Iditarod Dog Sled Race - - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Iditarod Dog Sled Race -

Sneakin' in on the North West forum, I looked for Alaska to be named under your state list - no joy, so I thought I'd offer the following. You guyz already know the subject, I bet!!

I see, on CNN, where the winner of this year's Iditarod dog sled race is musher Jeff King and his amazing kennel of super dogs. Sez he's the oldest race winner (at 50!!).

Cheryl and I had the honor and pleasure of visiting Jeff and his lovely wife and family a coupla years ago. Took a tour of their homestead and participated in a show-n-tell session involving all the facets of dog-sledding as a vocation. Those folks live an awesome lifestyle, and one which few folks would dare attempt. We came away with the utmost respect for Jeff and his crew; their treatment and personal 24/7 care of their dogs under their guardianship.

If you EVER have the opportunity to visit Jeff's leetle corner of Alaska, don't think twice - just do it. Your life will be richer for it.

And thanks for letting me sneak in on your forum!! Oh, btw, one of my life's dreams is to let Toad, my '99 LT, take me to Alaska!! (snuck in some LT content for playin' by the rules!! ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
And thanks for letting me sneak in on your forum!! Oh, btw, one of my life's dreams is to let Toad, my '99 LT, take me to Alaska!! (snuck in some LT content for playin' by the rules!! ).
GeeWiz Dick sneak in any time. Thanks for the report and info. It's good to know us old guys over 50 can still do the job. BTW, when was there a "rule" to always have something LT in the post? Oops, I guess I snuck one in there anyway.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
GeeWiz Dick sneak in any time. Thanks for the report and info. It's good to know us old guys over 50 can still do the job. BTW, when was there a "rule" to always have something LT in the post? Oops, I guess I snuck one in there anyway.
Hi, Ernie -

Nah, not really a rule. Just gives the admins and moderators sumpthin' to keep tabs on!! I think it's prolly a hold-over from the IBMWR site of several years back, when there wuzn't clear cut topical forums that included chit-chat/humor and the like. Some folks policed the content as a way of keeping non-BMW content from cluttering up the message board.

This site is pretty forgiving in that regard, butt it does help to keep topics sorted and prolly easier to find, when one can post non-LT, non-regional, non-BMW, etc., stuff in a catch-all forum where most folks read/post to for general info. At least, I think that is the intent of the admin principals; given each forums introduction piece. I just like to cheat once in awhile and see if they're on their toes!!

BTW, Ernie; I'm surprised someone from up in your neck of the woods hasn't suggested that Alaska should be included in your regional forum. I know we don't have a lot of members located up there, and I'm not even sure they wanna be pigeon-holed into a forum; just would seem logical to me tho.

Take care Ernie - sure hope you're riding full strength soon.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:01 am

Wink

Quote:
Hi, Ernie -

Nah, not really a rule. Just gives the admins and moderators sumpthin' to keep tabs on!! I think it's prolly a hold-over from the IBMWR site of several years back, when there wuzn't clear cut topical forums that included chit-chat/humor and the like. Some folks policed the content as a way of keeping non-BMW content from cluttering up the message board.

This site is pretty forgiving in that regard, butt it does help to keep topics sorted and prolly easier to find, when one can post non-LT, non-regional, non-BMW, etc., stuff in a catch-all forum where most folks read/post to for general info. At least, I think that is the intent of the admin principals; given each forums introduction piece. I just like to cheat once in awhile and see if they're on their toes!!

BTW, Ernie; I'm surprised someone from up in your neck of the woods hasn't suggested that Alaska should be included in your regional forum. I know we don't have a lot of members located up there, and I'm not even sure they wanna be pigeon-holed into a forum; just would seem logical to me tho.

Maybe that's because some of us Alaskans moved down here! Actually, I always posted here even when I was in Alaska Dick. Maybe one of the Moderators might want to go ahead and include that great state in with our Pac NW group. It most certainly is located in the Pacific Northwest!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 1:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Would that be the Greater Pacific North West? Gotta plan that Alaska trip . . .

BTW, who's planning on attending Hyder Seek this year?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:37 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:29 pm

What is Hyder Seek?
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I added a link above.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi, Ernie -

Thanks Dick. It is good to have you come to our corner of the world. You are right, Alaska has been left to their own devices, butt knowing a few of them rascals I'm a thinkin' they just as soon have their own spot on the board. Under their sub-forums would be "sledding, snow shoeing, gold panning, fishing and hunting." Just to name a few of their activities. Of course the LT can always be brought into the conversation: "I would have been on my LT today, but because the snow drifts were up to the top of the garage door I had to go sledding" Something like that...

BTW, I'm sure hoping the doc lets me climb aboard our LT this next weekend. Man, has it ever been a dry spell.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #9 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Would that be the Greater Pacific North West? Gotta plan that Alaska trip . . .

BTW, who's planning on attending Hyder Seek this year?
I'm thinkin' Jeff and Judy are. Right Jeff? Both on their respective machines I believe. I would love to make that trip. We went up to get Hyderized in 2003 in the late Summer. It was getting wet and cold and it was early September. Do they ever have a Summer, or is the season only two weeks long in August?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

You're right Ernie. Judy and I have Hyder on our radar, but haven't made reservations yet as I haven't got a 100% committment from Judy. Need to work on that a bit.
Jeff
I assume that you guys have read the road test reports from Daytona on the new GT. What think ye??
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
BTW, I'm sure hoping the doc lets me climb aboard our LT this next weekend. Man, has it ever been a dry spell.
I don't care what your doctor says, when I get up there we're going for a ride. If need be, you can sit on the back, but I think we'd both prefer if you rode your own bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I've got a question in to the Sealaska Inn to see if there are any rooms left, but I seriously doubt it. I know the Grandview Inn is booked, so that leaves Stewart BC as the next option. Good luck.

I enjoyed the GT reviews, and in fact spent some time talking with the dealer about it earlier this week. They won't say anything that we don't know already, but I'm just getting my bid in for a test ride when they show up in May. I keep saying I'll need to hang on to the LT as a two-up bike, at least until the new model comes out. But somehow I think a GT test ride may be more dangerous than I realize.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Rider
You're right Ernie. Judy and I have Hyder on our radar, but haven't made reservations yet as I haven't got a 100% committment from Judy. Need to work on that a bit.
Jeff
I assume that you guys have read the road test reports from Daytona on the new GT. What think ye??
I hope your plans come together, and soon. Time is runnin' short. I'll be going the other way going to Carlsbad Caverns with some work friends.

The GT is lQQking real good for a second bike. I have a friend who is bugging me to sell him our LT, but I love the bike and don't want to part with it. Time will tell.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in