Whale Watching - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:07 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Whale Watching

Here's a question for the Seattle crew. Are there any decent whale watching cruises in early April? I know that's a bit early for Orcas, but may be OK for Gray whales.

Dayle's birthday is on Thursday April 6th, but I'll be up in Portland working. She needs to be in Lincoln City, OR that weekend for a writers workshop. So we're looking at flying her up a couple days early and going for a short bike ride. Maybe Washington in April isn't the best option, but it's what we have to work with.

I found a few places that talk about whale watching cruises online, but most are geared towards spring/summer. I saw a few private charters as well, but they can get pricey. Still, since we basically have a Thursday to work with, that may be the only reasonable option.

Any recommendations for specific companies? Or if this is a rather silly plan, how about a good marine museum in the area instead? One other option is maybe a loop around Port Angeles and down the coast, which we could split up over a couple of days.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:24 am

I can ask my brother-in-law and sister if they're interested in giving you a private cruise. They're fun...and party animals. Guaranteed 'a good time'.

Let me know what you think.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:50 am

Ken,
We do get grey whales in inland Puget sound but not that often. Same for killer whales. The greys transit the coast though. You may want to check with ocean shores or westport. April is a little early for killer whales, But I think you should be able to find some off the NW side of Sanjuan Island. I would not go with any outfit that does not go to the NW side of Sanjuan Island. The majority of the whales hang out between there, Henry Is and to turn point On Stuart Island. You could also take a ferry to sanjuan Is and go to lime kiln park. Theres a big bluff that great for whale watching for land lubbers.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Ken,
I have a habit of sticking my foot in my mouth..... A half hour after I posted about the whales not being around the sound 2 different pods of killer whales were seen playing off seattle. They also mentioned a grey whale being sited but I did not catch where. If It were me I would go with one of the big inflatable outfits. More up close and personal with nature and surroundings. I will check into it for you. I can always offer up a lunch or dinner cruise around the south sound on the Enticer if you like. But if you have never been to the sanjuans its a truly magical place that should not be missed.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
That depends, Joe, does he look anything like you?

I'm willing to consider all options at this point.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:42 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
You know Brian, I totally forgot that you actually have a boat, plus I wouldn't presume that it would be available on a whim during a weekday.

My biggest limitation is that we have to be in Lincoln City by 4 p.m. Friday, so I'm looking at Thursday for a play day. If there is a commercial outfit available this early in the year on a Thursday, that would be fine. Or maybe just taking the ferry across and back would be OK too. Most of the websites I found start in May and talk about weekends.

This may also be something best planned for another trip later in the season, but I figured I'd ask for advice and see what the options are.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 3:26 pm

I'm sure that you've checked this out...

http://www.oregoncoast.org/pages/con...eWathcing.html
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks, Art. I'll check it out.

Looking forward to seeing you and Marcia at WCR.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 13 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:27 am

Hopefully we'll bump into you a few times while you are up here.
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
I think Dayle and I are gonna stick to the coast this time. She's found a castle B&B in Wa, and a lighthouse B&B in OR. Should be fun, and we'll save San Juan Island for another trip. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Made it up to Hillsboro by 4:30 this afternoon. No rain the whole way up, though I'm sure that's gonna change tomorrow. No matter, as I've got a lot of work to do up here anyway.

So, where are we all going for dinner, and which night?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I think Dayle and I are gonna stick to the coast this time. She's found a castle B&B in Wa, and a lighthouse B&B in OR. Should be fun, and we'll save San Juan Island for another trip. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Made it up to Hillsboro by 4:30 this afternoon. No rain the whole way up, though I'm sure that's gonna change tomorrow. No matter, as I've got a lot of work to do up here anyway.

So, where are we all going for dinner, and which night?
Ken,

It sounds like you guys will have a lot of fun. Thanks for bringing up the great weather. I'm working nights so count me out for dinner during the week. But we are planning to get out for our first two-up ride on Sunday. We're not sure where we're headed until we look at the weather radar. No sense riding into a squall.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Ken,
I think you made a good choice, I think the Sanjuans will take a up lot of your time. I think 2 days min. I will be on the lookout for dinners and rides. I have not received my grand tour packet yet. Has any one else received theirs?

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Cool

No GT booklets yet Brian. We're anxiously awaiting them also!
Oh yeah, welcome back to your second home Ken!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in