us in the loop for sure on what you find. So when you mention the pistons have taken a beating, do you mean the rings? Just curious what I could be in store for down the road. I also had the rough idle which I believe was from the leaking throttle body boots as well as the cracked breather hose. Right after fixing those items my idle smoothed out (by that, I mean the occasional miss I had, only at idle) and she has run great ever since! The only other concern is the light use of engine oil on long rides.

Good Luck with the project!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #25 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 2:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild (Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Wow Ernie! Keep us in the loop for sure on what you find. So when you mention the pistons have taken a beating, do you mean the rings? Just curious what I could be in store for down the road. I also had the rough idle which I believe was from the leaking throttle body boots as well as the cracked breather hose. Right after fixing those items my idle smoothed out (by that, I mean the occasional miss I had, only at idle) and she has run great ever since! The only other concern is the light use of engine oil on long rides.

Good Luck with the project!

John
Hi John,

I had the same issues with our beauty; only to have the oil consumption climb to a qt. every 6k. Now that doesn't sound like much oil use but these engines are known to be real tight and don't use much oil. I attribute much of my issues to two events: The first was the vacuum leak I previously mentioned and a severe overheat on our way to CCR in Utah a few years back ('08). Especially the overheat (caused by a broken radiator cap) I feel caused the most issues riding forward. I noticed some degrade in performance and the start of the oil consumption. I checked compression, cylinder leak-down and also checked for exhaust leakage into coolant (symptoms of a head gasket leak) after we returned home from CCR and the engine was within specs. However, deep down, I knew the overheat more than likely cooked the oil rings and it was only a matter of time that I'd be into the engine to make it right.

I had an oil leak from the rear main (my immediate concern) combined with a significant use of oil to which precipitated this engine rebuild. I thought if I was that close into this thing to replace the seal (since just getting done with Clayton's oil seal a few weeks ago) why not just do our bike justice and fully rebuild her. After pulling her apart the pistons were all damaged in the same place. I don't want to draw any conclusions other than this is a very worn engine with a lot of hard miles. Anyone who rides with us knows what I mean by that. Having said that I want all who might be worried about this and other high mile bikes to remember parts do wear out and it shouldn't be a surprise that an engine with nearly 210k on it would need more than a tune-up.

When I say the pistons are all damaged in the same place I mean exactly in the same place. Weird, huh? The ring land is broken between #1 and #2 ring directly between the exhaust valves. Here is an example (more pictures on my Gallery):

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #26 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 4:49 pm

WOW! That much piston damage and no scarring of the cylinder walls? Did the pistons come out in pieces, or did those chunks come off the pistons on removal?
post #27 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 5:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
WOW! That much piston damage and no scarring of the cylinder walls? Did the pistons come out in pieces, or did those chunks come off the pistons on removal?
The "chunks" came off when I removed the rings. No damage to the cylinder walls. And I will have you know I was running this engine hard right up to teardown. It gives me confidence in the machine that it can withstand a lot of punishment from the inside and from the throttle side.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #28 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Wink Re: My Next Project - Our 2002 LT Rebuild

What a testament to the cylinders! Gives us a warm fuzzy.

John
Quote:
The "chunks" came off when I removed the rings. No damage to the cylinder walls. And I will have you know I was running this engine hard right up to teardown. It gives me confidence in the machine that it can withstand a lot of punishment from the inside and from the throttle side.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #29 of 35 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Pretty frickin' amazing.
post #30 of 35 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 1:15 am

Garage

That looks exactly like what David Shealey reported sveral years ago on his high miles LT. Ring landings...but no wall damage.
post #31 of 35 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 9:10 am

Hey Ernie,

Looks like your enjoying the tear down!

Just FYI on the Spieglar brake line kit. The kit was spot on for fit and finish and did replace all the rubber lines on the LT. Only two very minor issues - The T block did not fit on the bracket, just cut slightly too large. Not an issue just shaved a little off the top. The second issue is the banjo bolt on the front master cylinder has to be positioned just so. Otherwise it hits the bracket for the handlebar cover. Anyhow I'm happy with the kit.
Got the Shocks serviced by Kyle at Kyle Racing. He called himself when the shocks arrived and set them up with the adjustments I asked for. Did a two day turn around, great service.

Good luck on the rebuild!

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #32 of 35 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
The ring land is broken between #1 and #2 ring directly between the exhaust valves.
That doesn't look bad at all. Just superglue them back together and ride on.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #33 of 35 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I suspect that at least one of my pistons (#3) has the same damage. The leak down has been high on # 3 for over 100,000 miles. I go thru over a quart of oil every 6000 miles. My Nikasil (Electroplated Nickel Silicon Carbide) bores still look good with a bore scope. Mahle who makes the pistons for the LT engine designed Nikasil in 1967. Forged pistons in the newer LT engines don't have the problem with cracked or broken ring lands like the cast pistons have on the early models.

If you have an old piston you don't need I would like to give one to my Mahle rep & get a price on making forged pistons at the Mahle Tennessee piston plant. I'll be glad to pay for postage. I've got 156,000 miles on mine and it'll need a rebuild sooner or later.

Also on the Speigler brake lines they have a clutch slave pressure line for the LT. I've seen several OEM lines rust at the bend near the slave cylinder. I'm sure your LT will feel like a new bike once your back on the road.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #34 of 35 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I suspect that at least one of my pistons (#3) has the same damage. The leak down has been high on # 3 for over 100,000 miles. I go thru over a quart of oil every 6000 miles. My Nikasil (Electroplated Nickel Silicon Carbide) bores still look good with a bore scope. Mahle who makes the pistons for the LT engine designed Nikasil in 1967. Forged pistons in the newer LT engines don't have the problem with cracked or broken ring lands like the cast pistons have on the early models.

If you have an old piston you don't need I would like to give one to my Mahle rep & get a price on making forged pistons at the Mahle Tennessee piston plant. I'll be glad to pay for postage. I've got 156,000 miles on mine and it'll need a rebuild sooner or later.

Also on the Speigler brake lines they have a clutch slave pressure line for the LT. I've seen several OEM lines rust at the bend near the slave cylinder. I'm sure your LT will feel like a new bike once your back on the road.
I have 4 pistons I don't need! ;-) PM me and you can have one as my gift to your future rebuild. I ordered and received my Speigler brake line kit last week. I asked them about the clutch line and they have discontinued it for now. They said they would make one for me if I sent them my old one. They had too many returned for poor fitment. Bummer, eh?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #35 of 35 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
I have 4 pistons I don't need! ;-) PM me and you can have one as my gift to your future rebuild. I ordered and received my Speigler brake line kit last week. I asked them about the clutch line and they have discontinued it for now. They said they would make one for me if I sent them my old one. They had too many returned for poor fitment. Bummer, eh?
Thanks Ernie, Sorry for the slow response I left for work at 5:00 am this morning & just got home. Our whole race team is on overtime until at least after the Daytona 500. I have a spare clutch line that has a little rust on it & I'll have the vendor that makes all of our custom oil,fuel,brake & clutch lines make a few next month when all of us get caught up if the price is right. I'll try & PM you in the morning before I leave for work.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in